Luminous Chrome
Deepsea Black
Bronze Pink

Display and design
5.5'' 4K HDR Display
TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile
X-Reality™ for mobile
Dynamic Contrast Enhancer
sRGB 138% spectrum compared to standard videos (SDR)
Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5 on front and back

Main camera
19MP Motion Eye™ Camera
1/2.3” Exmor RS™ for mobile memory stacked sensor
Pixel Pitch 1.22μm
Triple image sensing technology
Predictive Hybrid Autofocus
960 fps Super slow motion videos
Predictive Capture
0.5 sec Quick Launch & Capture
Anti-distortion shutter
Low-light photo: ISO 12800 / 4000 (Video)
HDR Photo
25mm wide Sony’s award-winning G Lens F2.0
x8 Digital Zoom
BIONZ™ for mobile image-processing engine
SteadyShot™ with Intelligent Active Mode (5-axis stablization)
4K recording

Front camera
13MP
1/3.06” Exmor RS™ for mobile image sensor
22mm Wide-angle lens F2.0
ISO 6400 (Photo) / 1600 (Video)
SteadyShot™ with Intelligent Active Mode (5-axis stablization)

Networks
GSM GPRS/EDGE (2G)
UMTS HSPA+ (3G)
LTE (4G) Cat16 with Gigabit-class speeds3

Connectivity
A-GNSS (GPS + GLONASS)3
WiFi Miracast
Bluetooth® 5.0 wireless technology
DLNA Certified®
Google Cast
NFC
USB 3.1 4 / USB Type-C™

Fingerprint sensor
Fast and secure unlock

Sound
High-Resolution Audio (LPCM, FLAC, ALAC, DSD)
DSEE HX™
LDAC
Digital Noise Cancelling
Clear Audio+
Stereo speaker with S-Force Front Surround
Stereo Recording

Entertainment
PS4 Remote Play

Applications
Music
Album
Video
Movie Creator
Spotify
News
What's New
Sound Photo
AR effect

Key accessories
Style Cover Stand SCSG10
Quick Charger UCH12W
Charging Dock DK60
Hi-res headset MDR-NC750
Bluetooth(R) Headset with Speaker SBH56

https://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-xz-premium/

May 29, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 24
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this smartphone.

I've generally used only HTC flagship phones in the past, but this time I've experimented with the ZTE Axon 7 android smartphone, which has good specs, but is rather buggy and frustrating to use. I also have the Sony NW-ZX2 Walkman DAP for portable use, which I love, but I'm not really using to it's fullest as I don't always like carrying multiple devices when I'm out and about.
For PC use, I'm using an RSA Intruder.

I'm considering selling both my Axon 7, and the NW-ZX2 in favour of the new Xperia-XZ-Premium for portable use, which I can then stack with my RSA Intruder DAP. Would this be wise?

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 24
I'd also like to hear some more about this phone... I do a lot of listening on the move where a decent phone/source combo would be useful. Currently tossing up between the 64GB Q-DAC LG G6 and the Xperia XZ Premium... the latter is better in the feature department (newer processor and side mount fingerprint unlock) but LG is cheaper and more of a known quantity.

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 24
I'm also interested in using Xperia phone as portable source.

Does anyone know how Xperia phones perform upsampling? (Or, do they upsample at all)? How does Sony's DSEE-HX work?

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 24
Hi, Just got my XZ premium today. I'm not a very technical type of guy, but i'm using the Kaiser encore universal stock connected to it without any amp and it's just beautiful. simply put it, the experience is like as if i was sitting down in the recording studio itself. its better than my Huawei M9P coupled with a XB10-BTHA with Laylas.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 24
I just picked up a Sony Xperia XZ Premium. As far as the audio quality I would say that it's just okay. It does have stereo speakers so that's cool but it's not very loud. It does have a 3.5mm jack and I'm happy about that because fewer phones are still including them. The jack output is not very loud but I think that it sounds good and if you use an amp then you will be golden. One thing that I do love and will always love is the Sony Walkman Music app. The sound mods like DSEE-HX are cool but I don't usually turn them on.

Jul 26, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 24
I just picked up the Xperia XZ Premium to replace my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. I'm just a casual listener, I did a comparsion between the XZ Premium and Sony Walkman (NWA26HNBM), I used Philips SHP9500 for home-use and the V-Moda Crossfade M80 for outdoors/libaries/public, a V-Moda audio only aux cord, a Pioneer FH-X720BT radio with stock 2000 Honda Accord speakers (Obviously in my car), and no amp. I used three songs; "Dreamy Pilot" by Alstroemeria Records, "砂時計" by AdamKadmon, and "Seven Songs for Seventh Saga: II. Water" by Sebastian Freij.

Just for the record, I got the American version with no finger-print scanner (I don't see a point in one), mine came with a quick charger and no headphones, but that doesn't matter because I have plenty already. As most users have said before (Well, just Roddin), listening to music on the XZ Premium does feel like you're in the recording studio itself or you're having a live band playing just for you. Music mods like DSEE-HX and Clear Audio is great on the XZ Premium, but you can only turn one of them on. Where as in the Walkman, you can turn both on. Both phone and walkman can play FLAC. After listening to both with headphones, it was a very close match, it got up to the point where I couldn't decide which one was better, but the walkman was louder and I can pick up more detail, so I went with the walkman.

The only bluetooth device I have is my Pioneer FH-X720BT radio that is hook to my 2000 Honda Accord; it's a cheap way to get an old car to be up-to-date with the modern times (aux port and bluetooth). This is where the XZ Premium sounds better with bluetooth. I swear, I never heard a music player use bluetooth and make my stock 17 year old speakers sing like that. There was no contest, the XZ Premium did a much better job with bluetooth than my walkman. However, when I used an aux cable (the V-Moda one) for my radio, the walkman is superior to my XZ Premium.

Music quality wise, I have to give it to my Sony Walkman (NWA26HNBM). It is worth noting that this is a very close contest, I had to really listen to the music in order to decide. I'd say if you don't have a music player, then get the XZ Premium. If you do have a music player, then also get the XZ Premium if you have money to spend. Do not get the XZ Premium if you can't afford it.

Other than music, I haven't had any problems with my XZ Premium yet. I've played Idolmaster Cinderella Girls: Starlight Stage on highest settings for 2 hours and it doesn't become a space heater/stove like my Xperia Z1 Compact.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 24
I have just bought the Xperia XZ Premium, to change over my Xperia Z5 Premium. It is a good phone.

TBH, on both phones, I never turned on the DSEE HX, since I travel with my amp (Bravo Audio + PSVane tube) and my travelling headphone - DT990 (250). I only turn on the Clear Audio+, and as far as I am concern, I am very happy for both phones. They are able to play HRA, not sure about DSDs, but WAV and FLAC easily. I cannot say much about the audio, but nevertheless, the camera is good, the screen is good and its quite a big leap from Z5P.

The only question i keep on having in mind, what is the difference of this phone to a dedicated HRA player? If I decided to sell this phone and get a dedicated player, will there be an upgrade on the quality of sound?

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 24
I have just bought the Xperia XZ Premium, to change over my Xperia Z5 Premium. It is a good phone.

TBH, on both phones, I never turned on the DSEE HX, since I travel with my amp (Bravo Audio + PSVane tube) and my travelling headphone - DT990 (250). I only turn on the Clear Audio+, and as far as I am concern, I am very happy for both phones. They are able to play HRA, not sure about DSDs, but WAV and FLAC easily. I cannot say much about the audio, but nevertheless, the camera is good, the screen is good and its quite a big leap from Z5P.

The only question i keep on having in mind, what is the difference of this phone to a dedicated HRA player? If I decided to sell this phone and get a dedicated player, will there be an upgrade on the quality of sound?

DSD64 can be played by both phones, DSD128 and 256 is supported natively on Snapdragon 835 used here, and i can assume it can do those too as it decodes DSD64 Natively

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 24
So what I'm understanding from reading this thread so far is that the XZ Premium sounds great on headphones, but not as great as the $300 Sony Walkmans do?? The headphone volume being lacking is what most are saying (unless you use very sensitive headphones/earphones), but here I'm more concerned with HEADPHONE audio quality. Has anyone else here compared them to an amp/DAC like the $299 Oppo HA-2 (or newer HA-2SE) or the $199 AudioQuest DragonFly Red? Do they offer the same audio quality as these current "legends" do? Bass, Mids, Treble, Clarity, Soundstage, etc? Please elaborate on your headphone audio experiences with this phone, including which headphones you used and the amp/DAC name.

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #12 of 24

Donny's post indicates the $300 Sony Walkman was a bit louder and a bit more detailed. I was hoping they would be equal on the detail, but oh well.

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 24
I just picked up the Xperia XZ Premium to replace my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. I'm just a casual listener, I did a comparsion between the XZ Premium and Sony Walkman (NWA26HNBM), I used Philips SHP9500 for home-use and the V-Moda Crossfade M80 for outdoors/libaries/public, a V-Moda audio only aux cord, a Pioneer FH-X720BT radio with stock 2000 Honda Accord speakers (Obviously in my car), and no amp. I used three songs; "Dreamy Pilot" by Alstroemeria Records, "砂時計" by AdamKadmon, and "Seven Songs for Seventh Saga: II. Water" by Sebastian Freij.

Just for the record, I got the American version with no finger-print scanner (I don't see a point in one), mine came with a quick charger and no headphones, but that doesn't matter because I have plenty already. As most users have said before (Well, just Roddin), listening to music on the XZ Premium does feel like you're in the recording studio itself or you're having a live band playing just for you. Music mods like DSEE-HX and Clear Audio is great on the XZ Premium, but you can only turn one of them on. Where as in the Walkman, you can turn both on. Both phone and walkman can play FLAC. After listening to both with headphones, it was a very close match, it got up to the point where I couldn't decide which one was better, but the walkman was louder and I can pick up more detail, so I went with the walkman.

The only bluetooth device I have is my Pioneer FH-X720BT radio that is hook to my 2000 Honda Accord; it's a cheap way to get an old car to be up-to-date with the modern times (aux port and bluetooth). This is where the XZ Premium sounds better with bluetooth. I swear, I never heard a music player use bluetooth and make my stock 17 year old speakers sing like that. There was no contest, the XZ Premium did a much better job with bluetooth than my walkman. However, when I used an aux cable (the V-Moda one) for my radio, the walkman is superior to my XZ Premium.

Music quality wise, I have to give it to my Sony Walkman (NWA26HNBM). It is worth noting that this is a very close contest, I had to really listen to the music in order to decide. I'd say if you don't have a music player, then get the XZ Premium. If you do have a music player, then also get the XZ Premium if you have money to spend. Do not get the XZ Premium if you can't afford it.

Other than music, I haven't had any problems with my XZ Premium yet. I've played Idolmaster Cinderella Girls: Starlight Stage on highest settings for 2 hours and it doesn't become a space heater/stove like my Xperia Z1 Compact.

Hey Donny,

Did you have DSEE and Clear Audio+ BOTH on for the Walkman? Or both off? Or one on (if so, which one)?

I was really hoping you'd say the detail level was the same on both, so I'm wondering if those 2 features may have POSSIBLY altered your perception on this front? Just wondering.

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 24
Hey Donny,

Did you have DSEE and Clear Audio+ BOTH on for the Walkman? Or both off? Or one on (if so, which one)?

I was really hoping you'd say the detail level was the same on both, so I'm wondering if those 2 features may have POSSIBLY altered your perception on this front? Just wondering.

Thanks!

I always have the Clear Audio thing on for my older Walkmans and my Xperia Z1 Compact and XZ Premium (IMO, once I go that route, I can't go back). However for the Walkman A26, I used both DSEE HX and Clear Audio+ because I can turn on both (unlike in the Xperia phones and older walkmans where I can only turn one of them on). So there might be a chance that those 2 features are altering my perception.

Sep 23, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 24
I always have the Clear Audio thing on for my older Walkmans and my Xperia Z1 Compact and XZ Premium (IMO, once I go that route, I can't go back). However for the Walkman A26, I used both DSEE HX and Clear Audio+ because I can turn on both (unlike in the Xperia phones and older walkmans where I can only turn one of them on). So there might be a chance that those 2 features are altering my perception.

Ok. Thanks for elaborating further!

My experience with Clear Audio+ was never good, whether I used it on any of my 2 previous Xperia phones, or my old Walkman A17. To me it just seems to kill the clarity of the music. DSEE HX I did use, but that only works when you're listening to mp3s. Over the last few years, I've been slowly building a pretty respectable collection of both Hi-Res and CD-Quality music, which don't benefit from it. Although, I do downsample my songs to AAC, which is still lossy, but I don't use DSEE HX anymore anyway. DSEE HX I'm ok with I guess but prob won't ever use it, but yeah Clear Audio+ I dunno. lol

It would be very interesting if you were to compare the quality of your XZ Premium to your Walkman A26 WITHOUT DSEE HX or Clear Audio+ being in the mix. If you were ever to do that, I would love to read about it and see if the exclusion of them both did anything to make the XZP sound better (or worse) vs. the Walkman A26, but that's up to you. I saw the XZP in person at a Best Buy near me a week or so ago and was FLOORED by how incredible the phone looks, both the screen and the backside. Arguably the best looking Xperia phone yet (I had the Z3 and X Performance)! My 3 reasons for NOT upgrading to it though from my current HTC 10 are: 1) Size........not a phablet fan lol 2) Sony Mobile did not get the XZP VoLTE-certified with T-Mobile (my carrier), so it won't be fully functional for me (AT&T doesn't require this, so it'd be fine IF I had them) and 3) I currently use my HTC 10 for headphone music listening as it is as highly-rated as the LG V20 was (IMO it was slightly better actually when I compared them both). It matched if not outdid my old $300 Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, and so I don't need an in-between device anymore. I was hoping the same thing for the XZP, but it sounds like it can't match the $300 Walkman. Oh well! lol

The XZ1 however will be the first unlocked Xperia phone ever to be VoLTE-certified with T-Mo, so at least Sony took care of that! If the audio was on par with $300 devices the way the HTC 10 is, then I'd MAYBE consider the XZP more since it wasn't THAT big I guess. The XZ1 I'd consider for sure (if the audio was better I mean, but I assume it's the same as the XZP's) since even though there's no 4K it still has HDR and even better battery life (82 hours endurance vs. 72 hours endurance of XZP, per GSM Arena, though both are considered high). The metal unibody looks cool too, plus it's not a phablet. lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back