Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 10, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #691 of 9,634
They sound very very nice for a pair of BT IEM's but the ANC is essentially useless. It's almost impossible to tell if it's on or off it's that poor.

Really?! Maybe that's why they pushed back the launch date to late October, ostensibly due to "packaging issues".

Personally I find foam-tip IEM's better than any ANC, although wireless is very temping!

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #692 of 9,634
Slightly OT but since you asked. They sound very very nice for a pair of BT IEM's but the ANC is essentially useless. It's almost impossible to tell if it's on or off it's that poor.

Bitterly disappointed and mine are going straight back. Given Sony make what are basically the same headphones without ANC you might as well get those of you're interested in the sound.

If you're interested in ANC don't even bother...

My experience is the opposite. The ANC works even in the noisy streets and trains of Hong Kong, it's a god send. Granted you aren't talking about complete block out like the over ear MDR1000X big brother, but with music on it is at least a 70% reduction in noise, which is amazing for a universal fit IEM.

My issue is that the connection is not stable, and it doesn't seem to go into SBC mode.

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #693 of 9,634
Slightly OT but since you asked. They sound very very nice for a pair of BT IEM's but the ANC is essentially useless. It's almost impossible to tell if it's on or off it's that poor.

Bitterly disappointed and mine are going straight back. Given Sony make what are basically the same headphones without ANC you might as well get those of you're interested in the sound.

If you're interested in ANC don't even bother...

Did you turn it on? It's a bit tricky to turn on the ANC.

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #694 of 9,634
Yes definitely turned on. Voice confirmation and via app. Fiddled with all the settings, ran the calibration thing etc.

Genuinely they made absolutely no difference at all to what I could here in a busy supermarket.

I'd say they reduce background noise by about 5% just putting them in raising to 7% with ANC on.

In my car (not whist driving but to simulate say a train) the engine noise was not reduced at all and I could hear every little creak of the seat, rain against windscreen etc.

I am not the only person in the UK at least to have this experience. Maybe there's a faulty batch.

I really wanted to like them - ideal for my daily commute in terms of size etc but my pair (and as I say at least one other pair - see reviews on Amazon uk) simply don't work.

I've since demo'd both the WH 1000XM2's and QC35 II's and have gone with the Bose. The Sony's with NC active but no music playing faintly replicated the background song on in the store - this wasn't just noise passing through - they actually played the music - like the NC was working too hard so it played instead of cancelled the tune.

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #695 of 9,634
Yes definitely turned on. Voice confirmation and via app. Fiddled with all the settings, ran the calibration thing etc.

Genuinely they made absolutely no difference at all to what I could here in a busy supermarket.

I'd say they reduce background noise by about 5% just putting them in raising to 7% with ANC on.

In my car (not whist driving but to simulate say a train) the engine noise was not reduced at all and I could hear every little creak of the seat, rain against windscreen etc.

I am not the only person in the UK at least to have this experience. Maybe there's a faulty batch.

I really wanted to like them - ideal for my daily commute in terms of size etc but my pair (and as I say at least one other pair - see reviews on Amazon uk) simply don't work.

I've since demo'd both the WH 1000XM2's and QC35 II's and have gone with the Bose. The Sony's with NC active but no music playing faintly replicated the background song on in the store - this wasn't just noise passing through - they actually played the music - like the NC was working too hard so it played instead of cancelled the tune.

I would also guess that it's a defective unit. Even the nc universals which came with the NWZ-A845 cancelled more than let's say 50% and that was 2010. So Sony knows how to implement nc funktionality.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #697 of 9,634
DSC02812.JPG
SONY Z1R
I almost put them in a beauty closet
At first it sounded I felt NOT GOOD
There is something here to improve

I went for it in SPL PHONITOR 2 - giving a slap in the face to everything I have and had
A different sound is amazing - this is a really professional monitor device
What openings and possibilities are for the professionals
Suddenly the Sony sounds different from the Luxman P-1U- it's like switching from a super-high-quality TUB full of oil and there's no control over anything
Here SPL
ON Z1R the sky opened up really amazing...............
not so forgiving that also reveals all the misrepresentations of the equipment itself and top recordings including that I have Maranz 11 and others.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #698 of 9,634
SONY Z1R

I went for it in SPL PHONITOR 2 - giving a slap in the face to everything I have and had
Suddenly the Sony sounds different from the Luxman P-1U- it's like switching from a super-high-quality TUB full of oil and there's no control over anything
Here SPL
not so forgiving that also reveals all the misrepresentations of the equipment itself and top recordings including that I have Maranz 11 and others.
Nice that you finally found a setup that suits you. To me the Z1r is still perfect balanced out of my SONY WM1A DAP.

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #699 of 9,634
SONY Z1R

Here SPL
Ahhhh..lovely meters..looks like a nice amp.

Balanced input...can you drive the headphones balanced? I don't see that. Also what's the purpose of the speaker/headphone switch? To use it as a pre-amp only?

Bern

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #700 of 9,634
Nice that you finally found a setup that suits you. To me the Z1r is still perfect balanced out of my SONY WM1A DAP.
THANK YOU
The Z1R must have a strong amplifier
But with a neutral sound quality
IMO

For example an amplifier with as much power as my P-1U
His Timber .FAT
Luxman is typical in his tunic.
Really do not believe the sound between the two amplifiers with the Z1R

SPL is open with a frightening and transparent power
I'm still trying

I'm waiting for a balanced XLR NEOTECH UPOCC cable

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #701 of 9,634
Ahhhh..lovely meters..looks like a nice amp.

Balanced input...can you drive the headphones balanced? I don't see that. Also what's the purpose of the speaker/headphone switch? To use it as a pre-amp only?

Bern
csm_Phonitor2_rear_ac9e73a27f.jpg

TWO IN BAL XLR
ONE RCA
ONE BAL OUT FOR -

Amplified speakers - can receive from this output
Electrostatic earphones - just need their adapter
EXTERNAL OUTPUTS 3 Pins XLR OUT
This port is built to run balanced
3 Pin XLR Headphones
I'm supposed to get in the next few days
Cable building it special for me handmade FOR Z1R
As soon as he arrived
Upload photo

This is the studio model - number 2
There is a more tailored model called SPL PHONITOR X

It also has a tremendous dynamic rang
Class A

csm_Phonitor2_B_front_7474e515f4.jpg

https://spl.info/en/products/headphone-amplifier/phonitor-2/specifications.html

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #702 of 9,634
csm_Phonitor2_rear_ac9e73a27f.jpg

TWO IN BAL XLR
ONE RCA
ONE BAL OUT FOR -

Amplified speakers - can receive from this output
Electrostatic earphones - just need their adapter
EXTERNAL OUTPUTS 3 Pins XLR OUT
This port is built to run balanced
3 Pin XLR Headphones
I'm supposed to get in the next few days
Cable building it special for me handmade FOR Z1R
As soon as he arrived
Upload photo

This is the studio model - number 2
There is a more tailored model called SPL PHONITOR X

It also has a tremendous dynamic rang
Class A

csm_Phonitor2_B_front_7474e515f4.jpg

https://spl.info/en/products/headphone-amplifier/phonitor-2/specifications.html
Thx...I understand now. Looks nice!

Bern

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #703 of 9,634
Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #704 of 9,634
two amplifiers PHONITOR 2 + LUXMAN P-1U
+ SONY MDR-Z1R
I sold all of my HD800 with BCL

But I'm considering returning the HD800 again

In any case the Z1R is another level of sound that is lacking in HD800

And I made some comparisons with everything before I sold

The Z1R is the winner in almost all areas of this amazing
Width and stage
Really but really a little less than the HD800 - to the point of not lacked at all
But from there to

As time passes Z1R proves that it is another full and very enjoyable sound
Even to the point that the HD800 sounds hollow.

This week I have to get an ultra cable at a reasonable price NEOTECH /PUOCC
The earphones will work in balanced pin ports as designed by the manufacturer -
Even more specific than a 4-pin cable
That way every driver has everything separate and connected and has an amplifier on the special exit to his channel
Recommend a lot of forum members here
Really here is the place where friends who know and experience the best are

After a 150-hour run for an amplifier that's new to me + the cable

At the moment I have two cables and one fairly medium STOK after comparison with the kimber
Of Sony themselves
Bought I did not know that and buy the rest
But it's good to have another one

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #705 of 9,634
So you sold both of your HD800? A pity, Im on the opinion that a Z1R and an HD800 will be an all you ever need pair of one closed one open headphones.
Glad you finally get infected by the Allure of the Z1R :wink:

Btw, do you plan to make a video about the Sony again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back