Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 29, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #6,992 of 9,638
I looked at my box but the label seems to have been peeled off. It was an open box deal from Crutchfield so I suppose that partially explains it. The number is 3816 with 2018 being mentioned on the box so the date of manufacturing is probably somewhere around there. It looks and feels new. I used it every day since getting it but sparingly at that. It’s too bad it’s not the best fit with Dave. I’m tempted to try out T+A Solitaire.

Apr 29, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #6,995 of 9,638
That is so weird that the serial numbers do not represent or is not related to the manufacturing date and vice versa. I am confused as to how that works 😅

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #6,996 of 9,638
It could mean a number of things. I can’t remember the exact date when I purchased it but it was either late 2018 or early 2019. Someone obviously had them before me. That 2018 date could have been when the other person ordered it and ultimately returned. It doesn’t really say anything when it was manufactured but it’s some time before or during that 2018 mark but it could be earlier since the number is relatively low. Hopefully whoever gets them after me enjoys them as much as I did. I’m trading them in for something else later this year.

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #6,997 of 9,638
Mine also has the Russian language manufacturing date sticker above the main sticker. My set of cans also has Sony Europe on the inside of the neck, not Sony Japan. I wonder if this has an impact on the sticker and/or SN. I purchased directly from Amazon USA, though.

May 1, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #6,998 of 9,638
Oh, good point.. There's the "international" edition or whatever, right? I got mine on Crutchfield, which I guess is Sony's primary retailer here in the USA

May 1, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #6,999 of 9,638
They're all made at the same factory in Japan, and then presumably go to the different distributors. I can imagine batches of 100 here and there being "out of order," but I very much doubt that a 10,000 SN and a 5,000 SN leave Japan at roughly the same time.

May 2, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #7,000 of 9,638
hopefully have one coming, upgrading from a Z7, hoping it'd be a nice companion to my T1

May 3, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #7,002 of 9,638
Does anyone have impressions with the Dekoni Pads?
Thinking about purchasing a pair as I am hesitant to purchase from Japan Z1R replacement pads. (Last item I purchased from Japan took 4 months)

May 3, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #7,003 of 9,638
Does anyone have impressions with the Dekoni Pads?
Thinking about purchasing a pair as I am hesitant to purchase from Japan Z1R replacement pads. (Last item I purchased from Japan took 4 months)
Yup, there's some links buried here in this thread you can find thru the search bar.

I prefer the Dekoni lambskin because they're the closest to the stock sound.

May 3, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #7,004 of 9,638
I briefly had the Dekoni pads for my Z1R - I was impressed with the build, fit/finish, and comfort. For me, they changed the sound too much, but I had picked the velour pads so potentially other materials would have less impact on sound change.

May 3, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #7,005 of 9,638
I briefly had the Dekoni pads for my Z1R - I was impressed with the build, fit/finish, and comfort. For me, they changed the sound too much, but I had picked the velour pads so potentially other materials would have less impact on sound change.
Agreed. I had the same impression with the with Elite Hybrid pads. Too much top end energy (heard some sibilance that I couldn't tolerate) with those -- Dekoni was kind enough to swap them out with the lambskins for me, and that's what I'm using as my 'daily' pads. There may be a slight change to the sonic profile, but not enough to lose sleep over. Saving the [expensive] stock pads the wear and tear is worth it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back