Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 10, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #106 of 9,645
LOL yeah, my STX is the oldest part of my PC, still running good for 7+ years. I just felt that it is time for an upgrade, hence i snatched the DAC. My only worry with new DAC is i am still not sure whether it can play Dolby or DTS movies, or there will be no sound at all.
The digital out of the STX transports the Dolby signal to the connected dac/amp, don't worry.

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #108 of 9,645
So, that means i have to connect it to my DAC using Coax?
It can be done Coax and optical with an adaptor. If you look closely then you see a red led inside the coax outlet.
Right now I use the Dolby Atmos for W10 plugin for headpone, the Dolby headphone funktion disabled. The card set to 2 channel hifi.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #110 of 9,645
Back on topic. Does anyone want to share the experience with the Sony MDR Z1 ability to forge a soundstage compared to what you've experienced? The 800s had impressed me before I purchased the Sony. Anyone still own the Classic Sony R10?

To my ears, the Z1R's have among the widest and deepest sound stage for closed-back headphones. Simply amazing soundstaging abilities that were the final straw in me purchasing them.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #111 of 9,645
I sold my Z1r not long ago but I think I am ready to comeback lol- really want to like the Aeons - I will give them a proper "Brain" burn in- but I tell you I just miss the great bass, slam, relaxing sound of the Z1r- the Aeons mids may be more forward and treble extension good but for me the lack of bass compared to the Z1r is not satisfying me so far. Really miss the Z1r lol

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #112 of 9,645
Still listening to mine every night in bed before I go to sleep, it's such an enjoyable and relaxing headphone for that purpose that sometimes I lose myself and ends up sleeping a couple of hours too late lol.

Also having recently purchased the supposed "measures better and cost less" Denon D7200, I'm not convinced by that reputation at all and is keeping the Z1R for sure. In fact I'm really debating whether I really should keep the D7200 because it really doesn't sound better than the Z1R to me and comfort wise falls way behind the Z1R.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #113 of 9,645
i've not seen any measurements for the d7200. which measurements are you referring to?

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #116 of 9,645
To my ears, the Z1R's have among the widest and deepest sound stage for closed-back headphones. Simply amazing soundstaging abilities that were the final straw in me purchasing them.

Absolutely agree, it makes no sense to compare to open-back Headphones as both has different physicality and designs, and with different designs like this, there are differences in soundstage presentation as well. But none the less, Z1R offers the most impressive soundstage for a closed back headphones and if you are a soundstage fanatic, you will definitely love it.

The unique aspect here is the vertical senses of space presentation from Z1R. When watching Movies, helicopter do sound like it is coming from up above the head :D. It also presents these in music collection as well

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #117 of 9,645
So going back to my post about the leather pads, here's the end result after drying. It took a bit longer to fully dry/absorb the wax than I had expected, almost four or five days! Which is a long time to keep the Z1R alone. :D

But the end result was good. All the previous crack marks are gone, very uniform pads now. I think they're even more perfect than when they arrived new. :p
Sloppy fingerprint on the frame, tsc, tsc. Only noticed it now looking at the photo.

20170712_183612.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #119 of 9,645
i've not seen any measurements for the d7200. which measurements are you referring to?

Google is your friend. Just type in "Denon d7200 frequency response" and it's the top hits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back