Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 2, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #3,331 of 9,633
Not putting ANY words in your mouth; simply asking a question based on your response to his post and other's replies...

Does it make sense that all three manufacturers would have the same type of issues? And if so, is it likely that these issues would be caused by each manufacturer designing inferior cables for their four-figure, state-of-the-art closed headphones?

The poster made their analysis. I respect the posters impression. I’m not in a position to make a judgement of any kind with regard to that impression. I simply suggested that it was possible the cable mentioned is possibly more linear than the others. I make no judgement on that topic either, rather I offer food for thought. It’s best we make our judgements knowing that each impression is valid for that individual poster.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 2, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #3,332 of 9,633
More linearity costs more. The peak on HD800 is at 6k, on Z1R is 3k and on Focals are above 7k so these are different situations ( from their drivers). The metrics for headphones are generally +-6db so there's no need for further compensations, from the companies' aspects. Audiophiles could asks for more themselves.

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #3,333 of 9,633
The poster made their analysis. I respect the posters impression. I’m not in a position to make a judgement of any kind with regard to that impression. I simply suggested that it was possible the cable mentioned is possibly more linear than the others. I make no judgement on that topic either, rather I offer food for thought. It’s best we make our judgements knowing that each impression is valid for that individual poster.

Totally get that the poster hears what they hear. :)

"No judgement" on cable linearity. Yet offering up that it's possibly more linear than others...food for thought...Got it.

I'm confused as to what your judgement or impression is then.

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #3,334 of 9,633
More linearity costs more. The peak on HD800 is at 6k, on Z1R is 3k and on Focals are above 7k so these are different situations ( from their drivers). The metrics for headphones are generally +-6db so there's no need for further compensations, from the companies' aspects. Audiophiles could asks for more themselves.

Kinda figured they might measure differently. :wink:

That aside, there are a variety of options available when a user listens to their headphones...be it Sony, Senn, Focal, etc.

They can embrace the stock FR of the headphones; or apply EQ; or mod them (including 3rd party cables) -- all valid solutions depending on the user's preferences.

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #3,335 of 9,633
Totally get that the poster hears what they hear. :)

"No judgement" on cable linearity. Yet offering up that it's possibly more linear than others...food for thought...Got it.

I'm confused as to what your judgement or impression is then.

Why be confused? I didn’t make a judgement or offer an impression. I’m not exactly sure what your question is. If you’re asking for my impression on the Z1R cable upgrade to the Sony Kimber cable, I’d say there is an obvious difference to my ears. I prefer that difference personally over the stock cable. I’ve heard many different cables on the Z1R, some with good results and some not so impressive. My number 1 most noted criteria is gauge just like speakers are affected by gauge

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 3, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #3,336 of 9,633
Kinda figured they might measure differently. :wink:

That aside, there are a variety of options available when a user listens to their headphones...be it Sony, Senn, Focal, etc.

They can embrace the stock FR of the headphones; or apply EQ; or mod them (including 3rd party cables) -- all valid solutions depending on the user's preferences.
Of course, choose whatever method for whatever reasons one could accept personally. Nevertheless don't make presumptions like they all have similar impacts in terms of SQ.

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #3,337 of 9,633
Of course, choose whatever method for whatever reasons one could accept personally. Nevertheless don't make presumptions like they all have similar impacts in terms of SQ.

Yep...some are way more 'impactful' (to my ears of course) for solving FR 'problems' than others. :wink:

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #3,338 of 9,633
I’ve never had any discomfort - aural or physical - with my Z1R, just a luxury experience all round.

Had a very enjoyable time with Mark Kozelek’s eponymous album recently. I was using my Leben CS300XS for amplification. Great match.

rINaXS5.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #3,342 of 9,633
Z1r is available again in uk. Another Sony centers informed me it is still current product.

And amazon UK lists it as in stock on 8th July

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #3,343 of 9,633
Hi

I just wanted to get some advice please. I I have about £3000-£3500 budget to get a headphone, amp and DAC( but i currently have a sound card that has a ok-ish DAC,so this might not be important as the rest). My current headphone and AMP are the Sennheiser HD650 and Hifiman 400, my amp is Schiit magni 3.

I just ordered a pair of Sony Z1R and was wondering if this would be fine with my Schiit magni 3?

I was going to order the sony TA-ZH1ES headphone AMD to go with the headphone or would the Schiit magni 3 be ok. Would I get better sound quality with the sony AMP?

Also would be be worth me ordering the Sony Kimber kable? I have seen several people suggest this not sure what this will do and its expensive.

I was thinking of saving half my budget for the stax SR-009.

or

I could order the stax SR-009 and try to find a very cheap second hand amp for about £400-£500 while i save up another year for a better amp and dac?

My music preferences are very wide and I do fair amount of online gaming, movies ect. I do listen to a lot of classical music and hiphop, instruments, ect, so its wide. I only want to buy once now and wait a few years before upgrading to anything so its a one time purchase, need to get it correct.

any advice would be appreciated, unfortunately i live far away from anywhere that would allow me to sample the headphones to i have to buy without hearing and rely on reviews and personal advice from people who own them.

Thank You

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #3,345 of 9,633
Hi

I just wanted to get some advice please. I I have about £3000-£3500 budget to get a headphone, amp and DAC( but i currently have a sound card that has a ok-ish DAC,so this might not be important as the rest). My current headphone and AMP are the Sennheiser HD650 and Hifiman 400, my amp is Schiit magni 3.

I just ordered a pair of Sony Z1R and was wondering if this would be fine with my Schiit magni 3?

I was going to order the sony TA-ZH1ES headphone AMD to go with the headphone or would the Schiit magni 3 be ok. Would I get better sound quality with the sony AMP?

Also would be be worth me ordering the Sony Kimber kable? I have seen several people suggest this not sure what this will do and its expensive.

I was thinking of saving half my budget for the stax SR-009.

or

I could order the stax SR-009 and try to find a very cheap second hand amp for about £400-£500 while i save up another year for a better amp and dac?

My music preferences are very wide and I do fair amount of online gaming, movies ect. I do listen to a lot of classical music and hiphop, instruments, ect, so its wide. I only want to buy once now and wait a few years before upgrading to anything so its a one time purchase, need to get it correct.

any advice would be appreciated, unfortunately i live far away from anywhere that would allow me to sample the headphones to i have to buy without hearing and rely on reviews and personal advice from people who own them.

Thank You
personally, i would advise against buying different components without testing them and then just hoping that this will lead to a good result.

synergy is important. and a given component may be great in one setup and fail to meet expectations in a different setup.

i understand you've already ordered your z1r. you're up for a blind date with a strong personality. one that many people fall in love with and others never come around to like.

so, if you ask me, wait for your z1r to arrive, see how much you like them with your current setup. if you're happy then just stick with it.

if you find it wanting then try to figure out whether:
1) you like the sound of your z1r and the rest of your rig falls short.
2) or you're not entirely happy with the sound of your z1r as such - because you may not like its personality.

if the former is true then i suppose the ta-zh1es is kind of a safe bet.

if the latter is true then i would advise against trying to fix things by buying different gear. you don't like the way they sound, you may want to return them.

once you're happy with the synergy of your system by and large then you may consider buying the sony kimber kable. i did not find it changing the personality of my z1r all that much. rather i thought that it just sounded a tad "less constrained" compared to the stock cable it came with, if that makes any sense. a bit more holographic, a tad more organic, a slight bit more open. don't expect miracles from a cable though. and again, don't try to fix something you don't like by replacing cables. imho cables can perhaps optimize something that's already great. but they can't fix something you don't like to begin with.

just my 2 cts. i hope this helps.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back