Sony Xperia Z3 Audio Quality
Dec 2, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #31 of 655
i just bought my z3 a few days ago, and i've been using it with my VSonic GR07, and i'm disappointed... Very low volume. What can i do to improve the sound quality? My only option is to buy a external DAC?

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #32 of 655
  i just bought my z3 a few days ago, and i've been using it with my VSonic GR07, and i'm disappointed... Very low volume. What can i do to improve the sound quality? My only option is to buy a external DAC?

Are you talking about "Sound quality" or "Quantity" ?  Z3 weakness = Super low "Output".  I checked out GR70, and their impedance is high.  I found out if you are using Z3 as a direct source, use any headphones with lower Impedance....I recommend anything below 16 ohms.

ATH-IM70 is wonderful with the Z3, at max crank, you can be deafen within hours of listening to it.  Very very loud.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #33 of 655
  Are you talking about "Sound quality" or "Quantity" ?  Z3 weakness = Super low "Output".  I checked out GR70, and their impedance is high.  I found out if you are using Z3 as a direct source, use any headphones with lower Impedance....I recommend anything below 16 ohms.

ATH-IM70 is wonderful with the Z3, at max crank, you can be deafen within hours of listening to it.  Very very loud.

Well, i cant really talk about "quality" because of the lack of "quantity", so i guess you are right. But i dont really want to switch my headphones, what can i do to solve my impedance problem?

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #34 of 655

Well, i cant really talk about "quality" because of the lack of "quantity", so i guess you are right. But i dont really want to switch my headphones, what can i do to solve my impedance problem?

Well then purchase an DAC...but if I was to use any DAC with my phones, which I never will for portability, I would buy the Iphone.  Why ? Iphone is good, and better, easier to use, better security, brand name....etc. LOL.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #35 of 655

Yeah I suppose the GR07 aren't the best portable headphones around. Though it's just sad that the Z3 isn't able to power them despite many other devices out there having little trouble doing so. Especially with a phone that comes with dedicated features to just playing music.

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #36 of 655
  Well then purchase an DAC...but if I was to use any DAC with my phones, which I never will for portability, I would buy the Iphone.  Why ? Iphone is good, and better, easier to use, better security, brand name....etc. LOL.

well, since this forum is about audio and not about phones, i won't argue your iphone comment , but thank you for the advice.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #37 of 655
There's a common misunderstanding regarding Xperia devices in general being able to power devices. They're just as capable of POWERING headphones as any other smartphone, the problem is that Sony are Ear Damage crazy and set a limit. In order to unlock the limit, you simply need to Root your device and edit a file. I did it on my old Xperia Z1 (back then i had an MDR 1R headset), and it turned out to be at least 10% louder than my friend's iphone 5s.

Currently, I own a Z3. The advantage of the Z3 is that it uses 2 dedicated DAC chips, not the Qualcomm one, like most android phones do. These are magnificent DACs that output great High Res capability. I now own the MDR 1A headset (improved MDR 1R) and it sounds amazing. When I listened to the same music on the Iphone 6 Plus (non high res, it's not capable of playing 24 bit flac files), though at max volume (didn't root my Z3 yet) the iphone 6 was about 15% louder, there was a lot of detail I was missing, and the soundstage was tiny compared to what the Z3 did with the same files.

By the way, anyone interested in a Sony MDR-1R Dynamat-modded headset (in EU) ? 

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #38 of 655
  There's a common misunderstanding regarding Xperia devices in general being able to power devices. They're just as capable of POWERING headphones as any other smartphone, the problem is that Sony are Ear Damage crazy and set a limit. In order to unlock the limit, you simply need to Root your device and edit a file. I did it on my old Xperia Z1 (back then i had an MDR 1R headset), and it turned out to be at least 10% louder than my friend's iphone 5s.

Currently, I own a Z3. The advantage of the Z3 is that it uses 2 dedicated DAC chips, not the Qualcomm one, like most android phones do. These are magnificent DACs that output great High Res capability. I now own the MDR 1A headset (improved MDR 1R) and it sounds amazing. When I listened to the same music on the Iphone 6 Plus (non high res, it's not capable of playing 24 bit flac files), though at max volume (didn't root my Z3 yet) the iphone 6 was about 15% louder, there was a lot of detail I was missing, and the soundstage was tiny compared to what the Z3 did with the same files.

By the way, anyone interested in a Sony MDR-1R Dynamat-modded headset (in EU) ? 

Wait here.  How can you confirm it ? I see the Z3 teardown with TFA9890 chips together with WCD9320 from Qualcomm.  Are all these 3 chips working together ? If they are, it will explains how the Z3 sounds so great compare to Note4 and Iphone 6.  Please let me know further.  I am very curious about the Z3, and what makes it sound this good.  I also see Nexus 6 has similar chips set: WCD9320 and 2x TFA9890.   Ipad Air 2 also uses 2 Amplifier chips, but they power the Loud Speakers only.  As the result, I hear the Ipad Air 2 plays Loud music so well, that I was drooling if Apple really could have circuit it to work with Headphone out.

This is why I wonder, does the TFA9890 only power the Loudspeakers ? or the headphone out as well ? 

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #39 of 655
I don't know what I have done different to have this Stock Z3 just sound this Awesome and so so Wonderful. I can't keep having great feeling about the Z3 ability to play back FLAC files.  I also don't know how some of you keep saying the Iphone 6 and 6 Plus are better.  They don't sound horrible, they do have great and loud output...but compare to the "quality" the Z3 is playing ? Nah....The Z3 is just so good.

May be it is my ears, and the genre of music that make the different, but I have never enjoy music this way with any other "Smart Phones"  Including those previous Iphones....etc.  The only thing I enjoyed this much with musics was 13 years ago with my CD Walkman player.

Yupe, Sony listened, and has released something, which is capable of bringing back the music enjoyment of the Legendary Walkman, together with the Smart features of the phone.  All in a portable package.

I am never a fan boy of anything, I am a purist.  I enjoy what is best available.

There ain't nothing to replace my Z3 now.....I may as well worship it...LOL!!! I can't wait to see what Sony will bring to the Z4 and Z4 Ultra.  But this ? just so so good.

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #40 of 655
I don't know what powers the loudspeakers (probably the qualcomm chip), but the headphones are powered by the two TFA9890. Together, they are able to not only decipher files up to 24 bit FLACs (proper High Res, aka above CD quality, unlike most smart devices which will only playback 16 bit FLAC files, aka CD quality), but with no hicups, clear separated sound, and frequencies from 3hz up to 96khz, which is amazing. I don't want to get in the debate of our human hearing, which is much less than that, but the point is because of it's wide frequency range, the "steps" between each frequency are much denser (if shown on a graph), which translates into clear sound, with distinct sounds that don't overrun each other, and more importantly superb sub bass, which is rare. All this, of course, provided you have some very good headphones, like the superb MDR 1A which I can confirm sounds amazing, significantly better than the old MDR 1R, but also with select Sennheiser, AKG, and other brands specialized in headphones. If you use it with Beats or the like, the effect of the TFA9890 dac/amp chip won't be significantly different than playing it on other devices, like the new iPhones, which unfortunately are not able to decode high res audio.

What the Z3 also has that no other phone has, is DSEE HX. This is a technolgy which upscales lower res, even mp3 files, to near high res, by intelligently filling up missing frequencies (similar to wha the X reality engine does on 4k sony TVs, which is the best full HD - 4k up-scaling technology). Many say this is a gimmick and they can't "see" how it can make a difference. Anyone who says that, obviously never tired it out, either on the Z3 or other Sony audio components. When listening even to 320 kbs Mp3, the difference in clarity, detail and soundstage is HUGE between setting it on and off. I suspect the TFA9890 (actually i'm fairly sure) helps out a lot in this process. The difference can not only be clearly heard, especially on high res headphones, but it does seem to affect the battery a bit as well, speeding up the battery drainage while listening to music with the setting on by about 10%. This is a clear indicator that there is some pretty intense hardware working (probably the CPU + DAC) to fill up those frequencies.

In short, I can tall you this, out of my experience:

Before my current setup, I had a z1 (non high res, standard Qualcomm DAC doing all the work) + MDR 1R. It sounded good, of course, but I eventually got a Fiio e11k in order to bump up the volume and lacking bass. Now, that I got the Z3 and the new MDR 1As the differences are as follows:

-The Z3 even with the MDR 1R sounds SIGNIFICANTLY clearer and better in every aspect (with the same audio files) than on the Z1. This clearly has to do with the new DAC inside. Lower quality FLAC and MP3 files, when setting the DSEE HX on, also sound like they're properly better quality files, with much MUCH more detail.
-The Z3 + MDR 1R sounds better even in the bass department, and there's a volume bump of about 10-15% over what the Z1 could deliver with this setup
-The Z3 + MDR 1R + Fiio E11k is no longer viable. While the Fiio amp helped with the Z1, with the new chips inside the Z3, it actually kind of destroys the sound, making it sound louder (obviously, being an amp) but much more muddier and less crisp.
-The Z3 + MDR 1A seems like the perfect portable audio combination on the market (excluding high end audio players, i'm talking about any smartphone + ipods). The overall sound and especially the bass on the MDR 1A sounds better than the MDR 1R. It also sounds quite a bit louder, being a lower impedance headset (24 ohm vs 48 ohm for the 1R). The Fiio E11k is already up for sale as it's become useless.

Basicallly, yes, the Z3 is without a doubt the best smartphone on the market for audio playback. I have tested it DIRECTLY with an iPhone 6 plus, and the difference is quite significant. But being basically a high end, high res audio player, you can only see it's true color with really good headphones. So if you're into audio, and chances are even if you're not and are going to buy a Z3, you will get into good quality audio, you MUST invest about 300$ on a good set of headphones. Besides the MDR 1A, I would recomend some AKG K550, JBL Synchros S700, JVC HA SZ2000, Sennheiser HD7 DJ, Audio Technica ES700, Sony MDR-1R, among others. If you have upwards of 1000$ to spend, the only headset recommended for mobile devices at that price range would be the Denon AH D7100 (i believe it's more than 1000$ actually, maybe 1300$). Those are all over the ear headsets. There are quite a few in ear high res headphones from the same companies as well, but I'm not that much into them, so I don't know what to recommend (I only use in ear at the gym, the Sony MH1c which were privided with my Z1, very good 70 dollar headphones, but in no way high end).

On last thing, regarding volume. As I said in a previous post, ALL sony portable devices (xperias included) are set with pretty restrictive volume limitations. That's why if you compare a Sony Xperia Z3 volume output with an iPhone's, for example, it will sound quieter. So what you hear out of your Z3 when setting it at the max volume, is actually about 60-70% of what the internal amp is capable of. Now, with some headsets that's no issue. With the MDR 1As, when set at the max, it right at the maximum limit of what I would be comfortable with when listening no more than an hour, however with others, like the MDR 1R or AKG K550 (which I tested), the volume is lacking at the max setting, due mostly to higher impedance. The only way to get rid of this limit is by rooting the phone. I've tested this method on both the Z1 and Z3 (though I de-rooted the Z3 and am waiting for a rooting method that doesn't unlock my bootloader, if you're into that kind of thing, you'd understand), and when editing a specific file (which I will get into detail only per request), the volume boost is properly significant, on the Z3 making it sound quite louder than even the iPhone 6 plus, which probably has the highest standard max volume setting. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #41 of 655
Thank you benkatz. It makes senses the TFA9890s are powering the headphones. And if this is true, a root, and some editing can blow people ears off, as TFA9890 are the loudest mobile amps at the moment. I am also surprised these TFA9890 sound this great. I never heard of their name or company...beside Wolfson, Cirrus....etc. It also makes sense that the loud speakers are powered by Qualcomm chip...as it is very disgusting.

I am also glad that my ears and hearings are not that damaged....or bad. Because people keep throwing at me how bad Z3 is compare to Iphone6. While I don't have expensive headphones, but IM70 is an awesome phones. I clearly hear the differences, and nothing is missing out of the song...where as Iphone6 etc....are all sounded pretty mushy....and irritate me.

I have had iPhones for a while, so as iPad of the previous generations....even iPod, and without any dedicated external DAC, I could never enjoy music the way I did with CD Walkman. So I was seeking, and seeking. Now, finally, here it is.

As I got confirmations from you, and myself, I will leave it here. If someone found it valuable, and buy the Z3, great, you are in for a portable source without the need of an DAC. If you keep saying z3 is bad, you either have not a good headsets, or don't have the z3 to experience on.

I also wonder about nexus 6. It also has two 9890 chips.

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #42 of 655

always thought that the TFA9890's by the Dutch company NXP were designed to power micro speakers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaUtrpALyi8

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #43 of 655
Yeah. I also thought it would just power the loud speakers. But note 4 with WDC9330 the next generation DAC from Qualcomm couldn't do as well. It must be these guys to bring the differences. I also Googled the pricing on them...turned out they have different versions as well, but they are pricey...must be another reason why Nexus 6 is so expensive.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #44 of 655
  I don't know what powers the loudspeakers (probably the qualcomm chip), but the headphones are powered by the two TFA9890. Together, they are able to not only decipher files up to 24 bit FLACs (proper High Res, aka above CD quality, unlike most smart devices which will only playback 16 bit FLAC files, aka CD quality), but with no hicups, clear separated sound, and frequencies from 3hz up to 96khz, which is amazing. I don't want to get in the debate of our human hearing, which is much less than that, but the point is because of it's wide frequency range, the "steps" between each frequency are much denser (if shown on a graph), which translates into clear sound, with distinct sounds that don't overrun each other, and more importantly superb sub bass, which is rare. All this, of course, provided you have some very good headphones, like the superb MDR 1A which I can confirm sounds amazing, significantly better than the old MDR 1R, but also with select Sennheiser, AKG, and other brands specialized in headphones. If you use it with Beats or the like, the effect of the TFA9890 dac/amp chip won't be significantly different than playing it on other devices, like the new iPhones, which unfortunately are not able to decode high res audio.

What the Z3 also has that no other phone has, is DSEE HX. This is a technolgy which upscales lower res, even mp3 files, to near high res, by intelligently filling up missing frequencies (similar to wha the X reality engine does on 4k sony TVs, which is the best full HD - 4k up-scaling technology). Many say this is a gimmick and they can't "see" how it can make a difference. Anyone who says that, obviously never tired it out, either on the Z3 or other Sony audio components. When listening even to 320 kbs Mp3, the difference in clarity, detail and soundstage is HUGE between setting it on and off. I suspect the TFA9890 (actually i'm fairly sure) helps out a lot in this process. The difference can not only be clearly heard, especially on high res headphones, but it does seem to affect the battery a bit as well, speeding up the battery drainage while listening to music with the setting on by about 10%. This is a clear indicator that there is some pretty intense hardware working (probably the CPU + DAC) to fill up those frequencies.

In short, I can tall you this, out of my experience:

Before my current setup, I had a z1 (non high res, standard Qualcomm DAC doing all the work) + MDR 1R. It sounded good, of course, but I eventually got a Fiio e11k in order to bump up the volume and lacking bass. Now, that I got the Z3 and the new MDR 1As the differences are as follows:

-The Z3 even with the MDR 1R sounds SIGNIFICANTLY clearer and better in every aspect (with the same audio files) than on the Z1. This clearly has to do with the new DAC inside. Lower quality FLAC and MP3 files, when setting the DSEE HX on, also sound like they're properly better quality files, with much MUCH more detail.
-The Z3 + MDR 1R sounds better even in the bass department, and there's a volume bump of about 10-15% over what the Z1 could deliver with this setup
-The Z3 + MDR 1R + Fiio E11k is no longer viable. While the Fiio amp helped with the Z1, with the new chips inside the Z3, it actually kind of destroys the sound, making it sound louder (obviously, being an amp) but much more muddier and less crisp.
-The Z3 + MDR 1A seems like the perfect portable audio combination on the market (excluding high end audio players, i'm talking about any smartphone + ipods). The overall sound and especially the bass on the MDR 1A sounds better than the MDR 1R. It also sounds quite a bit louder, being a lower impedance headset (24 ohm vs 48 ohm for the 1R). The Fiio E11k is already up for sale as it's become useless.

Basicallly, yes, the Z3 is without a doubt the best smartphone on the market for audio playback. I have tested it DIRECTLY with an iPhone 6 plus, and the difference is quite significant. But being basically a high end, high res audio player, you can only see it's true color with really good headphones. So if you're into audio, and chances are even if you're not and are going to buy a Z3, you will get into good quality audio, you MUST invest about 300$ on a good set of headphones. Besides the MDR 1A, I would recomend some AKG K550, JBL Synchros S700, JVC HA SZ2000, Sennheiser HD7 DJ, Audio Technica ES700, Sony MDR-1R, among others. If you have upwards of 1000$ to spend, the only headset recommended for mobile devices at that price range would be the Denon AH D7100 (i believe it's more than 1000$ actually, maybe 1300$). Those are all over the ear headsets. There are quite a few in ear high res headphones from the same companies as well, but I'm not that much into them, so I don't know what to recommend (I only use in ear at the gym, the Sony MH1c which were privided with my Z1, very good 70 dollar headphones, but in no way high end).

On last thing, regarding volume. As I said in a previous post, ALL sony portable devices (xperias included) are set with pretty restrictive volume limitations. That's why if you compare a Sony Xperia Z3 volume output with an iPhone's, for example, it will sound quieter. So what you hear out of your Z3 when setting it at the max volume, is actually about 60-70% of what the internal amp is capable of. Now, with some headsets that's no issue. With the MDR 1As, when set at the max, it right at the maximum limit of what I would be comfortable with when listening no more than an hour, however with others, like the MDR 1R or AKG K550 (which I tested), the volume is lacking at the max setting, due mostly to higher impedance. The only way to get rid of this limit is by rooting the phone. I've tested this method on both the Z1 and Z3 (though I de-rooted the Z3 and am waiting for a rooting method that doesn't unlock my bootloader, if you're into that kind of thing, you'd understand), and when editing a specific file (which I will get into detail only per request), the volume boost is properly significant, on the Z3 making it sound quite louder than even the iPhone 6 plus, which probably has the highest standard max volume setting. 

Thanks for all the the detailed information.

I just wanted to confirm that there shouldn't be any audio quality different between the regular Z3 and the Z3 Compact as they have identical sound-relevant hardware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back