Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 20, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #6,946 of 9,640
@MatW I’ve done a bit more listening to the Dave & Z1R pairing and I suppose the initial excitement/novelty has worn off. The sound seems somewhat confined compared to the open back Empyrean. Oddly, it wasn’t a problem when I had the TA amp. What has paired well for you when using Dave as a headphone amp? I’m considering either selling or trading them in for something else.
I don’t usually listen to closed back headphones in my setup 1, just thought I’d give it a try. I thought it sounded good but the pairing doesn’t transform the Z1R. It is a nice closed back headphone that I enjoy occasionally for its more bass-heavy sound signature. But in general I like my open back headphones more than the closed backs... and lately I tend to also favor IEMs over closed backs ... What ‘something else’ are you considering? I’m interested in trying the Empyrean again, now that I have a better set-up and the ability to EQ easily.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #6,947 of 9,640
I don’t usually listen to closed back headphones in my setup 1, just thought I’d give it a try. I thought it sounded good but the pairing doesn’t transform the Z1R. It is a nice closed back headphone that I enjoy occasionally for its more bass-heavy sound signature. But in general I like my open back headphones more than the closed backs... and lately I tend to also favor IEMs over closed backs ... What ‘something else’ are you considering? I’m interested in trying the Empyrean again, now that I have a better set-up and the ability to EQ easily.
I’m thinking of possibly going for Focal Utopia if it will pair well with the Dave. If not, I will probably put that money towards the M Scaler. Making Empyrean the main pair for the time being is not a difficult choice given how good they sound with everything.

Apr 20, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #6,948 of 9,640
Ps: the Z7 with stock cable sound better on the Dave than the Z1R with a Nordost Heimdall 2 cable. This hobby sure produces some weird experiences.
Have you tried with different genres or albums? Right now, I'm with my Z7s on and I enjoy some genres or albums more than others. But, maybe is due to my DAC/AMP (Asus Xonar Essence One). For example, I couldn't stand the highs in "Mike Oldifled - Two sides of the very best of", but previously I enjoyed a lot "Carreras, Domingo and Pavarotti in concert". There are albums which I prefer with my 9200s or HD 800s and I alternate between them.

I want to try the Z1R and, for comments I've read, I think Z7 would be more adequate for certain genres and Z1R for other genres. I don't know.

Apr 20, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #6,949 of 9,640
Have you tried with different genres or albums? Right now, I'm with my Z7s on and I enjoy some genres or albums more than others. But, maybe is due to my DAC/AMP (Asus Xonar Essence One). For example, I couldn't stand the highs in "Mike Oldifled - Two sides of the very best of", but previously I enjoyed a lot "Carreras, Domingo and Pavarotti in concert". There are albums which I prefer with my 9200s or HD 800s and I alternate between them.

I want to try the Z1R and, for comments I've read, I think Z7 would be more adequate for certain genres and Z1R for other genres. I don't know.
I went through a fairly wide spectrum over the course of about 3 days. The sound is just a little too much “in your head” compared to what it was before. I suppose this can be partially explained by the fact that the isolation is much better on Z1R than on Z7. Z1R sounded a little better on larger orchestral albums than on more intimate recordings. Also, it sound like there is a slight uptake on the treble but I don’t experience the same phenomenon when using Empyrean.

At any rate, I intend to keep the Z7 as it’s a good all purpose headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #6,950 of 9,640
Hi guys, not sure if anyone had any experience with using the z1r with hugo 2 and sony's wm1a. I am getting more intrigued with getting the sony wm1a for a truly portable setup. I already have a hugo2go which is somewhat portable and I am wondering how the z1r sounds with the wm1a vs the hugo 2, should I just stick with my hugo 2?

Apr 21, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #6,951 of 9,640
Hi guys, not sure if anyone had any experience with using the z1r with hugo 2 and sony's wm1a. I am getting more intrigued with getting the sony wm1a for a truly portable setup. I already have a hugo2go which is somewhat portable and I am wondering how the z1r sounds with the wm1a vs the hugo 2, should I just stick with my hugo 2?
I had. I think it is about sound preference. You should listen for yourself which pair you like more. For me wma+Z1r has a better synergy with the soundstage to have more depth, when h2+z1r for me is a bit flat but with more details and punch. Keep in mind that h2 has crossfeed option that you may like. Overall I think h2 is more versatile and better sounding device, so no need to change, only if you like wma sound signature much more .

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #6,952 of 9,640
I had. I think it is about sound preference. You should listen for yourself which pair you like more. For me wma+Z1r has a better synergy with the soundstage to have more depth, when h2+z1r for me is a bit flat but with more details and punch. Keep in mind that h2 has crossfeed option that you may like. Overall I think h2 is more versatile and better sounding device, so no need to change, only if you like wma sound signature much more .
Thank you. You might have saved me some money :xf_cool:

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #6,953 of 9,640
very interesting!

the opposite for me: I own a WM1A and WM1Z and a Hugo2, and I don't use my Z1R with the Sonys anymore since I got the H2...completely different presentation but the depth and definition of the H2 will keep me here forever...

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #6,954 of 9,640
very interesting!

the opposite for me: I own a WM1A and WM1Z and a Hugo2, and I don't use my Z1R with the Sonys anymore since I got the H2...completely different presentation but the depth and definition of the H2 will keep me here forever...
What I meant is that combination wm1a + z1r has more laid back presentation, when with h2 the sound is right in front of you.

Apr 21, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #6,955 of 9,640
It would seem that there’s more synergy between Sony headphones and Sony daps/amps that’s much easier on the ears than between Sony headphones and Chord amps. Still, I don’t think I would be using the Z1Rs with the TA amp much now that I have the Chord Dave. It just pairs extremely well with the Meze Empyrean. It’s not an end game pairing in and of itself but it will get there within this year or so. Maybe early next year.

Apr 22, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #6,956 of 9,640
Just sharing my custom transport case for the z1r. This is not a pelican case. Just found a cheap case that has pick and pluck foam and then wrapped it with silk fabric. Works great.

Attachments

• IMG_20210422_144652.jpg
    IMG_20210422_144652.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210422_144711.jpg
    IMG_20210422_144711.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #6,957 of 9,640
Just sharing my custom transport case for the z1r. This is not a pelican case. Just found a cheap case that has pick and pluck foam and then wrapped it with silk fabric. Works great.
Nicely done! It kind of reminds me of the hard case for Meze Empyrean, which really comes in handy when traveling or bringing them to a store to try out new amps/streamers. I’m kind of tempted to have one made for Chord Dave for transporting it. Lugging around an $11000 piece of equipment in a cardboard box seems like a really stupid idea. How much labor did it take to hollow out those shapes? With Dave’s shape it would take much less effort.

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #6,958 of 9,640
Lugging around an $11000 piece of equipment in a cardboard box seems like a really stupid idea.
Fixed that for you... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #6,959 of 9,640
Fixed that for you... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I don’t do that routinely. I only take such things with me on vacation. It’s nice to get away from everything and spend a week in the mountains and enjoy some peace and quiet. Good music definitely adds to this experience.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #6,960 of 9,640
Nicely done! It kind of reminds me of the hard case for Meze Empyrean, which really comes in handy when traveling or bringing them to a store to try out new amps/streamers. I’m kind of tempted to have one made for Chord Dave for transporting it. Lugging around an $11000 piece of equipment in a cardboard box seems like a really stupid idea. How much labor did it take to hollow out those shapes? With Dave’s shape it would take much less effort.
Don't put the "Chord Dave" name outside of the box and leave the box alone... But maybe just a really few people know what a Dave is... Maybe they think you have your friend Dave in the box :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back