Sony Xperia Z3 Audio Quality
Oct 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 655

Whitigir

Member of the Trade: Portable Modder
I have an unlocked Z2, and I didn't think I would upgrade to a Z3 so soon. But I just did. In fact, this is just a research of what gave me this decision.

1/ Z3 with only a little bit better specs in hardware, also slimmer, lighter, longer lasting battery
2/ Z3 now can play High-Res audio. You can call it "HD-Audio"

Now, my question was, how could Sony claim it ? Was it just a Software to color the music ? the Equalizer of some short ? I did a lot of research, and I was lucky that I found my answers.

From Sony "Z2 had the capability to play HD audio, but you will need a converter, where as the Z3 has it built in, as long as you have an HD head sets, then you can listen to your HD Music"

1/ Z3 use WCD9320 Audio Codec which is Qualcomm
2/ Z3 also use TFA9890 (2x) chips. Now, this is an DAC amp with each single one can sample the music rating at 8-48kHz. Two of these brings the Z3 to be able to sample up to 96kHz.

So how is this different from the other Android phones and or Iphone 6 ?

I am not a nerd with full knowledge of Music Technologies, but what I do get is

"It is a Phone together with a Portable Amp.....?" It may not be the S-Master chipset, but this is just already too good

Yeah, and that was the deciding factor for me to went ahead and made my purchase. Any other phones may claim to be able to play HD audio, but non of them have these good built-in AMP!! Z3 also has the software to restore loss bits from MP3 songs >.< Don't know how it work....:p

Xperia Z3 tear down picture can be found here
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z3-gets-disassembled-has-modular-component-layout-is-easy-to-repair_id61323

TFA9890 DAC chip can be found here
http://www.nxp.com/documents/short_data_sheet/TFA9890_SDS.pdf

I will update as soon as my Z3 arrived. :D

I didn't know where to post this, and I research about headphones a lot in this section. I thought I would post it here for whoever is curious about the Xperia Z3 Audio Quality.

Please feel free to fix my mistakes as if I misunderstood any of the new technologies. Thank you:D

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 655
Now I just got the phone in my hand. So far what I have learnt is every Z3 even with different model D6653 or D6633...etc only uses different radio bands software. You can always flag it to use different bands. I bought D6633 Dual Sim model, which works with ATT and Tmobile in the US. The D6603 will too, as it is International version.

Audio quality

Volumes. I guess every one will care about the phone volume first. It is the same, similar to the Z2.

Loud Speakers, it sounds better with more bass and clear highs.....I don't ever enjoy loud speaker, so I will not get in details.

Head phones. I use it directly with MDREX-100 headphone, and it sound brilliant high, fast low, clean mid, and instrumental separations are very clear. It emphasizes the mid and the high more, so it leaves me the first impression of...."oh...not enough bass" But when I listen closely, it is def there, it is not overwhelming as the Z1 or Z2.

The DSEE HX will upscale every music files. There will be differences, but not much, the more differences will be heard more clear if you have "Lossless" files, and or 320 kbs MP3. Otherwise, you will not notice it. I think this is more like you are asking the Phone to Utilize both 9890 chips to sample the music, otherwise it will only use one.

Conclusion, Z3 is only 10% faster than Z2....or I might have imagined it in general. But in music, Z3 is a big leap away from Z2. Def worth the upgrade. Coming from the Z2 to Z3 on FLAC music, I say it is like comparing a cheap stereo system with a sub-woofer to a higher end stereo system. One is full bass and highs, but not enough details, and the other one is detailed low, full mid, detailed high. Dont know how I can put it better.

Notice, if you only use headphones and are a Bass-head. Watch out, as the Z3 play clearer and fuller music, the bass will be suppressed much more than the Z1 or Z2. You will be disappointed. But if you are the people who love details in music, def buy the Z3...I love it

Those were using Walkman app.

Now onto Power Amp....oh my ghost....Bass...Details...Highs....everything you ask for......Def go grab one Z3 ASAP if you are an Audiophile who want to listen to HD songs without external Amp :p

oh Wow...the musicFX in Power Amp even allow to use equalizer bands from the Walkman app too...both of them combined are just amazing ...That means you can also use Clear Bass while using Power amp...!

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 655
Cool review!

Can you tell me:

1. How's the battery life with DSEE HX constantly on?

2. Will you say the differences DSEE HX/Hi-Res audio make on flac/Ape etc are very noticeable?

3. Do you notice the Z3 produces any kinds of hiss/noise while listening lossless files through headphone/in-earphone?

Oct 12, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 655
Hi,

1) Battery life is about 1.5 day.

2) Dunno ... have not tried it yet.

3) No hiss sound - FLAC sampled on 24bit/ 96khz - Using a slightly coloured B&W P7 (using the sony walkman app - however when I use the winamp or Neutron app I do hear the hiss sound)

Xperia Z3 model 6603 (ROM Generic Global) - Android 4.4.4 build 23.0.A.2.93

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 655
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z3-review-1140p7.php

For a company like Sony, I expected a lot more.. measurements from GSM are terrible in comparison to many of the other flagships.. 

I never bothered to read before but the M8 trumps it in pretty much every single test!! I was considering the change but after reading this I don't know if I should - looks like the audio quality will be worse lol

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 655
Audio quality

Volumes. I guess every one will care about the phone volume first. It is the same, similar to the Z2.

Loud Speakers, it sounds better with more bass and clear highs.....I don't ever enjoy loud speaker, so I will not get in details.
The DSEE HX will upscale every music files. There will be differences, but not much, the more differences will be heard more clear if you have "Lossless" files, and or 320 kbs MP3. Otherwise, you will not notice it. I think this is more like you are asking the Phone to Utilize both 9890 chips to sample the music, otherwise it will only use one.

Heh, never quite get why anyone would care about a smart phone with great audiophile grade loud speakers since it will always be a compromise to a dedicated audio system. As long as it delivers adequate clarity for receiving calls is good enough in my opinion since it won't ever be as good as your home set up - lack of soundstage and terrible on battery drain and lets face it, as a portable media, generally a nuisance in public space. Provide the phone with a Y-split adapter then we're talking.

I'm actually surprised that you say that there's more difference with lossless files. I'm looking for a new phone soon and is considering the Z3 because the upsampling might allow for better quality audio on compressed files. The Walkman App, added dust and water resistant rating are added bonus.

But if it only works better with loessless then I might well just give this a miss then, since the whole advantage of carrying compact files (which I do) on a portable media is lost. I've been constantly disappointed by a plethora of Sony devices - from consoles to e-readers I actually have a stick it note on my desktop saying "Don't buy Sony ever again!!" Sad that they aren't opening up their headphone presets to third parties so anyone can upload and share their presets either. Very typical Sony to only ever provide support for their own line of products and their on-going scorn for homebrewers.

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 655
The Z3 headphones output is still very low. It is the same as Z1-2. It is about 2/3 of the ipod/ipad/iphone power. As long as you have a high sensitivity and low imp headphones, you will enjoy it so much. I am using my ATH-IM70. The most organic sounding headphones I have owned to date. It is just beautiful...Can't say how much I love it. It can be cranked up so loud....ears piercing loud. I can only listen to 6/10 of the available volume.

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 655
I will say this: If I didn't already have a Fiio X3, I'd use this Z3 as my daily driver. My IEM of choice is the Yamaha EPH-100 and, comparing the two, the Z3 has a touch more warmth, which is not the least bit unpleasant. My X3 has more discernable detail in mids/highs, but not by any amount that'd have me reaching for it if given a choice between the two.

As a side note: The battery life on this phone is top-notch. I spent all of yesterday listening through the Z3 and it decreased to about 75% (with lots of facebook mixed in, as well as Pulp Fiction on Netflix).

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 655
Can anyone suggest a portable DAC that doesn't require a separate power source that works well with the Z3 Compact?

The HRT microStreamer does not work on the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact using the following apps:

-USB Audio Player Pro (no USB device recognized)
-Plex and Walkman (volume is set at max and unadjustible)

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #13 of 655
smile. You only need DAC when you need the music quality Together with the output boost. The Z3 has the music quality, but doesn't have the power output. You can always find low sensitivity headphones + low impedance = good. I said above, the ATH-IM70 do wonderful

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #14 of 655
smile. You only need DAC when you need the music quality Together with the output boost. The Z3 has the music quality, but doesn't have the power output. You can always find low sensitivity headphones + low impedance = good. I said above, the ATH-IM70 do wonderful

I agree the Z3 Compact sounds great and plays DSDs very well, but I'm not sure I agree with you that an external DAC wouldn't further improve sound quality on the Z3.

For example, with my laptop (MBPr) I have added the following to improve audio quality when playing DSD or any music:

1. good headphones (B&W P7s)
2. good DAC (Meridian Explorer)
3. good software (Audiravana).

All three of these have made a noticeable contribution to improving the audio quality, and unless I'm missing something adding a DAC to the Z3 should also make a difference, right?

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 655
Im also interested with the Z3 and if ever Im planning on using it with my home system via the USB-OTG port.
Any detailed reviews about the sound quality using DSD or FLAC files will be greatly appreciated.

My idea will be like this:

Z3 => Maverick Audio Tube DAC (via USB-OTG) => Pre-amp => Tube Amp => Speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back