Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Mar 29, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #2,836 of 9,646
I currently own the Z1R and have been comparing it to the Eikon which I also own. The Z1R has deeper and more impactful bass but has a peak around 3.2 kHz and 9.5 kHz which may be viewed as a sibilance in certain recordings. Overall it sounds more fun to me and the peaks don't really bother me. It is lighter weight than the Eikon too. The Eikon looks better to me and I like the feel of it a little better. It also has smoother frequency response. I'm currently trying to decide which to sell. Transparency is about the same on both, which is the best I've heard in closed-backs other than the HD820.
How ... can you tell there’s a peak at the number...... did you have your calculator with you while you listening to music? For me I will just sit back and enjoy the music. But there’s something there bothers me, I kinda feel like my can is loose physically.... I can hear some kinda of vibrations noise , (like your phone vibrate on the desk kinda noise )specially for the female vocal.

Mar 29, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #2,837 of 9,646
How ... can you tell there’s a peak at the number...... did you have your calculator with you while you listening to music? For me I will just sit back and enjoy the music. But there’s something there bothers me, I kinda feel like my can is loose physically.... I can hear some kinda of vibrations noise , (like your phone vibrate on the desk kinda noise )specially for the female vocal.

I use sine wave sweeps to figure these things out.
This is a good tool:
https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Usually if you're hearing a vibration it is a hair touching the driver. You may want to see if there's any loose hairs in your headphones.

Mar 29, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #2,838 of 9,646
I use sine wave sweeps to figure these things out.
This is a good tool:
https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Usually if you're hearing a vibration it is a hair touching the driver. You may want to see if there's any loose hairs in your headphones.
I was thinking maybe is my glasses frame ... but I took off my glasse ... the noice still there ...

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #2,839 of 9,646
What headphone did you eventually settle for
I only sold the Z1R out of need and settled on the Pioneer SE Monitor 5 and recently I was very fortunate due to the generosity of a friend also able to add the Klipsch HP-3, another wonderful signature, both the Klipsch and Pioneer. Still miss the Z1R regardless.

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #2,840 of 9,646
I need a +/- 6ft (1.8 m) long 6.3 mm terminated cable and am leaning towards a Moon Audio Black Dragon. Does anyone know if the [edit] Moon Audio [/edit] Z1R connector actually screws on, or is it only a plug-in 3.5 mm connector? Other cables I considered were:
  1. Norne Audio Draug 3. Looks great but I’d prefer the lighter weight (I’m assuming) of a Black Dragon cable.
  2. Sony “Engineered with Kimber Kable” MUC-B12SM1 + 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm adapter. A little short and the 90 degree plug is inconvenient for my use.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #2,841 of 9,646
I need a +/- 6ft (1.8 m) long 6.3 mm terminated cable and am leaning towards a Moon Audio Black Dragon. Does anyone know if the Z1R connector actually screws on, or is it only a plug-in 3.5 mm connector? Other cables I considered were:
  1. Norne Audio Draug 3. Looks great but I’d prefer the lighter weight (I’m assuming) of a Black Dragon cable.
  2. Sony “Engineered with Kimber Kable” MUC-B12SM1 + 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm adapter. A little short and the 90 degree plug is inconvenient for my use.

It plugs in, but has an outer section that then screws on to keep it from pulling out.

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #2,842 of 9,646
I need a +/- 6ft (1.8 m) long 6.3 mm terminated cable and am leaning towards a Moon Audio Black Dragon. Does anyone know if the [edit] Moon Audio [/edit] Z1R connector actually screws on, or is it only a plug-in 3.5 mm connector? Other cables I considered were:
I have the black dragon on my Z1Rs and it sounds very good with it, but it just plugs in. I also have the Norne Audio silvergrade ver. 3 but that’s on my HEK Ver. 2, the Norne cable is more flexible & lighter then the black dragon.

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #2,843 of 9,646
It plugs in, but has an outer section that then screws on to keep it from pulling out.

I have the black dragon on my Z1Rs and it sounds very good with it, but it just plugs in. I also have the Norne Audio silvergrade ver. 3 but that’s on my HEK Ver. 2, the Norne cable is more flexible & lighter then the black dragon.

Thanks!

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #2,844 of 9,646

I have the Moon Audio Black Dragon and it does indeed plug in and then screw in.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #2,846 of 9,646
I have the Moon Audio Black Dragon and it does indeed plug in and then screw in.
When did you buy your cable? Could it be they've updated their connector? I called Moon-Audio earlier and the lady who answered the phone said the connectors are for the Z1R but she couldn't confirm for sure if they screwed on.

I have a Kimber axios Cu cable but it’s the 6.3 mm connector ..... never do an A/B test. But I didn’t feel like it’s Brighter (comepare to the same valuem)
Nice looking cable! ...but $830 :astonished: for a 2 m copper cable is a lot. It does look very, very nice though...

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #2,847 of 9,646
When did you buy your cable? Could it be they've updated their connector? I called Moon-Audio earlier and the lady who answered the phone said the connectors are for the Z1R but she couldn't confirm for sure if they screwed on.

Nice looking cable! ...but $830 :astonished: for a 2 m copper cable is a lot. It does look very, very nice though...
I’m got it used ... for 400 with shipping and PayPal .....

Mar 30, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #2,850 of 9,646
It's so wild how differently we all hear things. I absolutely love these headphones. I got them as a closed back companion to my HE1000 v2 and they've been serving me well. While the HEKs no doubt beat the Z1Rs in soundstage and imaging, I honestly think the Sony Z1R competes very competently with them with regards to overall tone, resolution, instrument separation, and detailed treble without being too bright. When I don't want to bother my fiance and I reach for the Z1Rs I don't feel like I'm missing much in quality at all, it's just a slightly different experience. In fact they add deeper bass, sub bass and some extra energy which makes it feel kind of refreshing when i listen to them, especially with certain genres.

I'm not trying to be defensive here just because I own them, I just want to make sure the positive side is represented for anyone considering them. I auditioned a number of totl closed back contenders before choosing the Z1Rs including Mr. Speaker Ether Flow C, ZMF Eikon and Atticus and Fostex TH900. All of them had their merits and I can see how someone with different sound preferences could choose any of them over the Z1R, but they just didn't do it for me personally. One thing about the Z1R that beat the others handily was the ability to minimize sound leakage (leakage both in and out). This was VERY important to me as sound isolation was really the only reason I wanted a closed back headphone in the first place. If i didn't need sound isolation then I would have just stuck with the HEKs. As much as I enjoy the Z1R I just don't think closed backs can quite touch the overall sound quality of open backs. The fit and finish of the Z1R also really impresses me. It's good looking and insanely comfortable, even competing with the HE1000 for that crown IMO. I did find all of the contenders to be aesthetically pleasing headphones with the exception of the Ether C Flow which didn't feel unique enough for me.

I came close to buying the TH900, but the sound leakage took it out of consideration and it did sound a little bright to my ear. I also came close to buying the Eikon, but I just didn't enjoy the sound as much as the Z1R, they also leaked a bit more and while not uncomfortable, they didn't come close to the Z1Rs comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back