Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 8, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #1,801 of 9,633
I'm on day 2 now with my new Z1R / WM1A combo. I'm not ready to start spouting opinions, especially since what I've read here is the burn-in is quite lengthy.

Yes, give it time. I bought the Z1R and the TA-ZH1ES to go with my WM1A. First listen was disappointing and in fact I thought about returning them several times during the first two weeks. Things started to change for the better after that and at about one month I knew I could never give them up. Now the combo is the best I've ever heard from headphones. I haven't heard some of the super high end phones but have owned the T1, th900 and several totl Grados.

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #1,802 of 9,633
I'm on day 2 now with my new Z1R / WM1A combo. I'm not ready to start spouting opinions, especially since what I've read here is the burn-in is quite lengthy. But I can say this - while I can see your comment above could be true, at the same time I am finding the Z1R to be maybe the first headphone I've ever owned that I can set the music at a moderate, even tame volume, and it's all good. I'm not feeling the usual creeping compulsion over lengthy sessions to crank a notch, crank a notch. All the sound is there. Very satisfying
Yes it depends on people's different taste and tolerance via the audible spectrum, like you are more sensitive to another frequency and it has enough loudness to make you satisfied while some others may neglect it. This always make me think there's nothing objectively neutral enough; this whole thing is just personal, and subjective.

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #1,803 of 9,633
Hiya,

I'll add my experiences for what its worth.

I'm a long time owner of the Z1R, got it when I was on a trip to Japan at a Sony store.

I currently own and have owned a bunch of cans: LCD 2, 3, 4, XC, Elear, Elex, ZMF Eikon, Fostex TH series 900, and Massdrop variants, Grado, Senn, etc.

I've got to say the Z1R has so many haters, I've read so many bad reviews, and yet they are my favorite pair of headphones.

I've also had all sorts of amplifiers from 200$ to 5k+.

I currently am using the Z1R off Yggy gen 5 and a upgraded Wa22 Gen 2. The comfort and sound for gaming, music (compressed or not), is my fav.

If you're reading this thread and wondering if you should get a pair, do it.

If I had to sell all my headphones, this is the one I would keep!

I've had mine since they pretty much launched, which is over a year now. In that time I've used Lord knows how many headphones, and also used to own or still own the T1, T1.2, HD800, HD800S, LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-XC and more, the MDR-Z1R are still easily my favourite headphones of the bunch, or of any that I've ever listened to.

They offer a sumptuous sonic balance, pretty much the balance I'd been looking for, for decades. To summarise how they sound, they're essentially surprisingly wide soundstaged, articulate, layered and detailed sounding, but still slightly warm, bassy and full sounding at the same time.

If other popular headphones (HD800S, T1 etc) give you that ever so slightly colder crystaline studio like recording type sound, the Z1R's instead feel like they're presenting an atmospheric but life-like live performance like presentation instead. Ultimately they're extremely fun but somehow still mostly tonally and texturally honest (more so than my other cans I'd argue). And they somehow pull this off whilst being closed cans, having minimal noise bleed and also being easy to drive. An unbelievable feat of engineering.

Unlike many bass emphasised headphones, they're not too narrow and congested sounding, and unlike other V-shaped headphones, they're not too sibilant, thin or shrill sounding, and then unlike many analytical headphones that have really wide soundstages and imaging, they're not light on bass, body or emotion. They just strike that beautiful, atmospheric, sumptuous balance, which for my tastes and genres at least, is the closest to ideal I have yet found or experienced.

Also, unlike every other headphone I've listened to, I've never been tempted to EQ these in any way. Not even in the slightest.

Are they perfect? No. No headphone is perfect for all music or all tracks, but damn do they come close. Even where they're not an ideal match for certain tracks (which does happen on occasion), they still do an admirable to excellent job, but on tracks that they're fit for, simply put they mesmerise.

These are the headphones that got me selling off all my others, and I've never had that feeling with any other headphone in the past, since they all covered different bases, but the MDR-Z1R are such a great all-rounder that I just don't feel I need to keep so many cans any more. Even at they're worst track pairing (that I've thus far come across), they're still decent to good.

Regarding some of the bad impressions, I honestly have no idea. Maybe certain copies are worse than others, perhaps it depends at what sort of volumes you're listening to them at, or maybe they are sensitive to people's ear canal or headshapes or something, I genuinely don't know, but I have barely any of the peakyness, sibilsnce etc that some have complained of. Mine are the polar opposite of being overtly treble boosted. Yes, they may sound detailed, but they're also still mostly liquid, warm, unfatiguing and generally completely inoffensive. I can and do listen to them for hours upon hours on end without any fatigue, in gaming, movies and music listening.

Anyway, more than a year of ownership now, kudos to Sony. I should have known the ones who produced the legendary MDR-R10, would be the ones to stun me all these decades later.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #1,807 of 9,633
I am having the Sony MUC-B20SB1 Kimber Cable with the Z1R. What is the difference between the Kimber Axios Copper cable?

Jul 12, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,808 of 9,633
I am having the Sony MUC-B20SB1 Kimber Cable with the Z1R. What is the difference between the Kimber Axios Copper cable?

Presumeably better wire and twice as much (16 braid)

Jul 12, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #1,809 of 9,633

I have had both. The Sony/kimber went back
Differences - SIGNIFICANTLY better build quality and quality of all materials used in the Axios
Better sound with the Axios

The Sony/Kimber collaboration is better than the stock
The Axios is better than the Sony/Kimber

You need to decide which price point you want to pay

Jul 12, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,810 of 9,633

500-600 dollars, for starters.

I might upgrade to the Sony/Kimber cable once I've absorbed the financial hit I just took buying the WM1A & Z1R. But nice as the Axios is, I can't see myself every putting $800 or more into a headphone cable.

TBH right now I'd just be happy if Sony made the stock cable available at a non-gouge price, just for the sake of a backup.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #1,811 of 9,633
Jul 13, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #1,812 of 9,633
I'm "breaking in" my Sony/Kimber cable and it's starting to sound really good. I feel comfortable in saying that I prefer it over the stock cable. I'm curious as what the Axios cable does better now. The Sony/Kimber improves on just about everything over the stock cable. Is the Axios cable that big of a jump over the Sony/Kimble cable?

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #1,813 of 9,633
I'm "breaking in" my Sony/Kimber cable and it's starting to sound really good. I feel comfortable in saying that I prefer it over the stock cable. I'm curious as what the Axios cable does better now. The Sony/Kimber improves on just about everything over the stock cable. Is the Axios cable that big of a jump over the Sony/Kimble cable?

If you do a search there are numerous reports you can read on this thread.

Kimber also has a 30 day money back policy. You can try an Axios, live with it for a month, and send it back if you do not like it.

I run an Axios with both my Utopia's and Z1R's - I am very happy :)
Everyone hears things differently though.

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #1,814 of 9,633
If you do a search there are numerous reports you can read on this thread.

Kimber also has a 30 day money back policy. You can try an Axios, live with it for a month, and send it back if you do not like it.

I run an Axios with both my Utopia's and Z1R's - I am very happy :)
Everyone hears things differently though.
I'm probably more interested in hearing the Axios with my Utopia's than the Z1R's. The Sony/Kimber cable is a real nice upgrade from the stock cable. Plus for the price I paid for it makes it even a better buy.

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,815 of 9,633
I'm probably more interested in hearing the Axios with my Utopia's than the Z1R's. The Sony/Kimber cable is a real nice upgrade from the stock cable. Plus for the price I paid for it makes it even a better buy.

It is quite impressive - however I would recommend if possible to get the balanced version

Users who are viewing this thread

Back