Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Feb 6, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #2,566 of 9,746
Ordered this Fiio adaptor from 4.4mm to 3.5mm so I can use the short stock cable. I have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm one and it feels verey well built. Can't get myself to spend one third of the cans price for a cable tbh.

AU $26.59 6%OFF | Fiio LL-4.4M (LL 4.4M) 4.4mm Female to 3.5mm Male Balanced Adapter
FiiO-LL-4-4M-3-5mm-to-4-4mm-Balanced-Audio-Adapter-cable.jpg_640x640.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #2,567 of 9,746
Ordered this Fiio adaptor from 4.4mm to 3.5mm so I can use the short stock cable. I have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm one and it feels verey well built. Can't get myself to spend one third of the cans price for a cable tbh.

AU $26.59 6%OFF | Fiio LL-4.4M (LL 4.4M) 4.4mm Female to 3.5mm Male Balanced Adapter
FiiO-LL-4-4M-3-5mm-to-4-4mm-Balanced-Audio-Adapter-cable.jpg_640x640.jpg

That should work fine but it is a single ended adaptor to use a balanced headphone from a single ended source

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #2,568 of 9,746
can anyone compare pm1 to sony? thinking of selling my pm1 to fund a sony but not sure. thanks mk

Feb 7, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #2,570 of 9,746
Greetings to all!!!

@djj65 : Sorry for delay, in my opinion the Wire World Nano-Platinum Eclipse is a big step forwrd in detail, presence and timming, but I have the Forza Noir Hibryd HPC now and the Music breath in my mind!!! It is amazing and very "comfortable".

@raybies : Can you tell my a good "300B headphone amplifier" for Z1R and LCD-4? Please. Thanks.

Cheers, have a good day!
C.K.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #2,571 of 9,746
Lachlan briefly came back because of his undying love for Sony

It's about the Z7M2, but its fully packed with direct comparison to the Z1R. a good watch for people considering between the two :smile_phones:

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #2,572 of 9,746
@raybies : Can you tell my a good "300B headphone amplifier" for Z1R and LCD-4?

I would now buy a WA5-LE (2nd gen)
https://wooaudio.com/amplifiers/wa5le

My current one is a premium caps/tubes modified YAQIN-MS-300C the circuit would be very similar to the Woo except it also uses a 274B Tube Rectifier (B-2 schematic), it's easy to set headphone impedance (D-3), BUT in saying that it is also currently broken, a relay isn't closing for the preheat and I need to disassemble the main board which requires de-soldering every wire, which is major PiTA to figure out why.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YAQIN-M...Integrated-Amplifier-110-240v-AU/253789839832

The issue is A - 1/2... headphone
300C.jpg

I need to remove the whole board as the issue's on the other side and after spending SO much time originally modding I can't be bothered.
20180729_142716.jpg

Stock tubes... I can't tell the difference between stock and premium expect for the heating up crackles and cooling down pings.
DSC00516.jpg

But I also can't tell the difference between stock and my OverKill shielded 6N OCC / 6N OCCS (cryo Copper and Silver) cable... while others can tell the differences.
20190209_152923.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #2,573 of 9,746

It's about the Z7M2, but its fully packed with direct comparison to the Z1R. a good watch for people considering between the two :smile_phones:

thoughtful and articulate reviewer. i could relate to his impressions of the z1r overall, tho i don't recall the treble sounding noticeably grainy to my ears.

Feb 10, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #2,574 of 9,746
Greetings to all!!!

@djj65 : Sorry for delay, in my opinion the Wire World Nano-Platinum Eclipse is a big step forwrd in detail, presence and timming, but I have the Forza Noir Hibryd HPC now and the Music breath in my mind!!! It is amazing and very "comfortable".

@raybies : Can you tell my a good "300B headphone amplifier" for Z1R and LCD-4? Please. Thanks.

Cheers, have a good day!
C.K.
I would say the Woo WA5 or WA5LE current version or the Caryin or a customer order from Glen but that one will take some time to get it. I used to own the WA5LE v1 and the Glen. Also have listened couple of times the Caryin. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 11, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #2,577 of 9,746

He has such a great way of comprehending the Sony sound and putting it into words. Someone needs to get him the MUC-B20SB1 cable as it may dial it all in for him, including his perception of the Z1R. Maybe?:)

I also can’t help but wonder if his perception of the lower midrange would change if his amplifier was changed to an amplifier with more damping factor?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #2,578 of 9,746
Can anyone compare with pm1? considering selling my pm1 to fund z1r. thanks mk.

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #2,579 of 9,746
Can anyone compare with pm1? considering selling my pm1 to fund z1r. thanks mk.
The Z1R’s has bigger bass, the PM1’s has a more lush midrange and the treble is slightly rolled off. The Z1R’s has a more balanced midrange and slightly elevated treble with the stock cable. Add the Sony/Kimber cable and the bass is tighter, the midrange comes alive and the treble is tamed. It’s a much more musical headphone with a very good soundstage for closed headphone with the Sony/Kimber cable.

The PM1’s are still very good and are more of a complementary headphone because it’s still more open sounding. The PM1’s has that planar bass that can be made to thump with a little EQ. Since it’s no longer made the PM1’s could be considered a collectible item. I owned the PM1’s. I now have the PM2’s and the Z1R’s and I like them both. They are both easy to drive and sound good out of anything because of their tuning. The Z1R’s work well with any genre of music. I think that’s the beauty of this headphone. You can put on anything and just sit back and enjoy the music with the Z1R’s.

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #2,580 of 9,746
The Z1R’s has bigger bass, the PM1’s has a more lush midrange and the treble is slightly rolled off. The Z1R’s has a more balanced midrange and slightly elevated treble with the stock cable. Add the Sony/Kimber cable and the bass is tighter, the midrange comes alive and the treble is tamed. It’s a much more musical headphone with a very good soundstage for closed headphone with the Sony/Kimber cable.

The PM1’s are still very good and are more of a complementary headphone because it’s still more open sounding. The PM1’s has that planar bass that can be made to thump with a little EQ. Since it’s no longer made the PM1’s could be considered a collectible item. I owned the PM1’s. I now have the PM2’s and the Z1R’s and I like them both. They are both easy to drive and sound good out of anything because of their tuning. The Z1R’s work well with any genre of music. I think that’s the beauty of this headphone. You can put on anything and just sit back and enjoy the music with the Z1R’s.
I totally agree with your cable changing ideas.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back