Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 22, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #1,547 of 9,633
The focal e/clears actually drop significantly around where the Z1R rises. So it's not surprising if you label one of them as smooth and judge the other one, getting a result that the other is damn bad.

Apr 22, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #1,548 of 9,633
The focal e/clears actually drop significantly around where the Z1R rises. So it's not surprising if you label one of them as smooth and judge the other one, getting a result that the other is damn bad.
Let's allow each individual his own preferences, each earlobe/earcanal is different, hence has it's own frequency response. On top our listening adapts to different acoustical environments. I reckon each headphone as a different environment or let's say listening room. If you want to judge a new headphone give it exclusiveness. Listen to it without swapping back and forth to your other cans at all. Then if the adaption to this new environment is done you can decide if it is for you or not, only then. Btw, no Internet reviewer does that. They all permanently swap. You should like the overall sound on first listening though.

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #1,550 of 9,633
I don't get the treble peak talk either. I for one find the Z1R's extremely resolving and detailed from lows to highs for closed/semi-closed. Against the Utopia it just misses out on that last bit of clarity, quickness and dynamics that make them so special. But for the Z1R's to be a closed headphones and possess the spaciousness of a open headphone is pretty incredible to me.

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #1,551 of 9,633
Agree this debate of peaks and measurements is getting old. The ZIR sound good to me and a bunch of people. How about Hd-800's treble, is it smooth? And guess what, a lot of people love them too. We all like what we like. By the way, for now, I don't care about measurements of headphones because from what i seen, there is no standard process, different rigs out there. Is there a certifying authority for measuring process and equipment?It is like a jungle out there, with everybody measuring and voicing their opinion. And just because some of them have similar results does not mean they are accurate. So for now, I will just let my ears be the judge. I think we need more "real" scientists more involved in this process. I know Harman have been doing a lot of stuff, but would love to see organization like the Canada National Research council come up with a proper headphone measuring chamber LOL

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #1,552 of 9,633
Agree this debate of peaks and measurements is getting old. The ZIR sound good to me and a bunch of people. How about Hd-800's treble, is it smooth? And guess what, a lot of people love them too. We all like what we like. I think we need more "real" scientists more involved in this process. I know Harman have been doing a lot of stuff, but would love to see organization like the Canada National Research council come up with a proper headphone measuring chamber LOL

That the Z1R sounds good is indisputable, but this is a forum and we have to bitch about something bcos otherwise we're just employing turgid language to rehash "it sounds good". The Z1R has an unusual response to certain beats around 8-10kHz which equates to something like a mole on a pretty face.
82cb6964cf6b6d41df76592aa8ff046e00678ac2_1000.jpg

The HD800's are consistently boring (linear/balanced) and devoid of anything resembling entertainment... but there are countless topics concerning mods which purport to add some excitement.
HD800's not what I was expecting...
tootsie-300x300.jpeg

And please don't bring scientist in to this; I worked with scientist for a whole 2 years... seemed like 20 w/ all the politics. Their ability to agree on anything is defined by their ability to bore their colleagues/counter view in to resignation (these battles can last decades). If graphs bore you, wait until you get a scientists with 3 PhDs involved, their ability to construct information to suit their agenda is unparalleled.

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #1,553 of 9,633
That the Z1R sounds good is indisputable, but this is a forum and we have to bitch about something bcos otherwise we're just employing turgid language to rehash "it sounds good". The Z1R has an unusual response to certain beats around 8-10kHz which equates to something like a mole on a pretty face.

The HD800's are consistently boring (linear/balanced) and devoid of anything resembling entertainment... but there are countless topics concerning mods which purport to add some excitement.
tootsie-300x300.jpeg

And please don't bring scientist in to this; I worked with scientist for a whole 2 years... seemed like 20 w/ all the politics. Their ability to agree on anything is defined by their ability to bore their colleagues/counter view in to resignation (these battles can last decades). If graphs bore you, wait until you get a scientists with 3 PhDs involved, their ability to construct information to suit their agenda is unparalleled.
This is epic!

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #1,554 of 9,633
If graphs bore you, wait until you get a scientists with 3 PhDs involved, their ability to construct information to suit their agenda is unparalleled.
unparalleled perhaps but it's not unique to them either from what i've encountered here. that said, at least there are some folks who are prepared to countenance the possibility that a treble peak may exist in some units. :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #1,555 of 9,633

tootsie-300x300.jpeg

I'm often curious why most so called 'neutral' headphones seem so dull. This doesn't happen easily with speakers, when they are measured flat they seem to be closer to music itself. However I don't believe this in headphones, at least for now. Instead the Z1R could make me feel closer to music at times.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #1,556 of 9,633

tootsie-300x300.jpeg

Best comment of the thread! you nailed sir

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #1,560 of 9,633
For a closed back can someone give me an accurate description of the soundstage. I'm unable to audition them at present. Any impressions with hugo2 would be great too. Thanks mk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back