Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 4, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #3,346 of 9,633
Hi

I just wanted to get some advice please. I I have about £3000-£3500 budget to get a headphone, amp and DAC( but i currently have a sound card that has a ok-ish DAC,so this might not be important as the rest). My current headphone and AMP are the Sennheiser HD650 and Hifiman 400, my amp is Schiit magni 3.

I just ordered a pair of Sony Z1R and was wondering if this would be fine with my Schiit magni 3?

I was going to order the sony TA-ZH1ES headphone AMD to go with the headphone or would the Schiit magni 3 be ok. Would I get better sound quality with the sony AMP?

Also would be be worth me ordering the Sony Kimber kable? I have seen several people suggest this not sure what this will do and its expensive.

I was thinking of saving half my budget for the stax SR-009.

or

I could order the stax SR-009 and try to find a very cheap second hand amp for about £400-£500 while i save up another year for a better amp and dac?

My music preferences are very wide and I do fair amount of online gaming, movies ect. I do listen to a lot of classical music and hiphop, instruments, ect, so its wide. I only want to buy once now and wait a few years before upgrading to anything so its a one time purchase, need to get it correct.

any advice would be appreciated, unfortunately i live far away from anywhere that would allow me to sample the headphones to i have to buy without hearing and rely on reviews and personal advice from people who own them.

Thank You
On the matter of cables, I think you can wait for a good deal and get them used. I've managed to pick up some great deals online just doing it this way.
I was lucky when I got my Z1R. The previous owner was someone I had traded with before and he sold the headphones with 2 of the Sony kimber cables to me for a really low price. Not only were the cans at a heavily discounted price, but the cables were essentially free.
Patience has its merits.

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #3,347 of 9,633
Just listened to the Norah Jones album Come away with Me on my Z1R from the TA amp in the DSD version over usb from the Auralic Aries Mini and I detect absolutely no shrill or sharp passages at any point

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #3,348 of 9,633
Hi

I just wanted to get some advice please. I I have about £3000-£3500 budget to get a headphone, amp and DAC( but i currently have a sound card that has a ok-ish DAC,so this might not be important as the rest). My current headphone and AMP are the Sennheiser HD650 and Hifiman 400, my amp is Schiit magni 3.

I just ordered a pair of Sony Z1R and was wondering if this would be fine with my Schiit magni 3?

I was going to order the sony TA-ZH1ES headphone AMD to go with the headphone or would the Schiit magni 3 be ok. Would I get better sound quality with the sony AMP?

Also would be be worth me ordering the Sony Kimber kable? I have seen several people suggest this not sure what this will do and its expensive.

I was thinking of saving half my budget for the stax SR-009.

or

I could order the stax SR-009 and try to find a very cheap second hand amp for about £400-£500 while i save up another year for a better amp and dac?

My music preferences are very wide and I do fair amount of online gaming, movies ect. I do listen to a lot of classical music and hiphop, instruments, ect, so its wide. I only want to buy once now and wait a few years before upgrading to anything so its a one time purchase, need to get it correct.

any advice would be appreciated, unfortunately i live far away from anywhere that would allow me to sample the headphones to i have to buy without hearing and rely on reviews and personal advice from people who own them.

Thank You

You really have to go to a meet or a showroom to listen to gear. That or really somehow get a clue about stuff by reading enough, and knowing what tone you like.

I have not heard the STAX SR-009 but heard almost everything else STAX have made. It’s a different sound than the Z1R. There may be folks who own both STAX systems and a TA/ Z1R but the two are pretty much opposites. No one is wrong or right.....but it’s just that many are more attracted to the SR-009 sound where a different group are fine with the Z1R.

The Sony MUC-B20SB1 will help get the Z1R to a better place with the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/Amp.........but it’s difficult to just take my word that it’s going to be end-game for you too? That’s why listening really has no equal in deciding for yourself what is the right move.

The TA is nice and designed to make the most out of the Z1R. The added cable upgrade takes it all to another level. Myself.....I’m pretty happy.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #3,349 of 9,633
just finished listening to ellen doty's come fall through my z1r.

i'm devastated. how deeply emotionally moving.

when i sold my beloved lcd-4 (because my family complained about sound leakage) along with my beloved hdvd 800 and replaced them with the z1r+muc+ta i thought this was kind of "the next best thing".

i now came to realize this was actuallly an upgrade.

i'm in awe.

Jul 7, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #3,352 of 9,633
just finished listening to ellen doty's come fall through my z1r.

i'm devastated. how deeply emotionally moving.

when i sold my beloved lcd-4 (because my family complained about sound leakage) along with my beloved hdvd 800 and replaced them with the z1r+muc+ta i thought this was kind of "the next best thing".

i now came to realize this was actuallly an upgrade.

i'm in awe.
Welcome Brother Rosci, to the cult--I mean Church--of the Sony.

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #3,353 of 9,633
I've been part of the "Church" for two weeks now & i'm just sent to "aural heaven" everytime i listen. I've NEVER heard anything like the Z1R's. What is so different, is what you CAN'T hear in another headphone ! I don't know what technology creates this amazing sound, but i'm just thankful to Sony ! ( I really don't ever need to buy another headphone, as long as i live. )

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #3,354 of 9,633
I've been part of the "Church" for two weeks now & i'm just sent to "aural heaven" everytime i listen. I've NEVER heard anything like the Z1R's. What is so different, is what you CAN'T hear in another headphone ! I don't know what technology creates this amazing sound, but i'm just thankful to Sony ! ( I really don't ever need to buy another headphone, as long as i live. )

That’s eactly my feeling as well but at the same time I realize that these are special headphones that do things their own way and that this way will not be right for many people and that this way comes at a price (not money) as there then are things the Z1R don’t and can’t do that other phones specialize in.

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #3,355 of 9,633
Ever since I got my Kimber Axios for the Z1R, I've been using it almost exclusively. It's weird that this cans somehow is a more comfortable fit for me compared to the Empys.

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #3,356 of 9,633
That’s eactly my feeling as well but at the same time I realize that these are special headphones that do things their own way and that this way will not be right for many people and that this way comes at a price (not money) as there then are things the Z1R don’t and can’t do that other phones specialize in.

Obviously, there's many headphones, that i have never heard, or never will !....but as i said, i've never heard anything like this before. They are absolutley addictive & just leave me amazed, each time.

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #3,357 of 9,633
Ever since I got my Kimber Axios for the Z1R, I've been using it almost exclusively. It's weird that this cans somehow is a more comfortable fit for me compared to the Empys.
Please describe a little more how do you find the Z1R compared to Empy, both on confort and sound, specially on Mojo.
Isn't the Z1R a little more hot on the head?

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #3,358 of 9,633
Please describe a little more how do you find the Z1R compared to Empy, both on confort and sound, specially on Mojo.
Isn't the Z1R a little more hot on the head?

Don't get me wrong Empy is comfortable but lately I've been preferring the Z1R. Somehow, just somehow, the weight distribution is so perfect that every time I wear it, I can go on for hours without feeling pressure points on the top of my head. I felt it faster when I'm wearing Empy.

Sound wise, the Z1R to me feels like it's on a wider soundstage. Definitely very musical and neutral. I don't think it's bassy at all.

Those are impressions based on all of my DAPs other than Mojo though. I haven't used my Mojo ever since I got my other stuff...

Jul 10, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #3,359 of 9,633
Don't get me wrong Empy is comfortable but lately I've been preferring the Z1R. Somehow, just somehow, the weight distribution is so perfect that every time I wear it, I can go on for hours without feeling pressure points on the top of my head. I felt it faster when I'm wearing Empy.

Sound wise, the Z1R to me feels like it's on a wider soundstage. Definitely very musical and neutral. I don't think it's bassy at all.

Those are impressions based on all of my DAPs other than Mojo though. I haven't used my Mojo ever since I got my other stuff...

Thanks.
Yes the Z1R soundtage is something I've seen praised several times, moreover being a closed back.

Jul 10, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #3,360 of 9,633
Help needed: i have two choices..i'm currently using hugo2/mscaler with oppo PM1 and very good results. My budget allows me one of the two following options. Upgrade to a hugo TT2 to use with my current mscaler and PM1 or buy a Z1R to use with my hugo2/mscaler. I've auditioned the sony and was very happy. This Friday i audition the TT2 with my PM1. I'm torn between the two options.....so will the TT2 enhance my PM1 to the point where the investment pays off or would a Z1R added to my current rig result in a totally transformed sound different to my PM1 which the sony would compliment and give me more good listening than a substantial dac upgrade to the TT2. All feedback much appreciated. Thanks MK. This is a new chapter of learning and a big step forward for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back