Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 22, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #8,491 of 9,635
Found this earlier in the thread and decided to try it out. It is the Avantree HS102. Fits the z1r perfectly. The part where the headband rests is really gentle to the headband. On the picture my headband is extended to 7 on each side.

Attachments

• E38ED62E-1CE5-4353-B4CD-C89B0CCA12C6.jpeg
    E38ED62E-1CE5-4353-B4CD-C89B0CCA12C6.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 22, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #8,492 of 9,635
Hello all. Can anyone tell me if a copper cable will tame the 10k peak on this beautiful headphone? Thinking of taking the plunge but i need this bit of info before i do so. Thanks

Edit: nm i found what i'm looking for 😎

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #8,494 of 9,635
Hello all. Can anyone tell me if a copper cable will tame the 10k peak on this beautiful headphone? Thinking of taking the plunge but i need this bit of info before i do so. Thanks

Edit: nm i found what i'm looking for 😎
I’ve found that both the Axios copper and the Lavri Grand silver tamed that peak and generally improved on the stock cable

Aug 23, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #8,497 of 9,635

Just comments throughout the thread that echoed what you, nc8000 and gerelmx1986 said. I just need to hear them. I'm going to meet a buddy in NYC for ramen and we'll also head to B&H to have a listen to the Z1R. If I like it I will probably pull the trigger in the near future. Thanks so much guys!

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #8,498 of 9,635
Just comments throughout the thread that echoed what you, nc8000 and gerelmx1986 said. I just need to hear them. I'm going to meet a buddy in NYC for ramen and we'll also head to B&H to have a listen to the Z1R. If I like it I will probably pull the trigger in the near future. Thanks so much guys!
I predict you will pull the trigger. If you do, please enjoy

Aug 23, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #8,499 of 9,635
I predict you will pull the trigger. If you do, please enjoy

Thanks. It's certainly a safe prediction given my behavior the last few years 😁

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #8,500 of 9,635
So, I've been reading literally hundred of pages on multiple forums to decide which closed-back headphone will be my next purchase.
I will probably replace my Hifiman Edition XS as I find their design really cheap. I really dig their sound signature though.

I narrowed it to two competitors : Sony MDR-Z1R vs Denon AH-D9200.
I know some comparisons have already been made (thanks again @Malevolent ) but I'm torn between the two and I can't really test them.

My usage will be 80% music, 20% gaming (FPS, so the imaging / precision would be important).

I listen mostly to metal/rock, prog, EDM, RAP... Actually many genres.
For reference, my favorite listening gear is my Fibae 7 Unlimited : smooth, engaging, punchy, detailed, non-fatiguing.

I have a pure OCC copper cable coming (even though I'm really not into the cable game).

Any advice ? :>

Aug 27, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #8,501 of 9,635
So, I've been reading literally hundred of pages on multiple forums to decide which closed-back headphone will be my next purchase.
I will probably replace my Hifiman Edition XS as I find their design really cheap. I really dig their sound signature though.

I narrowed it to two competitors : Sony MDR-Z1R vs Denon AH-D9200.
I know some comparisons have already been made (thanks again @Malevolent ) but I'm torn between the two and I can't really test them.

My usage will be 80% music, 20% gaming (FPS, so the imaging / precision would be important).

I listen mostly to metal/rock, prog, EDM, RAP... Actually many genres.
For reference, my favorite listening gear is my Fibae 7 Unlimited : smooth, engaging, punchy, detailed, non-fatiguing.

I have a pure OCC copper cable coming (even though I'm really not into the cable game).

Any advice ? :>

I own both the D9200 and the Z1R and have done it for quite a while. For the headphones you own and for what you describe I would say get the Z1R... But :)

The Z1R can be polarising and you won't necessarily like it even though it will be the best on paper! And definitely do not buy it on my advice.

The main disadvantage with the D9200 for me is that it's a tad too bright, overall not only treble. And it only works with 50 %(roughly) of the music I listen to. But with the right music it's outstanding and unbeatable. The bass quality is world class.

The Z1R is warmer with very good imaging and instruments separation and better than the D9200. The D9200 is faster, more engaging, more punchy and that low end can't be beat :) but it's also fatiguing or at least for me it is.

I have tried several cables balanced/non balanced and don't think I have ever heard any difference with these two headphones!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #8,502 of 9,635
I own both the D9200 and the Z1R and have done it for quite a while. For the headphones you own and for what you describe I would say get the Z1R... But :)

The Z1R can be polarising and you won't necessarily like it even though it will be the best on paper! And definitely do not buy it on my advice.

The main disadvantage with the D9200 for me is that it's a tad too bright, overall not only treble. And it only works with 50 %(roughly) of the music I listen to. But with the right music it's outstanding and unbeatable. The bass quality is world class.

The Z1R is warmer with very good imaging and instruments separation and better than the D9200. The D9200 is faster, more engaging, more punchy and that low end can't be beat :) but it's also fatiguing or at least for me it is.

I have tried several cables balanced/non balanced and don't think I have ever heard any difference with these two headphones!
Ah yes, I forgot to tell I'm treble sensitive and can't stand sibilance. ATH-MSR7/HD25 Amperior were painful to my ears.

I think I'll go towards the Z1R.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #8,503 of 9,635

More or less same conclusions here (based on my Z7s experience)... To summarize:

- If you want an impactful experience (or are in the mood for that) with a very good and tight bass: 9200s... Highs and vocals can be annoying, specially at high volume, if you low a little the volume the bass won't be as perceptible but you avoid those issues. I find the mids recessed, not the vocals, just the instruments playing.

- If you want to just relax (don't want the music to hit as hard because you are exhausted from work or something), the Z1Rs.

I have realized what were my issues with the 9200s and are related to their energetic character (more focused because they are closedback headphones) and those days I wanted a relaxed experience and for me was a no way with them...

... But, I've recently sold in the classifieds my Sony Z7s because they sound spectacular with soft genres (jazz or vocal) but I didn't like the experience with rock or metal and prefer those genres with my other headphones.... Anyway, maybe I will come back to the Sony signature in the future with the Z1Rs...

Right now, I'm listening to "Stratovarius - Visions" with the 9200s and enjoying a lot.

Aug 27, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #8,504 of 9,635
Ah yes, I forgot to tell I'm treble sensitive and can't stand sibilance. ATH-MSR7/HD25 Amperior were painful to my ears.

I think I'll go towards the Z1R.
Also get a OCC copper or silver cable as the stock cable makes the highs harsh.

Aug 27, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #8,505 of 9,635

Users who are viewing this thread

Back