Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 13, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #2,896 of 9,633
TA-Z1ES is quite over-priced for performance. I was quite disappointed based on it's retail and it's performance. I've been let down by high-end Sony stuff most often that I really don't expect their products to perform their value.

S-master DAC sounds ordinary, the amp sounds ordinary. Why should I expect any of their future stuff to perform if they price theirs like this?

I'm happy with my TA. Don't really think it was overpriced, but find it hard to justify the cost of the Z1R's, being even more expensive than the TA !

Apr 13, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #2,897 of 9,633
I'm happy with my TA. Don't really think it was overpriced, but find it hard to justify the cost of the Z1R's, being even more expensive than the TA !

And I’m very happy with both. Find them expensive but not overpriced

Apr 14, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #2,898 of 9,633
And I’m very happy with both. Find them expensive but not overpriced

I know, you've often said. Just wish i could decide whether to purchase the Z1R's....last time i looked on Amazon it said availability 1 -2 months, again.

Just checked availability again, "temp out of stock"....it doesn't look like i will be able to buy a pair now, without going import & that would be even more costly.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #2,899 of 9,633
I do hear the TA's Amp stage is quite lackluster, but that collections of connectors, and their proprietary DSP, hmm~ well everyone have a dofferent set of price and expectations.

I wanted to buy a Z1R but having the Z7 and listening my music alot while in bed I heard that the Z1R is utterly unconfortable in bed being too big and touching the pillow. The Z7 are simply perfect in size. What is your experience? Is the Z1R a good improvement to the already amazing Z7 which is the best can of all time for me and I own quite a few headphones? As Amp/Dac at the moment I am using a Topping DX7s with the Balanced 4 pin XLR, A Loxjie P20 also balanced. Waiting for the THX 789. I own also a Fostex TP50RP mk3 with Shure Pads and it sounds fantastic with more highs then the Z7 but less Bass. Love both. I own many more like the Audiotecnica W5000, AKG 712 Pro, ATH AD900X, Sennheiser HD6XX, 58X, 598sr, 598Cs and more... The Z7 is my first choice hands down together the Fostex. The 712 Pro sounds amazing too and I compared it to the HD800 and it sounded better imo with much better bass response and same level of detail but have a very low wattage imput so it distorts quite easily raising the volume.
IMO, comfort is paramount, the Z1R's cups is indeed bigger than most and it would get in the way if you really like to do that night time listening on your bed.
So I suggest, don't get it. Or.... Just use a small pillow to support the back of your head so you can use it.
There's an easy solution to everything~

Apr 14, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #2,900 of 9,633
I guess whether it's overpriced depends on the (potential) buyer's use case. If one doesn't have particular needs for closed cans, sure, there may be better deals out there.

I needed a decent pair of closed cans to enjoy music with reasonable isolation. Auditioned quite a number of TOTL closed cans before finally deciding on picking up Z1R earlier this year. To my ears, it was the best closed cans out there, all things considered.

In that sense, I regard Z1R to be a real bargain, made possible only because the manufacturer was SONY (and not a smallish boutique shop).

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #2,901 of 9,633
I guess whether it's overpriced depends on the (potential) buyer's use case. If one doesn't have particular needs for closed cans, sure, there may be better deals out there.

I needed a decent pair of close cans to enjoy music with reasonable isolation. Auditioned quite a number of TOTL closed cans before finally deciding on picking up Z1R earlier this year. To my ears, it was the best closed cans out there, all things considered.

In that sense, I regard Z1R to be a real bargain, made possible only because the manufacturer was SONY (and not a smallish boutique shop).

I specifically needed a closed can and at the same time totally fell in love with the Z1R sound sig so for me as well it is a total bargain that I’ve had for over 2 years now with absolutely no desire to even try something else

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #2,902 of 9,633
Does the sony soundstage compare to that of open cans with good soundstage?

Also is the bass too heavy for jazz type music or classical?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #2,903 of 9,633
Does the sony soundstage compare to that of open cans with good soundstage?

Also is the bass too heavy for jazz type music or classical?

Great soundstage that compare to some open cans, but don't think it compares with the best sounstaging open cans. Bottom line, really acceptable soundstage unless you are a soundstage fanatic. If you are sensitive to bass or prefer neutral sound, they may not be for you. If you like some extra bass and some coloration but tastefully done, then they would be no problem.

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #2,904 of 9,633
Great soundstage that compare to some open cans, but don't think it compares with the best sounstaging open cans. Bottom line, really acceptable soundstage unless you are a soundstage fanatic. If you are sensitive to bass or prefer neutral sound, they may not be for you. If you like some extra bass and some coloration but tastefully done, then they would be no problem.
Yes, I can concur with your findings. The Z1R’s has an nice open soundstage. But it gets bested by open headphones in a similar price range. The TH900’s have a deceptively more open sound than the Z1R’s as well. But I attribute that to the airy, bright treble. The Z1R’s are definitely not neutral. But they trade neutrality for musicality and are some of the best at producing music.

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #2,906 of 9,633
Just picked up my first hifi headphones (Sony Z1R) and totally digging the sound. So much better than my Apple AirPods haha.

Do you guys recommend using a headphone stand with these? If so which one’s best?
I would recommend a headphone stand for conveniences sake. The Woo Audio stands and the Bendyhead stands are what we use in the store.

The Woo stand is a wide headband hanging type stand and uses a lot of solid aluminum. The Bendyhead is nice and lightweight and tall enough that you don't have to adjust the headphones when you put it on it.

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #2,907 of 9,633
i personally don't like to use stands for certain headphones, because i am paranoid the foam will get compressed, if I hang them I fear about the headband padding and if i put them on a stand then I fear about the pads LOL wow call me paranoid, I put them on a small end table on top of a fluffy towel next to my desk.

Am i been too paranoid? LOL

Apr 18, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #2,909 of 9,633
Silverstone make this which i use with my PM1. Solid aluminium built like a tank.

s-l300.jpg

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #2,910 of 9,633
I was thinking of getting a Stellia and selling my Z1R. For that end, I took (in absence of a Stellia) an Utopia (which are similar to the Stellia in sound, but of course open back, brighter and less bass-prone) and made a thorough comparison. One result was really interesting, the Z1R had the better soundstage. Besides that, both play music very differently indeed ... the Utopias highlight voices and other dominant parts, whereas the Z1R tends to put them in the background. Overall, I found the Utopias superior, but the Z1R held their ground especially on a big amp (ifi iCan Pro) but also on a DAP it wasn't bad at all - treble could be a bit shouty on the Sony and the bass was not as refined as on the Utopias to my ears... One big surprise was that my wife preferred the Z1R for classical music at one point with the big amp, wow! Thinking of holding on to my Z1r now and saving tons of money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back