Sony Xperia Z3 Audio Quality
Nov 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #16 of 655
Im also interested with the Z3 and if ever Im planning on using it with my home system via the USB-OTG port.
Any detailed reviews about the sound quality using DSD or FLAC files will be greatly appreciated.

My idea will be like this:

Z3 => Maverick Audio Tube DAC (via USB-OTG) => Pre-amp => Tube Amp => Speakers.

as I mentioned above I can't speak for how it sounds with a DAC (yet). However, without a DAC DSD and FLAC both sound very very good, certainly much better than my Nexus 5 when using B&W P7s.

the what HiFi review also really like the sound and it gave the z3 a joint product of the Year award with the iPhone 6.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #17 of 655
I hear Creative is having some good DAC Blaster E5.  Sony does has some high-end portable DAC in the range of $500-1000.  JVC and Audio Technica do have them as well.  I can't wait to see if anyone is going to test them out with the Z3

Also the IM70 sounds so natural that only until now, I can tell the differences between different drums and beats.  It truly has brought me onto another different level and plane of musical enjoyment.  I am sorry if I exaggerate it a bit.  This is the best pair of in ear I have ever heard sub 300.  I dont know about the thousand dollars one....more likely never.  But I can only imagine those will probably be a bit better than this as from 10 to 8 or so to my ears.  This will stop me from hunting for my earphones for a while for sure.

Next, I want to hear about CKR10.  Does anyone have a chance to listen to it yet ? High-res audio IE

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #23 of 655
Z3 is just a touch newer I think but you can get the M8 for cheaper (depending where you live ~200AUD for me). So hardware wise, Z3 should more or less slightly beat HTC in almost all category in hardware. 

Here's a comparison chart. I think either should be good for music. Not sure about how they compare to one another but M8 seems to be more endorsed out there (for sound) and the complaints about Z3 is volume.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #24 of 655
  Z3 is just a touch newer I think but you can get the M8 for cheaper (depending where you live ~200AUD for me). So hardware wise, Z3 should more or less slightly beat HTC in almost all category in hardware. 

Here's a comparison chart. I think either should be good for music. Not sure about how they compare to one another but M8 seems to be more endorsed out there (for sound) and the complaints about Z3 is volume.

Totally agreed about the hardware and Z3 volume wise.  But, it is really hard to beat the quality music from FLAC on the Z3.  Even though all my sources are 44khz and 16 bits, but I doubt the M8 is better....because the Iphone 6 can't even beat the Z3 with it's new Cirrus Logic.  Though, I never heard M8 quality, but I still think the one that comes close to it would be the LG G3

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #25 of 655
  Totally agreed about the hardware and Z3 volume wise.  But, it is really hard to beat the quality music from FLAC on the Z3.  Even though all my sources are 44khz and 16 bits, but I doubt the M8 is better....because the Iphone 6 can't even beat the Z3 with it's new Cirrus Logic.  Though, I never heard M8 quality, but I still think the one that comes close to it would be the LG G3

I just wish Sony will throw out an audiophile grade smartphone without all the water proof gimmicky stuff.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #26 of 655
  I just wish Sony will throw out an audiophile grade smartphone without all the water proof gimmicky stuff.

I think the next coming Z4 will have a dedicated DAC + Amp for Audiophile together with high-end hardware.  I hear somewhere that the engineer team from Sony could not build the Smaster amp into the Z3 as it was still on KitKat which has no options for the 24/192khz.  The Lolipop though will permit it.  They also had the issue with the "heat" and "battery drain" from the phone.  They already have it solved, and the next Z4 is supposed to end their 6 months cycle. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #27 of 655
  I think the next coming Z4 will have a dedicated DAC + Amp for Audiophile together with high-end hardware.  I hear somewhere that the engineer team from Sony could not build the Smaster amp into the Z3 as it was still on KitKat which has no options for the 24/192khz.  The Lolipop though will permit it.  They also had the issue with the "heat" and "battery drain" from the phone.  They already have it solved, and the next Z4 is supposed to end their 6 months cycle. 

Yeah and it's going to cost fantabulous I bet.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #29 of 655
  Well, some observations already said it could cost upward of 1000+ Usd...but, who knows.  If it is really that good, I will go all in.  After all, the Iphone is already somewhere of that price.  Don't you agree ?

iPhone is mostly just a machine of marketing. It has it's good side but much of it's costs is to cover up for their marketing. I'm always leery of spending that much on a phone, but if it does indeed perform and sound as good as say A&K120 II or something then sure. I'll agree when it proves itself to be worth the cost.

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #30 of 655
I am wondering, how would the Z3 benefit from an external portable amp like the Fiio e11k (kilimanjaro 2). Thing is, the volume problem would obviously be solved (and the bass probably with the discrete bass boost), but the fiio e11k, like most non-super-expensive amps only amps up frequencies between 20hz-20khz, which is obviously lower than what both the z3 can output, and my Sony MDR-1R headphones can. Does this mean that the extra fequencies my headphone can produce (3hz-80khz) will be lost, or will still be there but not as predominant as the 20hz-20khz range that the Fiio amplifies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back