Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Feb 3, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #2,551 of 9,643
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #2,554 of 9,643
I heard the MDR-Z1R paired up with the TA-ZH1ES at a dealer. I think these two are my next purchase. Has anyone used the Z1R with tube amplification? I currently have the Lyr2 with Bifrost Multibit. My plan is to purchase these headphones first and buy the TA-ZH1ES later (unless I can find a pre-owned version first)

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #2,555 of 9,643
I heard the MDR-Z1R paired up with the TA-ZH1ES at a dealer. I think these two are my next purchase. Has anyone used the Z1R with tube amplification? I currently have the Lyr2 with Bifrost Multibit. My plan is to purchase these headphones first and buy the TA-ZH1ES later (unless I can find a pre-owned version first)
I currently use the Z1R with both the Little Dot MKVI+ and the LaFigaro 339, sounds amazing on both of those units.

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,557 of 9,643
I had the Clear and sold it after getting the Z1R. It was too fatiguing. The Z1R is just a relaxing set of headphones, very clear, nice bass, just an overall perfect set of headphones.

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #2,559 of 9,643

I'm a tube sound fan, and the Z1R sound to me best w/ a 300B tube amp; the sound is warm, enveloping, and spacious w/ a kind of magical quality that's has the perfect delay, reverb and phase.
I've never listened to a TA-ZH1ES, while Sony offers exceptional build quality, I've never been a fan of Sony amp sound, it just sounds too digital and sterile to me. I find Sony and Yamaha usually have similar sound signature, but Marantz while made/designed in Japan is warmer and more dynamic.

Everything depends on your preferred sound signature; my Class A + 300B + Z1R is the nicest setup I've listened to, but it isn't as convenient as using the Sony Walkman.

If I were to make an optical comparison, I find Class A + tubes + Z1R like looking at an LCD screen with night mode on... everything is there, it's just nicer on the eyes.

I should also add that I've made a couple Nelson Pass Class A amps and they sound superb; https://www.passdiy.com/project/amplifiers/construct-a-class-a-amplifier

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #2,560 of 9,643
I'm a tube sound fan, and the Z1R sound to me best w/ a 300B tube amp; the sound is warm, enveloping, and spacious w/ a kind of magical quality that's has the perfect delay, reverb and phase.
I've never listened to a TA-ZH1ES, while Sony offers exceptional build quality, I've never been a fan of Sony amp sound, it just sounds too digital and sterile to me. I find Sony and Yamaha usually have similar sound signature, but Marantz while made/designed in Japan is warmer and more dynamic.

Everything depends on your preferred sound signature; my Class A + 300B + Z1R is the nicest setup I've listened to, but it isn't as convenient as using the Sony Walkman.

If I were to make an optical comparison, I find Class A + tubes + Z1R like looking at an LCD screen with night mode on... everything is there, it's just nicer on the eyes.

I should also add that I've made a couple Nelson Pass Class A amps and they sound superb; https://www.passdiy.com/project/amplifiers/construct-a-class-a-amplifier

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to invest in Woo W8, there are a couple of them in the Classifieds and I did listen to the combo but it was only for a few minutes (less than 5 min) It sounded great. I like the idea of it being portable.

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #2,561 of 9,643
Just ordered my Z1Rs here down under. Couldn't let this sale pass, A$1,600 was simply too good to miss when I see it being sold for the same figure in US$ by online retailers.

Will feed it with MojoPoly at the office for hopefully a blissful bass laden experience :) Can hardly wait!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #2,562 of 9,643
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to invest in Woo W8, there are a couple of them in the Classifieds and I did listen to the combo but it was only for a few minutes (less than 5 min) It sounded great. I like the idea of it being portable.

Curious to hear from those who have heard the Z1R/WA8
I have to admit that at last year's NY CanJam I listened to this setup (with Axios cable) and my brief impression was extremely impressive.
At the time I was listening to my Z1R/Axios through my 1Z and felt that the Woo sounded better (?). Didn't make sense to me. Could it have something to do with Tubes?

Feb 4, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #2,563 of 9,643
MRD-Z1R serial.jpg

Got my Z1Rs delivered today at the office. Love the sound, looks and comfort but why are the pads smelling so bad? :)
Mojo does a great job driving these. In fact, they're so easy to drive that even my S9+ sounds reasonably well. Will do an A/B with the Night Owls a bit later. They're not that different actually...

If you're still wondering what might be the best cans for the office, don't These are it. No question in my mind. I even took them out for a walk at lunch today and must have looked like an idiot when Phil Collins started hitting the drums hard like the Cadbury gorilla. Outstanding.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #2,564 of 9,643

Got my Z1Rs delivered today at the office. Love the sound, looks and comfort but why are the pads smelling so bad? :)
Mojo does a great job driving these. In fact, they're so easy to drive that even my S9+ sounds reasonably well. Will do an A/B with the Night Owls a bit later. They're not that different actually...

If you're still wondering what might be the best cans for the office, don't These are it. No question in my mind. I even took them out for a walk at lunch today and must have looked like an idiot when Phil Collins started hitting the drums hard like the Cadbury gorilla Outstanding.
if you like what you hear now, give them time to break in, they do get a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back