Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 21, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #1,532 of 9,633
After comparing the Zh1es and Jot mb the Zh1es is the winner for me... the schiit is very good, and I’d say it punches above its weight. The Sony is just smoother and less digital sounding to me. Vocals are slightly less sibilant. The build quality of the Sony is also astounding, really really amazing, the thing weighs a ton!

This is my work setup and I listen 4-6 hours a day, and the Sony is just so pleasant and easy, it was the obvious choice. I think the key with both the Z1r and Zh1es is that they really get my foot tapping... I’m not analyzing the music, just enjoying.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #1,533 of 9,633
Hi, may I know what amp + dac you are using. Thanks.
It's in my signature - Gaming 2.

I haven't gotten around to upgrading from the R2R 11 yet, but I like how it sounds. I only use the Sound Blaster X7 for its DSP.

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #1,535 of 9,633
Jude did some great work here in this regard:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...e-from-ifa-2016.818846/page-691#post-13547603

I've heard at least 8 different sets (not including my pair) and ALL exhibited a very smooth treble response and IMO, this is one of their strong suits.

The Z1R isn't smooth. I pulled my Focal Clear next to the Z1R (on Sony their own $3500 DAP + their high-end amplifier) and the Z1R really has a big peak in comparison to the Focal Clear.

If Jude his measurement show that the Z1R is smooth, than he is measuring it wrong.

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #1,536 of 9,633
The Z1R isn't smooth. I pulled my Focal Clear next to the Z1R (on Sony their own $3500 DAP + their high-end amplifier) and the Z1R really has a big peak in comparison to the Focal Clear.

If Jude his measurement show that the Z1R is smooth, than he is measuring it wrong.

Lol, sure. :wink:

I've done sine wave sweeps with 6 different pairs and owned mine for just over a year...these headphones are very smooth to my ears. And Jude's got about the best setup I've seen. The Sony DAP is overly warm IMO. Don't know why the price has anything to do with it?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #1,537 of 9,633
Lol, sure. :wink:

I've done sine wave sweeps with 6 different pairs...these headphones are very smooth. And Jude's got about the best setup I've seen. The Sony DAP is overly warm IMO.

$$$$$$ doesn't equal being good. I don't trust any measurements saying these Z1R are balanced and smooth.

I hear the difference between the Focal Clear (which actually also has a peak somewhere but not very big) and the Z1R quite easily. I stopped the testing quite fast as it was obvious that the Focal Clear was better than the Z1R.

The Sony is definitely warm, but I was simply giving all possible advantages to the Z1R by using an all Sony setup.

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #1,538 of 9,633
$$$$$$ doesn't equal being good. I don't trust any measurements saying these Z1R are balanced and smooth.

I hear the difference between the Focal Clear (which actually also has a peak somewhere but not very big) and the Z1R quite easily. I stopped the testing quite fast as it was obvious that the Focal Clear was better than the Z1R.

The Sony is definitely warm, but I was simply giving all possible advantages to the Z1R by using an all Sony setup.
Does the Focal Clear have the same sound stage and bass as the Z1R ?

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #1,539 of 9,633

I wasn't impressed with the Clear and again, to my ears, the Z1R's strength is their smoothness. Jude's rig is pretty impressive and I look forward to a wiki with the published measurements.

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #1,540 of 9,633
Does the Focal Clear have the same sound stage and bass as the Z1R ?

Didn’t hear much of a difference in soundstage and bass on the test tracks that was on the Sony DAP. But that is not unexpected as the Z1R has the best soundstage among closed headphones (it could be that the Z1R is actually bigger, but I didn’t pay much attention to that). I was more listening for the tonal balance as that was always the problem with the Z1R for me.

But the tonal balance of the Focal Clear is better as the Z1R just has a big peak somewhere.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #1,541 of 9,633
Didn’t hear much of a difference in soundstage and bass on the test tracks that was on the Sony DAP. But that is not unexpected as the Z1R has the best soundstage among closed headphones (it could be that the Z1R is actually bigger, but I didn’t pay much attention to that).

But the tonal balance of the Focal Clear is better as the Z1R just has a big peak somewhere.

Yeah, sorry man, no peaks to my ears with the several pairs I've heard. I need to hear it on the Sony DAP...maybe that was the issue? I wasn't impressed with either of their two top DAPs. The Clear are nice headphones, but lack the ultimate transparency of the Utopia...for some reason, I prefer the Elears to the Clears by a small margin.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #1,542 of 9,633
Yeah, sorry man, no peaks to my ears with the several pairs I've heard. I need to hear it on the Sony DAP...maybe that was the issue? I wasn't impressed with either of their two top DAPs. The Clear are nice headphones, but lack the ultimate transparency of the Utopia...for some reason, I prefer the Elears to the Clears by a small margin.

Yeah, it’s a downgrade over the Utopia (especially with upgraded high-end cables) but I got it more as a portable headphone when I am in other countries in hotels.

If you don’t hear it, then I guess you don’t. I am still suprised that alot of people don’t hear the peak on the Z1R. My ears are more in line with the graphs of Tyll (eventhough his measurement rig is more amateur).

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #1,544 of 9,633
My ears are more in line with the graphs of Tyll
I glossed over Tyll review, and only recently looked at the FR graph... but now I kind of agree with it even though I don't share his opinion.
My 1 line description of the Z1R: Warm with a sparkle; awesome bass, nice spacious ambience and an occasionally fatiguing zing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back