Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 13, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #1,486 of 9,645
I have only had the Z1R for a couple days. Did my normal routine with DSotM with the MUC-B20SB1 cable, the 1Z and TA-ZH1ES. DSotM has been a recording I have heard on $100K vinyl rigs as well as IPods. I would have to say even with-out burn-in the Z1R did surprisingly well. The heavy synth notes after the clock chimes were warm and textured on "Time". What really surprised me was how the headphones did on lesser recordings. Van Halen (1978) has always been a test disk, here using the Japan 1st pressing file run off the Z1 in side USB mode, the cymbals were perfect. The guitar had both a meaty tone as well as great placement and separation.

Probably the closeness of everything is what has me so much enamored here. It's as if the sonic placement has the tracks floating near by not across the room. Still there is that speaker with room effect going on in the low-end. Again an album like Stella (1985) by Yello has never sounded better. Most of Stella must be due to the 70mm DD doing the reverberations so on point? I really don't know? What I can say is the Signature Series left me not wanting to hear it on vinyl. I kept thinking......"This digital file has always been on the thin side?" But once again the adding of detail, room effect and rock solid imaging takes the cake. It's that or I don't know what it is. DSD upscale tomfoolery?

The Achilles Heel is obviously the control in the low end. The bass definition is what it is. Male vocals are just simply a slight tad lower in the mix than they should be normally. Lucky Robert Plant can bypass the baritone male getting up to tenor falsetto and such............lucky here! And.........to put it all in perspective Stairway To Heaven almost had me cry in my beer. It was all that good..................HD remaster 24/96.

But different too.........with all these perceived dynamics, parts of songs which I was expecting to have more bass and more emphasis had less. There is a transition in Stairway To Heaven where the keyboard low note kicks-in right along with a low note electric bass string bass note. Normally it's an abrupt and dynamic change in the song, though here it dovetails in with much of the song dynamics. Interestingly I've never heard the bass note done this way. Though it's not overly wrong sounding just surprising. Basically after a couple days you know the 1ZR woods your visiting are not a normal place, nothing is truly as it seems. But the ability to make less than average files shine with DSD upscale makes it all some kind of Head-Fi fantasy.

The sound the headphones have is maybe something new to me, and I've heard headphones starting in 1975. It's a surprising take on adding room effect and maybe not caring about artifacts but going for full tilt musicality? It rubs STAX in the face with proverbial sterile professor papers. It runs off like a non-faithful wife in light of the Harman Curve.

The Sony amp does greatly benefit these phones. I had been using Mytek Brooklyn with linear PS (balanced and with Axios copper headphone cable) and been disappointed that the sound I was getting was less compelling than out of my WM1A with a less good cable. When I had the chance to buy a well discounted TA-ZH1ES I risked it and I'm extremely glad I did, except for the time I pass listening to music when I should be focused on work...

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,487 of 9,645
The Sony amp does greatly benefit these phones. I had been using Mytek Brooklyn with linear PS (balanced and with Axios copper headphone cable) and been disappointed that the sound I was getting was less compelling than out of my WM1A with a less good cable. When I had the chance to buy a well discounted TA-ZH1ES I risked it and I'm extremely glad I did, except for the time I pass listening to music when I should be focused on work...

Well.....they do go well together, though I have to say, I’m probably biased due to the equipment being new. It was a difficult purchase as there were few to no reviews on the TA-ZH1ES on Head-Fi or anywhere else using the Z1R.

Really though, are they not meant to be together by design? Lol!

Yet.....no one was given a signature set in full for a review, in English anyway. The reviews on the signature series normally had one item mixed with other branded equipment.

And like you I took a chance and I’m glad I did. But yes, no reviews of them together really. Now in order of popularity the 1A and 1Z have been the big love affair on Head-Fi with the Z1R in second place and the Signature amp in third place. I could be wrong on my popularity curve but it’s about what I read. The crazy part being not a single review at Head-Fi on the TA-ZH1ES. Maybe the name is confusing? But what ever the reason for it’s lack of popularity, many may like the combo if they tried it.

There is even a chance the amp smooths out artifacts that folks hear with the Z1R using them with other DAC/amp combinations?

First off it seems to be true that the Z1R is a very different animal. It seems to do what you first expect a headphone to do, but then exhibits character traits different from historic headphones in the past. For me the combo gets rid of the thin digital sound I’ve always tried to get away from. Added is a nice warm but still detailed character which does my musical genres a service. It’s not a perfect headphone, but it’s able to do some amazing audio tricks which to my ears bypass any faults it contains.

I would not be surprised if Sony is experimenting with surface metals like graphene to try and stiffen the 70mm DD. I guess in a couple years a new and improved graphene Z1R could be the next level?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,488 of 9,645
Well.....they do go well together, though I have to say, I’m probably biased due to the equipment being new. It was a difficult purchase as there were few to no reviews on the TA-ZH1ES on Head-Fi or anywhere else using the Z1R.

Really though, are they not meant to be together by design? Lol!

Yet.....no one was given a signature set in full for a review, in English anyway. The reviews on the signature series normally had one item mixed with other branded equipment.

And like you I took a chance and I’m glad I did. But yes, no reviews of them together really. Now in order of popularity the 1A and 1Z have been the big love affair on Head-Fi with the Z1R in second place and the Signature amp in third place. I could be wrong on my popularity curve but it’s about what I read. The crazy part being not a single review at Head-Fi on the TA-ZH1ES. Maybe the name is confusing? But what ever the reason for it’s lack of popularity, many may like the combo if they tried it.

There is even a chance the amp smooths out artifacts that folks hear with the Z1R using them with other DAC/amp combinations?

First off it seems to be true that the Z1R is a very different animal. It seems to do what you first expect a headphone to do, but then exhibits character traits different from historic headphones in the past. For me the combo gets rid of the thin digital sound I’ve always tried to get away from. Added is a nice warm but still detailed character which does my musical genres a service. It’s not a perfect headphone, but it’s able to do some amazing audio tricks which to my ears bypass any faults it contains.

Search for on-topic posts from MTMECraig. I’m not sure if he’s posted anything here about Z1R / TA-ZH1ES here, but he does say a bit here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XAF3KUJAg0w

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #1,489 of 9,645
Search for on-topic posts from MTMECraig. I’m not sure if he’s posted anything here about Z1R / TA-ZH1ES here, but he does say a bit here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XAF3KUJAg0w

Yes, thank-you for that. I had actually watched that a couple months ago, before being interested in the amp/headphone combination. Interestingly he states that the other amps he used go well with the Z1R but hints the Signature TA-ZH1ES is “perfect”. Sony may keep the line going for awhile and being that the series came out in late 2016, there may be some time for popularity before falling into the distance of obscurity?

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,490 of 9,645
Yes, thank-you for that. I had actually watched that a couple months ago, before being interested in the amp/headphone combination. Interestingly he states that the other amps he used go well with the Z1R but hints the Signature TA-ZH1ES is “perfect”. Sony may keep the line going for awhile and being that the series came out in late 2016, there may be some time for popularity before falling into the distance of obscurity?

I sure hope the TA-ZH1ES is on the market for a few more years. I need the time to save up :money_mouth:

And about that ---> was today a significant date for Sony, i.e. product announcement event or something?? The reasons I ask 1) prices for the wm1z and z1r at yodobashi and biccamera websites are back up to full retail or more, and 2) if you go on Sony's jp website, the wm1a is gone*. The "WM1 series" now consists of the 1z only. I only hope the regular discount price of ~160k yen on the Z1R is still available in-store.

*You can still find it if you use the in-site search engine, or just change the url for the wm1z page to wm1a. But following the links from the main page to portable audio shows all walkman products as series, WM1 series, ZX series, A series, S series, W series. And the WM1 series links to the 1Z only.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #1,491 of 9,645
So - I do agree that the Z1R pairs best with the TA (I own both the TA and the 1Z) - and I am interested in taking a poll on how people are feeding the TA (as I asked above). Are the majority of users feeding it with the 1Z/1A? What other solutions are people using - I use a Sonore Sonicorbiter acting as a ROON endpoint.

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,492 of 9,645
So - I do agree that the Z1R pairs best with the TA (I own both the TA and the 1Z) - and I am interested in taking a poll on how people are feeding the TA (as I asked above). Are the majority of users feeding it with the 1Z/1A? What other solutions are people using - I use a Sonore Sonicorbiter acting as a ROON endpoint.

Feeding it with Auralic Aries Mini

Apr 13, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #1,493 of 9,645
I sure hope the TA-ZH1ES is on the market for a few more years. I need the time to save up :money_mouth:

And about that ---> was today a significant date for Sony, i.e. product announcement event or something?? The reasons I ask 1) prices for the wm1z and z1r at yodobashi and biccamera websites are back up to full retail or more, and 2) if you go on Sony's jp website, the wm1a is gone*. The "WM1 series" now consists of the 1z only. I only hope the regular discount price of ~160k yen on the Z1R is still available in-store.

*You can still find it if you use the in-site search engine, or just change the url for the wm1z page to wm1a. But following the links from the main page to portable audio shows all walkman products as series, WM1 series, ZX series, A series, S series, W series. And the WM1 series links to the 1Z only.

I paid significantly less than retail for my stuff, so I still feel I got a deal. But that’s the thing, electronics are eventually going to get discounted. To me the 1A is the best value. I think it sounds better than the NW-ZX300, plus it’s low weight in comparison to the 1Z. The 1A is also of a more glossy smoother finish. The 1A may be the better combination with the Z1R as it’s the right tone. Spent the evening with the 1Z-Z1R combination connected with the MUC-B20SB1, and while it was spectacular, it still makes you think the clarity of the 1A would be a better match.

There are rumors of a table top anniversary product but nothing confirmed by Sony. Normally Sony keeps their stuff in production and for sale for a long time, so the exclusion of the 1A is strange. The 1A is still noted on many of the Sony player lists. The TA-ZH1ES seems like it couldn’t be effected as this Sony desk-top is rumored to be $12K. Still I don’t care as I would be happy with the Z1R combo TA-ZH1ES forever. I would never think of spending more either.

Using the TA-ZH1ES as the DAC/Amp is getting the Z1R to a completely different level. Once there you never want to go back, it’s the stuff of dreams. Amazingly it’s better than I was ever able to get even with my Woo Audio 5 LE? It may not be better but it suits my preference better. The sound is simply so much bigger and dynamic in contrast to going portable with any 1Z or 1A. It depends too how you join the players. Next week I’ll have the docking station but also getting the dongle from Sony and using an upgraded USB is suppose to be better. You need an upgraded USB with using the docking station too. Still it’s regarded as the docking station to be the best input. Though I still need to try CD coaxial input in a back to back test with the docking station. The side USB cord seems to be the lesser of ways to get music into the amp. Funny that Sony included it as standard fare, being it’s clearly compromised? I say compromised, as that’s the general consensus, though to me still, the side connection is all I have at this point and it’s still crazy-good.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #1,494 of 9,645
I paid significantly less than retail for my stuff, so I still feel I got a deal. But that’s the thing, electronics are eventually going to get discounted.

I've seen the prices for mid-to-high end Sony stuff fluctuate quite a bit at the bigbox Japanese retailers' websites over the past few months. Whatever the reason for everything going back to full retail today, I'm sure it'll be back to normal soon. There's no way I'd pay retail - if I had to do that I might as well buy domestically instead on amazon or whatever. Normally buying in Japan as a tourist means discounted price, duty/tax free, and last time I was there bic camera even knocks another 5% off on tourist purchases to draw the money to their store instead of their competition.

To me the 1A is the best value. I think it sounds better than the NW-ZX300, plus it’s low weight in comparison to the 1Z. The 1A is also of a more glossy smoother finish. The 1A may be the better combination with the Z1R as it’s the right tone. Spent the evening with the 1Z-Z1R combination connected with the MUC-B20SB1, and while it was spectacular, it still makes you think the clarity of the 1A would be a better match.

I was planning on buying the zx300 plus the Z1R, while on vacation there in June. We have family and friends there if a warranty claim were really necessary, and would save about $750 over buying those two from an official retailer in the US. But if the WM1A is being discontinued, which looks like what's happening, it has made me wonder if I should switch my plans around while it can still be had. Don't think I can get away with WM1A plus Z1R at the same time though - this would be in the middle of an approx $20k vacation.

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #1,495 of 9,645
You have to take what I say about the 1A with a grain of salt as I’m currently using the Z1R with it. But it goes without saying if you were planning on using brighter IEMs or headphones.......getting the warm whisky tone from the 1Z would be the way to go. Sony in some way introduced them as the solid state 1A and the tube 1Z and I would say that’s it.

But as far as audiophiles go, we are always looking for that small % improvement, and willing to pay regardless of diminishing returns. That’s where the 1Z fits in. IMO

All I said was the 1A is the value. Still the value is related to a persons personal expectations and wants. The 1 pound weight of the 1Z is again another one of those funny sacrifices audiophiles do for an increment of SQ. With the big 400GB cards around the internal memory is not an issue.

But the whole feel of the 1Z is slighly better the buttons feel more substantial. But it’s strange as the 1Z has a flat texture where the 1A has a smoother outer texture. My 1A is still on burn in as they need a total of 400 hours before the capacitors settle down, 200hr single ended and 200hr balanced. So in many ways, I don’t have a clue of the 1A final sound.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #1,496 of 9,645
You have to take what I say about the 1A with a grain of salt as I’m currently using the Z1R with it. But it goes without saying if you were planning on using brighter IEMs or headphones.......getting the warm whisky tone from the 1Z would be the way to go. Sony in some way introduced them as the solid state 1A and the tube 1Z and I would say that’s it.

But as far as audiophiles go, we are always looking for that small % improvement, and willing to pay regardless of diminishing returns. That’s where the 1Z fits in. IMO

If I were lounging on my yacht at Monaco and puffing on my third Montecristo of the day, I'd buy the 1Z with pocket change and a few more for stocking stuffers for all my friends at Christmas. But in this life, it's never gonna be in my budget. I'm not doing badly and I do wear a Rolex, but the 1Z is too rich for my blood LOL.

But the 1A vs. the zx300 ... that's worth discussing, as I feel the 1A and zx300 each have their pros/cons.

Apr 14, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #1,497 of 9,645
The Z1R never fails to impress. Out of the Holo Spring L3 Kitsune and Moon 430 HA it sounds simply fantastic.

Apr 14, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #1,498 of 9,645
If I were lounging on my yacht at Monaco and puffing on my third Montecristo of the day, I'd buy the 1Z with pocket change and a few more for stocking stuffers for all my friends at Christmas. But in this life, it's never gonna be in my budget. I'm not doing badly and I do wear a Rolex, but the 1Z is too rich for my blood LOL.

But the 1A vs. the zx300 ... that's worth discussing, as I feel the 1A and zx300 each have their pros/cons.

They do both have pros and cons. Somehow I thought the zx300 sounded warmer, but if size is the issue then the zx300 also wins. But for me I just felt the 1A sounded better, and I kinda thought that since the zx300 is new they are less likely to negotiate. Then when you compare the post negotiation price on the 1A it’s closer in margin to the zx300, so for me it was the choice. Also I didn’t like the fact that the DAC on the zx300 still has delay issues which means no movies only music. But if someone really needed a computer DAC the zx300 sound is great for the money, best Iv’e heard for the money, but I’m no expert in all the DAPs around......I have only heard a few.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #1,500 of 9,645
Wow, just wanted to drop by after my previous 'bad' feedback that I've just had the opportunity to finally get what is the Z1R is all about!.

Not sure what happened and why it toke me awhile to understand the sound quality, and, even with not a matched amp and only 320k mp3 file, the magic finally reveled :).
I must say they are so different then anything heard so far and probably what i needed is a time to get used and adjust my ears to their nature.

They are amazingly detailed and fun, making you want to stay and listen more and more. Needs a better AMP & Cables now :) (will the search for better ever ends?)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back