Sony Xperia Z3 Audio Quality
Dec 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #61 of 655
How does HTC One compare to Z3 in audio quality ? I wonder

I don't know as i don't have the z3. I did have a z1c as already mentioned and the htc is superior in both quality and volume. Volume was easy to differentiate with the htc considerably louder, quality less so.

I'm almost certain the hardware is perfectly capable and Sony are just throttling the output in software. That's why I'm eager for someone to confirm the mixer_paths.xml tweak

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #62 of 655
Dec 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #63 of 655
I don't know as i don't have the z3. I did have a z1c as already mentioned and the htc is superior in both quality and volume. Volume was easy to differentiate with the htc considerably louder, quality less so.

I'm almost certain the hardware is perfectly capable and Sony are just throttling the output in software. That's why I'm eager for someone to confirm the mixer_paths.xml tweak

I can confirm it (max setting is 20, standard it's 15). I used it on my z1. At max it blows ears off with some headsets (low impedance ones). On the z3 it s set to 14, and sounds louder than the z1 standard 15 setting. Am awaiting for a z3 root option that doesn't touch the bootloader to unlock the volume limit.

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #64 of 655
Dec 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #65 of 655
Thank you Ben. I see TFA9890 is dac, I can sample up to 24/48khz on each and it can be used in a series for the second one, which combined to 96khz. I also believe the circuitry design does make a bit of a different too. I love my Z3 with FLACC... I will be farming hunting for true HD tracks later on. Probably rip it from blu-ray videos. Also I am sure TFA9890 is what helping the Z3 to be this good. Also Z2 had only 1 TFA9890. I think this was why the engineer at Sony said Z2 was capable, but lack the converter for true high-res audio, where as the Z3 is built in. While sony said high resolution, which is 24/192khz or above...well the only thing capable here is wcd9320...Probably why they incorporated it on the board as well.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #67 of 655
Look closely, there are 2 TFA9890 and they are further across the board. They are highlighted in blue. Also as Ben said, these are highly capable, as they can boost their supplied voltage internally by itself from 3,5v to 9.3 volts, which results in a capable 7w output. So I am sure once these are rooted, they will blow ears off for real.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #68 of 655
My bad, I expected to see two square of the same color to highlight them on the board since they are the same chip, now i can see both of them 
ph34r.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #69 of 655
Lol don't worry about that. It happened to me when I did my research on the Z3. Here is the thing, Nexus 6 also has two 9890 and Jon the same outlay on the board...but it has better hardware with 805 snapdragon and probably WDC9330 instead of z3 801 snapdragon and wcd9320....I do wonder how nexus 6 sound like

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #70 of 655
Can I confirm and apologise for any repeat here...does the Z3 Compact have the same sound SQ and components as the standard Z3 please?
Its my target on radar to replace my Samsung Omnia 7 I8700 that needs to be retired.

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #74 of 655
Well, and yet, many still claim to be audiophile and professional, saying the ip6 sounds better. To me it doesn't, and the z3 is better one everywhere music performance wise. Except loud speaker and volume output. Probably is to each of their own. I know for the fact that I am no Apple fan boy, and I had been loving iPhone to the 5s. But 6 is not that revolutionary anymore. However android is making it way to be innovative. Apple better watch out.

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #75 of 655

Good to know. It(Z3 compact) sounds awesome with my EX450 in ear. iP6 is no match as I tried quickly. Only INXS(FLAC) for now. Tomorrow I'll try bass based music.

P.S. it's loud enough for my needs :)

I found the bass extension on the iPhone 6 plus better defined and going deeper than the Z3 sorry...
Dynamics are also more powerful on the 6 plus than on the Z3. I also had less sibilance on iOS devices...
This is tested playing both wave and FLAC files using various music player app e.g. Neutron (Android + iOS), Poweramp (Android), Onkyo HF Player (Android + iOS), Accudio Pro (iOS) and Ampiflac HD (iOS) from the headphones ouput with my ears and Westone UMPro50 with custom cable. 

Well, and yet, many still claim to be audiophile and professional, saying the ip6 sounds better. To me it doesn't, and the z3 is better one everywhere music performance wise. Except loud speaker and volume output. Probably is to each of their own. I know for the fact that I am no Apple fan boy, and I had been loving iPhone to the 5s. But 6 is not that revolutionary anymore. However android is making it way to be innovative. Apple better watch out.

I have been using Android phones since the first Galaxy Tab and I work as an audio professional in the broadcast industry. 
I's say with my ears and experience the iPhone 6 plus gives me more listening pleasure than the iPhone 6 which in its turn gives me more listening pleasure than the Z3.
Interpret this anyway you like 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back