Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 21, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #752 of 9,638
Let’s keep in mind that Tyll got the Z1R’s he tested from those “special” people from the other forums. I wouldn’t trust a rock from them, it’s legitamately disturbing reading some of the posts there. The fact that he found them “piercing” should be a pretty big clue that something is off because these headphones are anything but piercing.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #753 of 9,638
He doesn't seem to recognize that so called neutrality is as subjective a quality as any other. He is obsessed with that goddam measuring stuff. He needs to take a vacation and chill from his delusion that he can measure everything and then hear it.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #754 of 9,638
Let’s keep in mind that Tyll got the Z1R’s he tested from those “special” people from the other forums. I wouldn’t trust a rock from them, it’s legitimately disturbing reading some of the posts there. The fact that he found them “piercing” should be a pretty big clue that something is off because these headphones are anything but piercing.
Lest anyone get the wrong impression, I have the utmost respect and admiration for Tyll Hertsens. He was the one who got the headphone ball rolling back in 1994, letting the world know about the SR60 and HD580. It's just my feeling that relying on anyone else's tastes, opinions and measurements in order to find something that you think will suit yours is not good policy. Trust your ears.

Having said that, I'm not really fond of the tendency that's been in place for quite a while, where a new product at a show is described (in the presence of the company rep) as sounding "really nice" or "pretty darned good" but inevitably ends up getting a lukewarm or negative review. You can see it coming from miles away. I think a thorough audition should be completed before ascribing anything positive or negative to a new product.

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #755 of 9,638
The amplifier has a special balanced out
Behind the amp
In male ports OUT FOR IT

https://spl.info/en/products/headphone-amplifier/phonitor-2/overview.html

Need a cable like they made for me 2X 3 pin female
The amplifier is balanced from the input to the exit
Except for the circles MATRIX
FOR BAL OUT AMP- THE LAST ONE 2013>>>>>>
These OPs work with high-performance semiconductors in Class A technology at a symmetrical voltage of +/-60V.

OPX-History.gif

See HER

https://spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/produkte-w/Phonitor 2 / Phonitor_2_BA_EN.pdf

PEG 20

2015-06-18_SPL-Phonitor-2_005-1024x683.jpg

OPEN THE PIC YOU WELL SEE
Sorry I've missed it, so currently you are driving the Z1R on a balanced state through the rear outs?

Oct 21, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #756 of 9,638
Let’s keep in mind that Tyll got the Z1R’s he tested from those “special” people from the other forums. I wouldn’t trust a rock from them, it’s legitamately disturbing reading some of the posts there. The fact that he found them “piercing” should be a pretty big clue that something is off because these headphones are anything but piercing.

how do you know that? he makes no mention of where he obtained the z1r from in his review. and if he did receive a loaner from those "special people" to whom you refer, do you seriously believe that they would have tampered with it in order to skew his impression of it? it's been hard enough for me to understand why some z1r owners have taken tyll's critical review so personally and attacked him for it, but resorting to conspiracy theories is incomprehensible.

Lest anyone get the wrong impression, I have the utmost respect and admiration for Tyll Hertsens. He was the one who got the headphone ball rolling back in 1994, letting the world know about the SR60 and HD580. It's just my feeling that relying on anyone else's tastes, opinions and measurements in order to find something that you think will suit yours is not good policy. Trust your ears.

Having said that, I'm not really fond of the tendency that's been in place for quite a while, where a new product at a show is described (in the presence of the company rep) as sounding "really nice" or "pretty darned good" but inevitably ends up getting a lukewarm or negative review. You can see it coming from miles away. I think a thorough audition should be completed before ascribing anything positive or negative to a new product.

you certainly take a counter-intuitive approach to showing your "utmost respect and admiration" for the guy. :wink: of course we have to ultimately trust our ears in this hobby, but there is nothing wrong with using the opinion of a reviewer you trust as a point of reference, particularly if you are not in a position to try before you buy.

with regard to tyll's show reports (if that's what you're referring to), well they're just that. they're introducing his audience to "new and exciting" products that he hopes to review further down the track. his initial impressions at these events should be taken with a grain of salt, just like anyone else's.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #757 of 9,638
Works for me.

Back to the listening impressions. I think a good word to describe the character of the Z1R is "gestalt". The Absolute Sound often used this word often when reviewing components....how the final "whole" of the component's sound overruled the sum of it's parts in relation to the sound of live music. That is, not breaking down into bass, treble mid etc.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #758 of 9,638
Sorry I've missed it, so currently you are driving the Z1R on a balanced state through the rear outs?
YES
FULL BALANCED FROM THE REAR OUTS

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #759 of 9,638
Works for me.

Back to the listening impressions. I think a good word to describe the character of the Z1R is "gestalt". The Absolute Sound often used this word often when reviewing components....how the final "whole" of the component's sound overruled the sum of it's parts in relation to the sound of live music. That is, not breaking down into bass, treble mid etc.
Gestalt is a German word. It has many meanings. Here it could mean shape of sound. Is that what you mean?

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #760 of 9,638
How big an upgrade in terms of sound quality can I expect from Sony MDR-Z7 to the MDR-Z1R? I also have the Z7 and am thinking about upgrading to a Z1R (I will be running both out of a 4.4 balanced Sony amp - TA-ZH1ES). Alternatively, I can get the Fostex TH900 Mk 2 (or even save up for a pair of utopia in the future). Can owners of both Z1R and Z7 help me with the decision?

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #761 of 9,638
Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #762 of 9,638
how do you know that? he makes no mention of where he obtained the z1r from in his review. and if he did receive a loaner from those "special people" to whom you refer, do you seriously believe that they would have tampered with it in order to skew his impression of it? it's been hard enough for me to understand why some z1r owners have taken tyll's critical review so personally and attacked him for it, but resorting to conspiracy theories is incomprehensible.

I can't find anything on it now but I'm pretty sure I saw it referenced somewhere that's where he received his pair, maybe it's since been edited out. It's pretty clear that many people on that forum have an agenda and I wouldn't put anything past mentally unstable people.

But the reason people take issue with Tyll's review is that what he describes is completely out of line with what the Z1R actually provides. It would be like if he was reviewing the HD800 and claimed it had too much bass, no treble, and a small soundstage. No one that's actually heard those headphones would take that seriously and that's exactly what happened here. That's fine if he wants to make outlandish statements about them, but no one should be butthurt either that his credibility or the actual Z1R's he used is being questioned in the process. Not to mention he doesn't even state what he uses to drive them, which matters a lot with these headphones.

HER IS MY NEW CABLE UPOCC FOR MY SONY MDR-Z1R BY ARCTIC CABLE TO SPL PHONITOR -2 AMP. BAL.

How microphonic is that Arctic Cable compared to the Kimber? It looks nice, I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #763 of 9,638
I can't find anything on it now but I'm pretty sure I saw it referenced somewhere that's where he received his pair, maybe it's since been edited out. It's pretty clear that many people on that forum have an agenda and I wouldn't put anything past mentally unstable people.

But the reason people take issue with Tyll's review is that what he describes is completely out of line with what the Z1R actually provides. It would be like if he was reviewing the HD800 and claimed it had too much bass, no treble, and a small soundstage. No one that's actually heard those headphones would take that seriously and that's exactly what happened here. That's fine if he wants to make outlandish statements about them, but no one should be butthurt either that his credibility or the actual Z1R's he used is being questioned in the process. Not to mention he doesn't even state what he uses to drive them, which matters a lot with these headphones.

maybe you did see it somewhere and i'm not sure which forum you're referring to, but i can guess. but look at what your're saying about it - it's just so extreme.

so you're effectively saying that tyll heard the z1r wrong because it "actually" sounds different. you do realise that you're talking about subjective headphone listening impressions (i'll leave the objective measurements out of this), which can vary depending on who you ask. maybe you and tyll hear the z1r differently. and your hd800 example is a poor one because it is the opposite of how he described it.

i've auditioned the z1r a couple of times and liked it. that said, i didn't find tyll's description of its sound signature to be at odds with my own impression of it, which is partly why i disagree with your take on this. and i'm going to invert your proposition because i think that it's the z1r owners who shouldn't be "butthurt" over a critical review from tyll (or any other reviewer for that matter). just because you disagree with his opinion, that doesn't give you (or anyone else for that matter) the right to attack his credibility as a reviewer. and i still think that your suspicion of the z1r that he used for his review is stretching the bounds of credulity.

now before folks start piling on the outrage over my defence of tyll's review, :wink: i wish to add that my reason for doing this is not out of misplaced loyalty to him. my headphone preferences don't always align with his. tyll didn't like the fostex th900 for example, which i like and own. he found it too bright for his taste. i didn't take it as a personal affront to my taste in headphones, it didn't cause me to enjoy the th900 any less and i didn't feel compelled to take him down for it. i happen to like it, he doesn't, and that's ok. with regard to tyll's review of the z1r, while i can relate to his criticisms of its sound signature to some extent, they wouldn't be a deal breaker for me having auditioned it. i obviously like it more than tyll does, and that's ok too.

i really don't want to derail this thread any further from its purpose, which is listening impressions only. so let's take this to pms if you wish to discuss further.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #764 of 9,638

How microphonic is that Arctic Cable compared to the Kimber? It looks nice, I'm looking forward to your impressions.
Thank you very much
First I have to say what I really forgot:)
The microphone of the cable kimber is at a higher level than
The original cable I received with the Z1R - although the most beautiful and suitable for the Z1R
Much better than the original in my opinion the
new cable
Very very flexible
Almost never feels the head spin when the Z1R is on me -40"+- ANGEL but I hear it in the Z1R construction.
1. Original cable - the quietest
2. ARETICCABLE IS SUPERB BUT IT IS THER .
3. Sony's Kimberl cable is really uncomfortable - and a lot of sound of microphone

The impressions will come in great detail - and exactly what I hear and feel from day one until today

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #765 of 9,638
THE NEW SPL PHONITOR -2 FOR Z1R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back