Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 8, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,126 of 9,638
The Z1R has been out since 2014? So how does that factor in. Always new headphones.

I am using the Kimber Axios Ag. It does have adapters the way I ordered it but I am using it single ended. My best amp for them is Se. It is not such a big deal that I need to run balanced. I think a cable of any sort may make a max less than10% improvement. Or.... detraction.

The Z7 is outstanding. I feel that the Z1R is among the best there is. Could be my setup with it I couldn't say. It is certainly a similar product to the R10 or 010. Someone said that before I had them burned in and I doubted. Lo and Behold.

They are a flagship headphone. If you want to compare to the HD800-820 or whatever compare them to the HE1. Yes, I will go that far.

No controversy, just my opinion. I happen to think they are fantastic and was very surprised thinking I would return them. If someone likes, or dislikes them that is their opinion and they are entitled to such as well.

Z1R has been out since late 2016 as I remember it

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #1,127 of 9,638
No doubt the power of suggestion will lead some to claim the new Sennheisers have a glassy upper-mid colouration...

I'm only just getting into my Z1R after not having much chance to listen in the last month. I'm less than 30 hours in but I've got no doubts about them though, and can't see me throwing them in for a different and newer contender. My next purchase will likely be the ZH1ES dac/amp which I tried briefly recently...or upgrading my WM1A to the WM1Z. I'm very impressed with all the Sony Signature Series pieces.
I do believe the HD820 will contain some glassy sound because it is 'the most transparent closed-back', which means extra clear to many people. Sennheiser always make impressive tunings that's the way they become successful.

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #1,128 of 9,638
Sennheiser always make impressive tunings that's the way they become successful.
I believed this too until I bought their TOTL HP, now I think it's marketing and promotion like Bose.

SennheiserCube-Campaign-2014_460.jpg

Sennheiser_support_exhibition.jpg

eb-expo-Sennheiser-Booth-Babes-1024x617.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #1,129 of 9,638
I believed this too until I bought their TOTL HP, now I think it's marketing and promotion like Bose.

SennheiserCube-Campaign-2014_460.jpg

Sennheiser_support_exhibition.jpg

eb-expo-Sennheiser-Booth-Babes-1024x617.jpg
'Impressive' tuning is actually much of a commercial thing:). Let alone the company delays the formal release of the HD820 way forward to summer so that they have plenty of time for the audiophile's opinions.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #1,130 of 9,638
Maybe since I’ve never listened to a variety of Headphones I’m happy to be a Sony patron. Very happy with MDR EX1000, and Z7’s. “Saving for the Z1R”!
But in the bigger scheme of things, maybe it’s better to have so much competition.
For the price of the new Senns I’d be inclined to stay with my Sony fascination. Gotta say, though, that Sennheiser may be onto something with their new cans.
It’s probably better for everybody that this mountain is constantly being climbed to new peaks.
Hurray for innovation.
But, here, hurray for Sony!

Jan 9, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,131 of 9,638
The Z1R has been out since 2014? So how does that factor in. Always new headphones.

I am using the Kimber Axios Ag. It does have adapters the way I ordered it but I am using it single ended. My best amp for them is Se. It is not such a big deal that I need to run balanced. I think a cable of any sort may make a max less than10% improvement. Or.... detraction.

The Z7 is outstanding. I feel that the Z1R is among the best there is. Could be my setup with it I couldn't say. It is certainly a similar product to the R10 or 010. Someone said that before I had them burned in and I doubted. Lo and Behold.

They are a flagship headphone. If you want to compare to the HD800-820 or whatever compare them to the HE1. Yes, I will go that far.

No controversy, just my opinion. I happen to think they are fantastic and was very surprised thinking I would return them. If someone likes, or dislikes them that is their opinion and they are entitled to such as well.

You mean Z7. The Z1R was released in late 2016 / early 2017.

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #1,132 of 9,638
No doubt the power of suggestion will lead some to claim the new Sennheisers have a glassy upper-mid colouration...

I'm only just getting into my Z1R after not having much chance to listen in the last month. I'm less than 30 hours in but I've got no doubts about them though, and can't see me throwing them in for a different and newer contender. My next purchase will likely be the ZH1ES dac/amp which I tried briefly recently...or upgrading my WM1A to the WM1Z. I'm very impressed with all the Sony Signature Series pieces.
Its taking all my willpower to resist the TAZH1ES. I caved in and bought a WM1A previously, and it gels so well with the Z1R. But the TAZH1ES is a big threat looking to replace my entire setup. I still haven't tried it out at the store and am afraid to. I'm afraid my wallet will need CPR after that...

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #1,134 of 9,638
Its taking all my willpower to resist the TAZH1ES. I caved in and bought a WM1A previously, and it gels so well with the Z1R. But the TAZH1ES is a big threat looking to replace my entire setup. I still haven't tried it out at the store and am afraid to. I'm afraid my wallet will need CPR after that...
Are you sure? Imagine HD800S on the XLR, ADX5000 on the 6.3 mm, Z1R on the 4.4mm, your iem can be on 3.5mm and expanded to another amp via the preout. And you can keep everything connected at the same time.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #1,135 of 9,638
Are you sure? Imagine HD800S on the XLR, ADX5000 on the 6.3 mm, Z1R on the 4.4mm, your iem can be on 3.5mm and expanded to another amp via the preout. And you can keep everything connected at the same time.
Please don't add to the stress... my wallet can't take it... Hahaha... but my 800S is on the 6.3, with Norne cables. and the TAZH1ES doesn't have XLR right?
(oh crap it does!)
Hey wait... does that mean I can run in several headphones at the same time on the TAZH1ES? Lol.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #1,136 of 9,638
Please don't add to the stress... my wallet can't take it... Hahaha... but my 800S is on the 6.3, with Norne cables. and the TAZH1ES doesn't have XLR right?
(oh crap it does!)
Hey wait... does that mean I can run in several headphones at the same time on the TAZH1ES? Lol.
It does have XLR4, here is the full spec:
Balanced:
Balanced standard (4.4 mm in diameter)
3-pole mini (balanced connection, 3.5 mm in diameter)
XLR4 (balanced 4-pin)
Unbalanced:
Standard (6.3 mm in diameter)
Stereo mini (3.5 mm in diameter)

You can have all of them connected, and switch anytime necessary. plus it comes with a remote control.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,137 of 9,638
Hmm, just got my pair. Right out of the box with no run in with an inexpensive Chinese JFET head amp and a listening session, some of the most REFINED dynamic headphone listening I have ever heard. This thing is cool, the detractors must be mad. Haven't even hooked it up the the Manley Neo 300b yet.

As much as I like the Z7, this is definitely much more.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,138 of 9,638
Hmm, just got my pair. Right out of the box with an inexpensive Chinese JFET head amp and a listening session, some of the most REFINED dynamic headphone listening I have ever heard. This thing is cool, the detractors must be mad. Haven't even hooked it up the the Manley Neo 300b yet.

As much as I like the R7, this is definitely much more.
Z1R is unique sounding, nothing in the market is similar to it, except for Z7 of course. it is either you love or hate it.

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #1,139 of 9,638
seeing their trend in the recent years (2 years cycle), i think Sony might release a new high end this year. they have positioned Z1R as their signature series, so i really doubt they will launch some high end closed back this year. it has been a while since they release a good open back headphone, and i think this year might be the year.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,140 of 9,638
Maybe since I’ve never listened to a variety of Headphones I’m happy to be a Sony patron. Very happy with MDR EX1000, and Z7’s. “Saving for the Z1R”!
But in the bigger scheme of things, maybe it’s better to have so much competition.
For the price of the new Senns I’d be inclined to stay with my Sony fascination. Gotta say, though, that Sennheiser may be onto something with their new cans.
It’s probably better for everybody that this mountain is constantly being climbed to new peaks.
Hurray for innovation.
But, here, hurray for Sony!
I am already dreaming of a TOTL closed back shoot out. Calling @MacedonianHero. Bring all the big guns. It would make for a really cool read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back