Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 2, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #2,506 of 9,633
Do sony sell spare pads as i can't find them anywhere in the uk just cheap imitation ones. i recently auditioned the z1r beautiful soundstage and incredibly comfortable. if i go for them i have to save hard the next few weeks. i am however disappointed at sony's decision so does anyone envisage an mdr z2r or is the z7m2 it as they said.

You could buy them from Amazon UK for £1,650. They offer a £330 x 5 month plan , no interest = £1,650.
1-3month wait.

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #2,507 of 9,633
you contacted sony uk and they answered your questions. we can only speculate here as to what sony may do next.

Big. Difference between Sony UK and Sony UK Dealers which are Franchise businesses.
Sony UK Head Office doesn’t know the first thing about the Z1r when I called them about buying a Kimber Cable.
Sony Support number takes you to Egypt Call Centre who know even less.

I doubt the Z1R is phased out and replaced anytime soon. Not before 2020 if I were guessing.

Jan 2, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2,510 of 9,633
There is only one version

As far as product goes i think you’re correct, but It appears a USA version is warrented in the USA, Japan in Japan. Anyone know more about this?

Jan 2, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #2,511 of 9,633
As far as product goes i think you’re correct, but It appears a USA version is warrented in the USA, Japan in Japan. Anyone know more about this?

In that case there is as many versions as there are countries where you can buy the phone. Mine will have to be serviced under warranty in UK if ever I need that as I bought them from UK.

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #2,512 of 9,633
There is only one version
They need to print different certifications on the headphone like the CE mark for Europe, each world region requires different certificates. The technical aspects should be the same globally.

Jan 2, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #2,513 of 9,633
You could buy them from Amazon UK for £1,650. They offer a £330 x 5 month plan , no interest = £1,650.
1-3month wait.

I bought mine recently from Richer sounds for £1650 but managed to get them in a week. Called up my local store who confirmed with their buyer that they could still get them. Meanwhile, amazon went from don’t know when it would be in stock back to 1-3 months

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #2,514 of 9,633
Big. Difference between Sony UK and Sony UK Dealers which are Franchise businesses.
Sony UK Head Office doesn’t know the first thing about the Z1r when I called them about buying a Kimber Cable.
Sony Support number takes you to Egypt Call Centre who know even less.

I doubt the Z1R is phased out and replaced anytime soon. Not before 2020 if I were guessing.
fwiw, i forgot to mention that i asked the sales guy at my local headphone store about the rumours of the z1r being discontinued and he was unaware of it

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #2,515 of 9,633
US distributer to Amazon may be sold out. Since everyone bought global versions. That is not even allowed. Not sure how Amazon did that. I bet they discontinue it. 5-10 years later new totally unrelated flagship. Look at their history. I highly doubt they upgrade these. Would be very unlike Sony. Speculating with them is fruitless.

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #2,516 of 9,633
They need to print different certifications on the headphone like the CE mark for Europe, each world region requires different certificates. The technical aspects should be the same globally.

Modern electronics just print multiple certifications on the same product, it is simply not cost effective to manage different stock with a merely different printed label.

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #2,517 of 9,633
Modern electronics just print multiple certifications on the same product, it is simply not cost effective to manage different stock with a merely different printed label.
Not totally true. The right side of my Z1R headband has a large CE mark which you can see fully extended, I bet the US version does not.
1546502791693803489971.jpg

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #2,518 of 9,633
Not totally true. The right side of my Z1R headband has a large CE mark which you can see fully extended, I bet the US version does not.

I totally bet it does - my Z1R is not with me at the moment but I'm willing to bet my Hong Kong purchased Z1R has a CE mark on it. Heck I can probably go to a store in Japan tomorrow and find that mark on the Z1R headband in the store.

I've previously worked on a project for a piece of electronic device, it has both CE and FCC (US) certificated printed on it because the device was planned to be sold in at least the US and Europe initially (and globally eventually), so the device was made to meet the standards of both regions from start, then print the certificate on it once, and the company manage the stock as one SKU and allocate stock to the different region as necessary to meet the local demand, rather than making a different version and kept as separate SKU in the warehouse. The reason for this obvious - you get easier to manage inventory (only 1 SKU to take stock) as well as flexibility to meet demand (stock can be instantly allocated to different region as they are exactly the same and suitable to be sold everywhere). I can't imagine a much simpler electronically passive device such as a headphone that doesn't even need something as complicated as RF certification would be so stupid to make two SKU simply for having a different certification printed on the headband.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #2,519 of 9,633
I don't usually pay much attention to measured FR either, but looked at it for the Z1R to try to understand why I'm hearing them the way I do. I don't put the M40X in the category of serious headphone hi-fi, but I find it to be pretty good sounding for the price, and generally better than the Z1R.

I wasn't actually looking for a particular signature, just a really good closed-back. My LCD-3, Clear, HD800S, 99 Classics, and LCD-i4 all have somewhat different signatures, but I like them all.

Looking at your headphones, have you tried the Focal Clear cables with the Sony MDRZ1R?

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #2,520 of 9,633
I just checked my US purchased Z1R and it has the CE mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back