Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 12, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #2,116 of 9,634
thats why i asked. I can always buy the TA amp.

And also buy the Kimber Axios to go with it.

Actually that so-called zingy treble is no longer an issue for me with the new Firmware 3.00 on the WM1A cuz it's pretty much not there anymore, but I need more listening time to confirm.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #2,117 of 9,634
thats why i asked. I can always buy the TA amp.

The TA takes it all to a slightly different level. Now I understand your question.Your wondering about using the TA with one of the two cables. Also TA DSD Remastering and DSEE HX really seem to do something?

There is slightly better separation and better imaging with the TA than using the Kimber Sony MUC-B20SB1 Pentaconn 4.4mm with the 1A/1Z. Maybe the TA has better damping factor too? The low end gets cleaned up significantly. Don't know about the Axois, but the Sony MUC-B20SB1 Kimber beats the included cables on mids, treble soundstage and Z1R bass detail.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #2,119 of 9,634
Neither WM1Z or WM1A will sound as good as the TAZH1ES. It is a different level altogether.

I only have the qdc Anole IEM v3 which sounds better from the 1Z. Everything else I own sounds better from the TA amp. I guess it's the 1Z's slight treble spike that offers added detail to the qdc? It's the only headphone or IEM I own where the TA is just slightly too smooth?

http://musicen.qdc.com/Product/36.html

qdc Anole V3 set on stock crossover.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #2,120 of 9,634
I only have the qdc Anole IEM v3 which sounds better from the 1Z. Everything else I own sounds better from the TA amp. I guess it's the 1Z's slight treble spike that offers added detail to the qdc? It's the only headphone or IEM I own where the TA is just slightly too smooth?

Absolutely. I have IEMs that pair better with the Walkman series. But for the Z1R in particular, the TAZH1ES is made for them.

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #2,121 of 9,634
Absolutely. I have IEMs that pair better with the Walkman series. But for the Z1R in particular, the TAZH1ES is made for them.

It really is made for them. So much so that I cringe at any Z1R review not using the TA with the Z1R. Sony somehow made them to be as a marriage.

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #2,122 of 9,634
It really is made for them. So much so that I cringe at any Z1R review not using the TA with the Z1R. Sony somehow made them to be as a marriage.

Yea reminds me of those Audio Technica flagship cans that have matching headphone amps sold only in Japan.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #2,123 of 9,634
The TA takes it all to a slightly different level. Now I understand your question.Your wondering about using the TA with one of the two cables. Also TA DSD Remastering and DSEE HX really seem to do something?

There is slightly better separation and better imaging with the TA than using the Kimber Sony MUC-B20SB1 Pentaconn 4.4mm with the 1A/1Z. Maybe the TA has better damping factor too? The low end gets cleaned up significantly. Don't know about the Axois, but the Sony MUC-B20SB1 Kimber beats the included cables on mids, treble soundstage and Z1R bass detail.

I had the TA and sold it. I felt the 1Z and a Kimber Axios (not Sony Kimber) was just as good with the Z1R. The TA I felt was a bit soft.

**Qualifying point - I also have the luxury of using my headphones with my two channel system and Linn streamer so the TA was really a play thing to have. That is why I felt that the 1Z/Axios was holding its own vs. the TA. By the way - same opinion with the Utopia/Axios - 1Z held its own vs. the TA.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2,124 of 9,634
I had the TA and sold it. I felt the 1Z and a Kimber Axios (not Sony Kimber) was just as good with the Z1R. The TA I felt was a bit soft.

**Qualifying point - I also have the luxury of using my headphones with my two channel system and Linn streamer so the TA was really a play thing to have. That is why I felt that the 1Z/Axios was holding its own vs. the TA. By the way - same opinion with the Utopia/Axios - 1Z held its own vs. the TA.

Great to hear. Never heard the 1Z/Axios combo with the Z1R? But you don’t get the DSD upscale?

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #2,125 of 9,634
I really thought all the TA options - DSD upscale etc. never did much for me. Same as with the options on the 1Z. There are some fellow enthusiasts on the Naim forum who have recently purchased the 1Z and we have an active thread going. I have said on that thread that when I am ready to chuck my TOTL Naim two channel system and simplify my life I would be very content with a 1Z/Axios/Utopia system. It is damn impressive

NOW - with 3.0 firmware and a "quick" listen I thought the vinyl options on the 1Z were interesting

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #2,126 of 9,634
I really thought all the TA options - DSD upscale etc. never did much for me. Same as with the options on the 1Z. There are some fellow enthusiasts on the Naim forum who have recently purchased the 1Z and we have an active thread going. I have said on that thread that when I am ready to chuck my TOTL Naim two channel system and simplify my life I would be very content with a 1Z/Axios/Utopia system. It is damn impressive

NOW - with 3.0 firmware and a "quick" listen I thought the vinyl options on the 1Z were interesting

The subjectivity of all the 1Z/1A “Sony buttons” has always been interesting. Though it must be that certain options on the Sony 1Z somehow are only most noticed by some? Most of the sound improvements offered on the 1Z never alter the sound to me..........But FW3.0 seems to tighten the bass and widen the soundstage across the board with all my headphones/IEMs. Though of course Sony has not copped-up to FW changes ever doing anything sonicly to the players? Surely this FW update stuff can’t be just placebo? How can everyone that notices change be crazy?

Also a couple folks besides myself feel FW3.0 does the 1Z/Z1R a service cleaning up the bass a little. Gone is some of that wild analog of FW2.0/FW1.2 the 1Z was known and famous for, IMO. Though I feel 3.0 is an improvement.

Though interestingly I ended rolling back the 1A to FW2.0 as the new update didn’t seem to gell with what I liked in the player. Now it seems the update has taken the 1Z to a special place? Added to the 1Z is an improvement in pacing and imagining never heard before, IMO? If it’s true that 3.0 is the final and last update, the 1A has been left in a slighly uneventful place in history?

But, I too could maybe (maybe?) be left with the 1Z/Z1R combo as a streamlined lifestyle. It’s cool to read the 1Z player is still infiltrating the audio masses after all these years.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #2,127 of 9,634
I've seen the grey market MDR-Z1R sold on Amazon for $1700 and was wondering if any US dealers sold them at a similar price. Obviously, dealers can't advertise them for below MAP, but maybe if you ask?

I've been tempted to buy the Z1R but sadly not for $2300 considering the many mixed reviews.

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #2,128 of 9,634
I've seen the grey market MDR-Z1R sold on Amazon for $1700 and was wondering if any US dealers sold them at a similar price. Obviously, dealers can't advertise them for below MAP, but maybe if you ask?

I've been tempted to buy the Z1R but sadly not for $2300 considering the many mixed reviews.
You should consider buying from another head-fier. That’s where you’re going to get you’re best deals. I’ve seen them as low as $1300 - $1400 in the forums.

Oct 14, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #2,129 of 9,634
Oct 14, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #2,130 of 9,634
Considering the R-10 was $5000 in today’s money the Z1R is a bargain. And 2X the bargain as they sound better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back