Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Nov 29, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #6,241 of 9,634
This is what the manual says that I found online:

"To clean the headband and earpads, occasionally wipe them with a dry soft cloth. If it is still dirty, wipe and tap softly with a soft cloth moistened with hot water until it is cleaned. Do not use any detergent solution or maintenance agent for leather, otherwise the leather may be damaged by discoloration, deformation and degradation".

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #6,242 of 9,634
I'm loving how my Z1R sounds with the iFi Neo and A50s amp. The soundstage has really good width and depth and I think it's as good as my Arya which is crazy to say for a closed headphone. Vocals are more forward and the mids in general standout a bit more in the mix and the highs aren't quite as peaky as before. The Neo has made them come alive and they sound much better than with my D50s and SP200 which is surprising because I didn't expect this much of a difference.

Dec 1, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #6,244 of 9,634
So wipe down with some mild soap and apply some kind of conditioner once in a while?
I use non-alcoholic wet wipes; I've been using them to clean my headphones for years, and they remain in great condition. When wiping, don't rub the surfaces too hard, or they might scratch; gently wipe the affected surfaces (pads, headband, etc.), then dry them off with tissue paper.

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #6,246 of 9,634
I use non-alcoholic wet wipes; I've been using them to clean my headphones for years, and they remain in great condition. When wiping, don't rub the surfaces too hard, or they might scratch; gently wipe the affected surfaces (pads, headband, etc.), then dry them off with tissue paper.
Do they have wet wipes for alcoholics? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think it was you who got me into the good practice. I had heard that it is very hard to find original replacement pads, good to know the Dekoni pads are tried and reviewed - thanks @gerelmx1986

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #6,247 of 9,634

I think it was you who got me into the good practice. I had heard that it is very hard to find original replacement pads, good to know the Dekoni pads are tried and reviewed - thanks @gerelmx1986

That's a myth. encompass.com has the Sony parts and they're not more expensive than the Dekoni.

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #6,248 of 9,634
That's a myth. encompass.com has the Sony parts and they're not more expensive than the Dekoni.

In Europe from the Sony parts partner the pads cost near twice the price of the cheaper Dekoni pads and still a fair bit more than the most expensive Dekoni

Dec 2, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #6,250 of 9,634

Yeah, keeping my headphones free from sweat and oils (ugh!) has kept the external surfaces in great shape; I haven't had to swap pads (due to damage) on any of my headphones for several years now. :)

Actually, a pair of original replacement pads retail for over $200 -

1606934440993.png

They are discounted by approximately 10% in the aforementioned listings. Hence, the original pads are nearly twice as expensive as Dekoni's most expensive replacement option -

1606935558847.png

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #6,251 of 9,634
I had the same reaction as you. Some vocals were very sibilant or buzzy/digital and I didn’t like that part but loved everything else. So I EQd them semi-aggressively to get all the peaks and valleys closer to the Harman AE curve using an ADI-2 DAC (it only has 5 PEQ filters/bands available though). I also dialed in a Base/Treble setting on the ADI-2 DAC to add a shelf filter on the lower bass.

These settings made the Z1R for me the best sounding headphone I had every listened to.

Obviously my settings may not be to anyones liking, but I just wanted to say, try some EQ (I was a no-DSP purist before the Z1R and just changed cables, tube rolled, opamp rolled, etc. to get the sound I wanted. With the ADI-2 DAC’s DSP abilities, that all changed, and I now really enjoy the stock cables on my Z1Rs.

Here are my PEQ settings (all peak filters) if anyone is interested:
Band1: Gain +1.0, Freq 1.35k, Q 2.7
B2: +4.5, 2.9k, Q 9.9
B3: -7.5, 3.3k, Q 3.3
B4: +8, 4.2k, Q 3.1
B5: -5.5, 10.0k, Q 3.6

Bass/Treble:
Bass: gain +2.0, 85Hz, Q 0.9
Treble: 0/no change

I know some say the Z1R already is a bass-heavy can, but I’m a bit of a basshead :wink:

edit: attached pic of PEQ curve on ADI-2 DAC’s display.

3B4F7263-24E1-4975-BD71-7EEFDB451327.jpeg
I just got an RME ADI-2 FS - do you still use these settings? I'll give them a go.

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #6,252 of 9,634
I wasn't expecting shoddy build quality from Sony the sony kimber 4.4mm cable I got January this year is already failing at the plug side (4.4mm side). I am so disappointed.

Thankfully got a real kimber axios from @nc8000

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #6,253 of 9,634
I wasn't expecting shoddy build quality from Sony the sony kimber 4.4mm cable I got January this year is already failing at the plug side (4.4mm side). I am so disappointed.

Thankfully got a real kimber axios from @nc8000
And for EU 2-year warrantt also applies for headphone cables?

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #6,254 of 9,634
And for EU 2-year warrantt also applies for headphone cables?

First year warranty where faults are assumed to have been present from the start. Second year the buyer has to reasonably prove that the fault was present from the start. In both cases there must be no sign of misuse of the product

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #6,255 of 9,634
First year warranty where faults are assumed to have been present from the start. Second year the buyer has to reasonably prove that the fault was present from the start. In both cases there must be no sign of misuse of the product
Bought from amazon Germany, I checked the page for the cable. It says currently unavailable, we don't know when or if it will be available again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back