Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 15, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #3,181 of 9,746
There are also many people who believe cables have no effect at all on the sound, I will admit that I am one of those people. I would suggest that you simply listen to the Z1R and enjoy it, even with the stock cable it will sound the same. I needed a custom made speaker tap cable to use my NAD M3 amplifier to drive headphones. I have a Norne Solv X cable and despite that I have never once heard with it, or any other special cable the slightest difference in sound.

Somebody once brought over this expensive USB cable for me to test. I use the cheapo USB cables that came with a printer in my system and when going back and forth with whatever this "special USB cable" there was no difference at all and I believe it was a few hundred dollars versus my dollar store variety cable so make of that what you will (or won't).

To each their own and your position is certainly cheaper so great that this works well for you but I absolutely do not agree

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #3,182 of 9,746
There are also many people who believe cables have no effect at all on the sound, I will admit that I am one of those people. I would suggest that you simply listen to the Z1R and enjoy it, even with the stock cable it will sound the same. I needed a custom made speaker tap cable to use my NAD M3 amplifier to drive headphones. I have a Norne Solv X cable and despite that I have never once heard with it, or any other special cable the slightest difference in sound.

Somebody once brought over this expensive USB cable for me to test. I use the cheapo USB cables that came with a printer in my system and when going back and forth with whatever this "special USB cable" there was no difference at all and I believe it was a few hundred dollars versus my dollar store variety cable so make of that what you will (or won't).

Yes, i'm sure there's a lot of truth in what you say. I've ordered the cable now & i doubt whether i could cancel, but as i stated i need longer length cables, for my physical situation / logistics.....but this will be my last cable & headphones. PERIOD ! ( Unless, God forbid i break them ! )

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #3,183 of 9,746
To each their own and your position is certainly cheaper so great that this works well for you but I absolutely do not agree
Exactly, to each their own and I am happy that the hobby is more enjoyable for you with the joy of cable tweaks. We all have to enjoy things the way that works for us.

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #3,184 of 9,746
Yes, i'm sure there's a lot of truth in what you say. I've ordered the cable now & i doubt whether i could cancel, but as i stated i need longer length cables, for my physical situation / logistics.....but this will be my last cable & headphones. PERIOD ! ( Unless, God forbid i break them ! )
Absolutely, it is fine, and regardless of whether or not the cable makes an audible difference, the fact that your after market cable solves a problem from you, and probably looks darn nice as well, those are perfectly valid reasons so enjoy the Z1R and let us know what you think, but do give your brain a little time. As I said earlier, I liked the Z1R at first, but it took a few weeks before I absolutely loved them. Hopefully your experience is the same and the Z1R gives you that audio bliss we all seek.

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #3,185 of 9,746
Absolutely, it is fine, and regardless of whether or not the cable makes an audible difference, the fact that your after market cable solves a problem from you, and probably looks darn nice as well, those are perfectly valid reasons so enjoy the Z1R and let us know what you think, but do give your brain a little time. As I said earlier, I liked the Z1R at first, but it took a few weeks before I absolutely loved them. Hopefully your experience is the same and the Z1R gives you that audio bliss we all seek.

Thanks.....as you, & others say, just enjoy them....i look forward to posting my impressions...

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #3,186 of 9,746
Exactly, to each their own and I am happy that the hobby is more enjoyable for you with the joy of cable tweaks. We all have to enjoy things the way that works for us.

Yes totally agree

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #3,187 of 9,746
I soo regret i've started this cable talk... so i've decided to do a MAJOR MOD to my Z1r !

I've eliminated the need for the cable at all !!

I bought 2 EarStudio BT devises ES100.
Used Foobar200 and make a special plugin that divide the BT signal to 2 channels L/R.
My PC board is able to stream to 2 units simultaneously.
Each ES100 unit receive L or R signal - this way i achieve 100% channel separation ! HUGE headroom.
I've dismantled the Z1r carbon cups and installed the ES100 inside on each side connecting the driver to the 3.5 L channel and then in the other cup the R. put back the Carbon cups.
Since the Z1r is not that hard to drive - it works amazingly !!

NO cable - HUGE sound !!

Jun 15, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #3,188 of 9,746
I soo regret i've started this cable talk... so i've decided to do a MAJOR MOD to my Z1r !

I've eliminated the need for the cable at all !!

I bought 2 EarStudio BT devises ES100.
Used Foobar200 and make a special plugin that divide the BT signal to 2 channels L/R.
My PC board is able to stream to 2 units simultaneously.
Each ES100 unit receive L or R signal - this way i achieve 100% channel separation ! HUGE headroom.
I've dismantled the Z1r carbon cups and installed the ES100 inside on each side connecting the driver to the 3.5 L channel and then in the other cup the R. put back the Carbon cups.
Since the Z1r is not that hard to drive - it works amazingly !!

NO cable - HUGE sound !!
Charging? Did you have to make a hole in each cup for a charge cable.to go through? Did you have to mount a short bridging cable to link the ES100 to the edge of the cup?
Pics please!! Share your handiwork!

Jun 15, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #3,189 of 9,746
Charging? Did you have to make a hole in each cup for a charge cable.to go through? Did you have to mount a short bridging cable to link the ES100 to the edge of the cup?
Pics please!! Share your handiwork!
Right , I forgot to tell about the charging...
So i took 2 batteries pack with wireless charging module and mounted them on the top of the headband so the weight will be more on the head and not on the sides.
When i charge them i just flip the HP upside down.
WhatsApp Image 2019-06-16 at 01.29.09.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-16 at 01.29.08.jpeg

It is quite "heavy" ...but im a strong guy ! :):)

Jun 15, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #3,190 of 9,746
Right , I forgot to tell about the charging...
So i took 2 batteries pack with wireless charging module and mounted them on the top of the headband so the weight will be more on the head and not on the sides.
When i charge them i just flip the HP upside down.

It is quite "heavy" ...but im a strong guy ! :):)
You must be fun at parties!

Jun 15, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #3,193 of 9,746
With respect, you seemed to indicate not to go with silver plated & copper.

Nope. I just don't like to see you hesitate in returning you orders over and again, so the best is you take both and you will see very clearly why the silver plated is sonically a better solution for these cans (even if your own taste may still advocate the pure copper characteristics). Two of your ordered cables is still significantly cheaper than any kimber axios of 8ft, don't they.

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #3,195 of 9,746
Nope. I just don't like to see you hesitate in returning you orders over and again, so the best is you take both and you will see very clearly why the silver plated is sonically a better solution for these cans (even if your own taste may still advocate the pure copper characteristics). Two of your ordered cables is still significantly cheaper than any kimber axios of 8ft, don't they.

My apologies, it was @Lookout57 that said not to buy silver plated & copper. I'll have to stick with the copper i ordered now & at least i've got the stock cable to compare. At nearly £200, with customs charges, buying cables is an expensive game, in just what i've bought so far. ( This will be my third cable, spent something now in the region of £600. ) I never dreamt that i would do this, so to think to buy yet another ( Silver plated & copper. ) at another £200 is a little crazy ! I dread to think of the cost of the Axios ! ?

Anyway, apologies again, hopefully, i'm still going to enjoy the headphones. ( I might contact the ebay seller, but it's probably too late, they process orders pretty quickly ! )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back