Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 15, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #3,170 of 9,746
My Axios is pure copper and I love it but have not tried anything silver

....but that's the really expensive one, mentioned a few posts back ? I'd assumed all this time that silver plated & copper was the way to go ?

The desription on Iqicables states : ( Without posting all the txt. )

Silver plated copper : Neutral & Resolving

Copper : Smooth & engaging. ( For brighter headphones. )

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #3,171 of 9,746
....but that's thereally expensive one, mentioned a few posts back ? I'd assumed all this time that silver plated & copper was the way to go ?

The desription on Iqicables states : ( Without posting all the txt. )

Silver plated copper : Neutral & Resolving

Copper : Smooth & engaging. ( For brighter headphones. )

Yes the Axios copper is very expensive and the Axios silver even more so. Is it really worth the price, only you could say after trying it

Jun 15, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #3,172 of 9,746
Actually I suggest you acquire both as it's mostly a matter of preference the more you've tried the better you understand. Just don't presume what's not okay without listening.

With respect, you seemed to indicate not to go with silver plated & copper.

Don't sweat it. Once you're listening to it, and that smile starts spreading on your face, you won't remember what kind of metal goes where.

Yes, i'm hoping that's the case.....i'm probably over thinking the situation !

10ft x 2 is a lot of cable

Only x 1. ( Can only order 8ft, longest length.....but do have a 10ft cable for my other headphones. )

Jun 15, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #3,175 of 9,746
Jun 15, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #3,176 of 9,746
Kimber Kable Axios

It is a line of products made by Kimber

Yes, i think i was "having a moment" ! Of course i've heard of Kimber. I guess even more expensive than what i've ordered ( £175. ) & then having to import from the US, also ? I think i'll have to stick with the cable i've ordered..?

Jun 15, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #3,177 of 9,746
I got even more. I also braid by myself, find solder& termination combinations with better tonal balance. It's really experience issue.
Agree. That's one slippery slope I'm not prepared to go down. With my hoarding nature, I'll go over board. I figure I save money by just limiting myself to a few and if I need re-termination, I pay someone to do it.
Furthermore, it's not easy for an absolute beginner.

Jun 15, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #3,178 of 9,746
Yes, i think i was "having a moment" ! Of course i've heard of Kimber. I guess even more expensive than what i've ordered ( £175. ) & then having to import from the US, also ? I think i'll have to stick with the cable i've ordered..?
Good idea. Like I said, don't overthink it.

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #3,179 of 9,746
I've just this second ordered purely copper. Have i done the wrong thing ! ??
There are also many people who believe cables have no effect at all on the sound, I will admit that I am one of those people. I would suggest that you simply listen to the Z1R and enjoy it, even with the stock cable it will sound the same. I needed a custom made speaker tap cable to use my NAD M3 amplifier to drive headphones. I have a Norne Solv X cable and despite that I have never once heard with it, or any other special cable the slightest difference in sound.

Somebody once brought over this expensive USB cable for me to test. I use the cheapo USB cables that came with a printer in my system and when going back and forth with whatever this "special USB cable" there was no difference at all and I believe it was a few hundred dollars versus my dollar store variety cable so make of that what you will (or won't).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back