Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Mar 30, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #2,851 of 9,633
It's so wild how differently we all hear things. I absolutely love these headphones. I got them as a closed back companion to my HE1000 v2 and they've been serving me well. While the HEKs no doubt beat the Z1Rs in soundstage and imaging, I honestly think the Sony Z1R competes very competently with them with regards to overall tone, resolution, instrument separation, and detailed treble without being too bright. When I don't want to bother my fiance and I reach for the Z1Rs I don't feel like I'm missing much in quality at all, it's just a slightly different experience. In fact they add deeper bass, sub bass and some extra energy which makes it feel kind of refreshing when i listen to them, especially with certain genres.

I'm not trying to be defensive here just because I own them, I just want to make sure the positive side is represented for anyone considering them. I auditioned a number of totl closed back contenders before choosing the Z1Rs including Mr. Speaker Ether Flow C, ZMF Eikon and Atticus and Fostex TH900. All of them had their merits and I can see how someone with different sound preferences could choose any of them over the Z1R, but they just didn't do it for me personally. One thing about the Z1R that beat the others handily was the ability to minimize sound leakage (leakage both in and out). This was VERY important to me as sound isolation was really the only reason I wanted a closed back headphone in the first place. If i didn't need sound isolation then I would have just stuck with the HEKs. As much as I enjoy the Z1R I just don't think closed backs can quite touch the overall sound quality of open backs. The fit and finish of the Z1R also really impresses me. It's good looking and insanely comfortable, even competing with the HE1000 for that crown IMO. I did find all of the contenders to be aesthetically pleasing headphones with the exception of the Ether C Flow which didn't feel unique enough for me.

I came close to buying the TH900, but the sound leakage took it out of consideration and it did sound a little bright to my ear. I also came close to buying the Eikon, but I just didn't enjoy the sound as much as the Z1R, they also leaked a bit more and while not uncomfortable, they didn't come close to the Z1Rs comfort.

My first response to a thread / post .. Hope I did this right ? .. Thanks for your candor and as to defensive you certainly do not come across as such .. I own Utopia's, TH900's and the Z1R and hence relate much to what's being said in this thread as to the Z1R's - I used to own the HE100 v2, LCD-4's but not at the same time as acquiring the Utopia .. The 1st time i put the Utopia on I was amazed .. after that every experience has gone flat and flatter .. I love the TH900's and consider them a keeper .. The Z1R's are a keeper for me as well .. Yes, I'm a Sony hold out for all that is Sony, despite their doubtful standing as of late in sound and vision fields .. ! find the Z1R amazing in build, uniqueness re same and they can come through when least expected .. I personally find the staging intimate and true .. a pureness to all levels, bass to treble ~w stereo separation marvelous, more than not .. The Z1R's are my go to HP's after my go to HP's per se .. I'm hanging onto them :)

Mar 30, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #2,852 of 9,633
I dont have a DAP but I use the Dragonfly Red connected to my iPhone with a CCK and it sounds really good and very convenient. Search in in the thread and you will find all kinds of different DAP recommendations. The good think is the Z1R is not that hard to drive. Enjoy, welcome back.
i also have the dragon fly red with the Z1R and I use it with Roon and tidal masters and quobez with all FLAC files have you tried the Sony signature Walkman or desktop amp. If so do you it’s a lot better than the dragon fly red. I also want to know should I upgrade to the Kimber Cable

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #2,853 of 9,633
Ended up biting the bullet on the PHA-2A, should be here Tuesday. It should make for a good audio solution for my laptop, while allowing me to dip a toe into balanced audio. It's really a shame the 4.4mm connector isn't terribly common in entry/mid-level amps yet.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #2,854 of 9,633
Agreed, thankfully at least some popular DAP brands have started to implement them now too.

Apr 2, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #2,855 of 9,633
Hi all, just want to share my experience about my MDR-Z1R with ZX300 walkman. I bought mine a few months back and was having a hard time liking it. To start off, most of the stuff that l listen to are pop and rock songs, some EDMS, in many recordings the electric guitars and vocal sound were unbearable/brutal even at moderate volume, sounded "too loud" and and as if the singers were "shouting" at me....THEN, I upgraded to the Sony Kimber Kable 4.4mm just yesterday, and WHOA... what an upgrade, everything sounded so much gentle to my ears now!
Was the stock silver + copper cable that terrible? Sony should have bundled the Kimber as stock cable!

Apr 5, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #2,856 of 9,633
I just received the moon audio black dragon cable for Z1R and it didn't include the screw lock connector, I thought somebody here confirmed they had it. Just want to make sure if I got the wrong cable or not. I just emailed them but wanted to confirm here, because i bought the cable base on the feedback here that it had screw locking mechanism.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #2,857 of 9,633
I have the Moon Audio Black Dragon and it does indeed plug in and then screw in.

Realamb was the one LOL, no biggie I guess I will hear from Moon Audio tomorrow. I prefer the screw mechanism because my left headhophne end does not lock the cable tight enough and the screw helps to lock it in place. If the cable does not screw I will return it and get the Sony Kimber

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #2,858 of 9,633
Realamb was the one LOL, no biggie I guess I will hear from Moon Audio tomorrow. I prefer the screw mechanism because my left headhophne end does not lock the cable tight enough and the screw helps to lock it in place. If the cable does not screw I will return it and get the Sony Kimber
I have it without the locking mechanism it works fine for me I don’t think you really need it and you can use it with other headphones that have that connector

Apr 5, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #2,860 of 9,633

I promise the Black Dragon has the screw in connectors!

Apr 5, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #2,861 of 9,633
I promise the Black Dragon has the screw in connectors!

I know, apologize for doubting you LOL. This is the reply from Moon Audio "We use as the standard connection for the Sony MDZ1R the Oyaide Gold 3.5mm premium connectors which sound better and are higher quality than the screw type connection. This also allows the cable to also be used on other headphones like the Focal Elear/Elegia/Stellia all Hifiman headphones etc etc. We can do the Screw type connection but then it is a Sony only cable. This has to be requested. If you would like to swap, Please send your item to the address below with a note of the Change"

I just tried them and they seem to lock in place ok, I dont have a connection issues. I will keep them, but i just find it odd, that I would have to request the screw type connector, they should make it clear in their selection that it does not screw. the drop down menu only mentions Z1R and Z7.

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #2,862 of 9,633
I just got my Z1R's a month or so ago and I'm in love. 95% of my use is on the go. Today was 35 degrees Fahrenheit but tomorrow is supposed to be in the high 60's. Made me start thinking about the summer. Are these going to be unbearable to wear on those hot August days?

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #2,863 of 9,633
I just got my Z1R's a month or so ago and I'm in love. 95% of my use is on the go. Today was 35 degrees Fahrenheit but tomorrow is supposed to be in the high 60's. Made me start thinking about the summer. Are these going to be unbearable to wear on those hot August days?
Ha. You probably can tell by tomorrow lol. BTW are you in New England area ? Cause same kinda temperament here ....

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #2,864 of 9,633
I know, apologize for doubting you LOL. This is the reply from Moon Audio "We use as the standard connection for the Sony MDZ1R the Oyaide Gold 3.5mm premium connectors which sound better and are higher quality than the screw type connection. This also allows the cable to also be used on other headphones like the Focal Elear/Elegia/Stellia all Hifiman headphones etc etc. We can do the Screw type connection but then it is a Sony only cable. This has to be requested. If you would like to swap, Please send your item to the address below with a note of the Change"

I just tried them and they seem to lock in place ok, I dont have a connection issues. I will keep them, but i just find it odd, that I would have to request the screw type connector, they should make it clear in their selection that it does not screw. the drop down menu only mentions Z1R and Z7.

Hi there Not all Hifiman headphones .. My Edition-X are 2.5mm connects, to the headphone .. I agree, they should make it clear, as to exactly what you get :)

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #2,865 of 9,633
20190406_0153227jk8c.jpg

Been super busy with work lately, so the only real time I've gotten with this amp was on my lunches. It seems to be a very clean DAC, and the balanced output of the amp is quite powerful. The single-ended output is a little anemic, especially in terms of volume, but it powers most of my headphones fairly well. The K612s are maybe a little much for the single-ended output.

Also, you'd never know I bought this used. It's absolutely pristine. It's like the owner bought it, listened for 10 minutes, then decided they didn't want it.
20190405_0113470yk55.jpg

Not a scratch, scuff, or blemish of any sort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back