Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #166 of 9,634
@beowulf

How do you clean your inside earcup. It look so very clean.......

I don't really clean it to be honest. I use them on my computer desk most of the time, it's a fairly clean environment.

I do have a soft painbrush (like the ones you actually use to paint) which I use to "dust off" dust particles from the exterior mesh. There's no big issue with having them a bit dusty, but my OCD likes seeing them uniformly pristine. :p
That would also work to clean the inside cup if necessary.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #167 of 9,634
HI there, I´m new to this forum, so this is my first post. In need for a closed can I did purchase the Z1R (already do have the Z7 which I really liked), so I thought the Z1R was the headphone to go.
Unfortunately I somehow do not like the soundshape (I do like the sound of my HD800 and the IE800) or perhapse I´m doing something wrong here. The bass is really very very strong and I think it´s very dull, not very defined. Some music is almost impossible to hear (for example Moderat - Bad Kingdom, as the bass is killing almost the mids). I often read in this thread that it was good for EDM and not so good classical music. Well, I do think it´s vice versa, love to hear piano sound or classical music with this can, although I somtimes think the bass is to strong (fpr example Widor´s symphony Nr 5.
I only have two days left before I have to send it back to the seller for a refund. I really do love the can concerning the design, the soundstage and the sound (classical music), but I do hate the strong bass.
Any advice what to do to lighten the bass? I´m a liitle bit afraid that I send this one back only to see, that the new Pioneer SE Monitor 5 ist a real step back to this headphone.

Thanks a lot

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #168 of 9,634
The bass Z1R changed alot with the equipment I used. So you could try out it with different gear and see if that fixes it.

Else I guess you could also EQ it if only the bass levels are a problem.

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #169 of 9,634
HI there, I´m new to this forum, so this is my first post. In need for a closed can I did purchase the Z1R (already do have the Z7 which I really liked), so I thought the Z1R was the headphone to go.
Unfortunately I somehow do not like the soundshape (I do like the sound of my HD800 and the IE800) or perhapse I´m doing something wrong here. The bass is really very very strong and I think it´s very dull, not very defined. Some music is almost impossible to hear (for example Moderat - Bad Kingdom, as the bass is killing almost the mids). I often read in this thread that it was good for EDM and not so good classical music. Well, I do think it´s vice versa, love to hear piano sound or classical music with this can, although I somtimes think the bass is to strong (fpr example Widor´s symphony Nr 5.
I only have two days left before I have to send it back to the seller for a refund. I really do love the can concerning the design, the soundstage and the sound (classical music), but I do hate the strong bass.
Any advice what to do to lighten the bass? I´m a liitle bit afraid that I send this one back only to see, that the new Pioneer SE Monitor 5 ist a real step back to this headphone.

Thanks a lot
When did you receive the Z1r? How do you drive it? Owning the Z7 and Z1r myself, I can assure you the Z1r is the better can, but it may take some time to get used to. I personally dig Yello, Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, Nick Bärtsch and The Nighthawks (album 707) on the Z1r. All driven from WM1A dap. And last but not least LaBrassBanda.....

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #170 of 9,634

Thanks a lot
I brirefly listended to the Pioneer and found the treble too piercing- too much for my taste

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #171 of 9,634
imho the best closed HP on the market and one of the best in this price range in general.
Agree, especially with the build quality it has, like the Z7, it's unmatched in its respective price bracket.

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #172 of 9,634
Just a question guys. How long before this thing opens up? 100 Hrs? I'm using it as much as I can now, but I'm mildly annoyed that my Z5 has a bigger soundstage. I'm desparately resisting the temptation to use my Z5s instead cos I want the Z1R to break in. lol! Both go thru the PHA-3 so no excuses there.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #174 of 9,634
Does it really sound that narrow?

Compared to the Z5? I think so. But my Z5 has been worked for over a week, non-stop while the Z1R is brand new. I'm running on the Kimbers, so it's a little better than stock, but still nowhere near the Z5s, which are IEMs. Go figure. Lol. But I distinctly remembered the set I tried at the Sony store to be more open sounding, so I figure those had already been broken in, since they've been there for a couple of years... but I have to admit, putting the Z5 together with the PHA3 is where magic happens. I'm just hoping the same magic with the Z1R happens too.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #175 of 9,634

Thanks a lot

You can tape off the oval venting port on the upper edge of the earcup to get less bass. The more you tape off, the less bass you'll hear.

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #176 of 9,634
You can tape off the oval venting port on the upper edge of the earcup to get less bass. The more you tape off, the less bass you'll hear.
Great, better disable the best feature of the headphone, lol! Here goes the cable and modding stuff again.......

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #177 of 9,634
I punched 4 holes in mine to make it a semi-open. JK! Seriously though that is interesting to tape off the port for less bass. But I am with @pietcux, the bass is whats up on the Z1R. Won't be messing with that personally.

@Witcher I am surprised you think it sounds narrow, but I have never heard the Z5 so I can't comment on that.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #178 of 9,634
I punched 4 holes in mine to make it a semi-open. JK! Seriously though that is interesting to tape off the port for less bass. But I am with @pietcux, the bass is whats up on the Z1R. Won't be messing with that personally.

@Witcher I am surprised you think it sounds narrow, but I have never heard the Z5 so I can't comment on that.

Well, My other set of cans is the HD800S. That's a really wide sound stage. But that's an open set, so not a fair comparison. I do think it's cos the Z1R is BNIB. it'll get better with use I'm sure. The Z5 wasn't this wide when I started with it either. Then again the Z5 are some of the widest sounding iems I've ever heard. And much of that also has to do with the PHA3 pairing. On it's own the Z5 is still good, just not as wide.

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #180 of 9,634
Great, better disable the best feature of the headphone, lol! Here goes the cable and modding stuff again.......

Might be the best feature to you (and to me), but he asked how to tune the bass down and I told him. I actually think it's pretty cool that you can tune the bass to your needs and it almost makes me wish it came with a factory insert that you could place into that vent to EQ the bottom end to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back