Sony Xperia™ XZ Premium
Sep 24, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #16 of 24
It would be very interesting if you were to compare the quality of your XZ Premium to your Walkman A26 WITHOUT DSEE HX (DHX) or Clear Audio+ (CA+) being in the mix. If you were ever to do that, I would love to read about it and see if the exclusion of them both did anything to make the XZP sound better (or worse) vs. the Walkman A26, but that's up to you.

Actually I just did just that while at work while wearing my Phillips SHP9500 headphones (I always leave my equalizer on neutral). I used two songs, "長い夢" by monochrome-coat as my MP3 file and "Seven Songs for Seventh Saga: II. Water" by Sebastian Freij as my FLAC file. Here's what I got:

• Walkman A26 (No DHX and CA+) vs XZP (No DHX, CA+, and no automatic optimization) = Walkman wins
    • Note: If I leave automatic optimization off, the Walkman will always win.
  • Walkman A26 (No DHX and CA+) vs XZP (No DHX, CA+, and automatic optimization on) = XZP wins
  • Walkman A26 (With either DHX or CA+ on) vs XZP (With either DHX or CA+ on and automatic optimization on) = XZP wins
    • Note: With automatic optimization on, the XZP will always win; unless the walkman has both DHX and CA+ on.
  • Walkman A26 (With both on) vs (With either DHX or CA+ on and automatic optimization on) = Walkman wins
I have no idea what automatic optimization is (Just discovered it on in my phone), except it apparently optimizes the music with whatever headphones you're using. Despite it stating that the option is for headphones, I do find it funny that it does it to my car whenever I connect it.

Overall, I still think the Walkman is better at music. It makes sense, the smartphone is like the jack of all trades; master of none, whereas the Walkman is a one trick pony. Personally, I think you shouldn't get the XZP and go straight for that new one you said.

Just keep in mind that I'm no audiophile; I just like good headphones/mp3 players/eargasms and everyone has different opinions on sound.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #17 of 24
Actually I just did just that while at work while wearing my Phillips SHP9500 headphones (I always leave my equalizer on neutral). I used two songs, "長い夢" by monochrome-coat as my MP3 file and "Seven Songs for Seventh Saga: II. Water" by Sebastian Freij as my FLAC file. Here's what I got:

• Walkman A26 (No DHX and CA+) vs XZP (No DHX, CA+, and no automatic optimization) = Walkman wins
    • Note: If I leave automatic optimization off, the Walkman will always win.
  • Walkman A26 (No DHX and CA+) vs XZP (No DHX, CA+, and automatic optimization on) = XZP wins
  • Walkman A26 (With either DHX or CA+ on) vs XZP (With either DHX or CA+ on and automatic optimization on) = XZP wins
    • Note: With automatic optimization on, the XZP will always win; unless the walkman has both DHX and CA+ on.
  • Walkman A26 (With both on) vs (With either DHX or CA+ on and automatic optimization on) = Walkman wins
I have no idea what automatic optimization is (Just discovered it on in my phone), except it apparently optimizes the music with whatever headphones you're using. Despite it stating that the option is for headphones, I do find it funny that it does it to my car whenever I connect it.

Overall, I still think the Walkman is better at music. It makes sense, the smartphone is like the jack of all trades; master of none, whereas the Walkman is a one trick pony. Personally, I think you shouldn't get the XZP and go straight for that new one you said.

Just keep in mind that I'm no audiophile; I just like good headphones/mp3 players/eargasms and everyone has different opinions on sound.

Hey Donny,

Wow, thanks for doing this! Much appreciated!!

So ok........with all the "extras" off, but AO left enabled on the XZP, the XZP wins out?! That's awesome! I use something very similar to AO (but it's manual, not automatic) on my HTC 10 which DOES IMO improve the sound quality and volume. It's pretty cool that Sony found a way to make it automatic. So that "extra" I WOULD use if I had the XZP or XZ1.

I bet even YOU were surprised by the results eh? lol

Even though you said the Walkman would still win against XZP + AO if it has DHX & CA+ on, I still consider it a victory for the XZP since I'd never use CA+.

Now I have a tough decision to make. lol Keep my HTC 10 'til next year or get the XZ1 which DOES have a better battery life and newer processor, etc. My 10 has the 2K screen, but the XZ1 has the HDR. lol

What about volume though Donny vs. the Walkman? I know Sony's devices don't typically get AS loud as one might want them to. With AO enabled on the XZP, do you feel it gets loud enough to power your 32 ohm-rated/101 dB sensitivity-rated Philips 'phones?! That's about the same rating as my Meze 99 Classics too.

Again, thanks for the great & detailed info!!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #18 of 24
Hi,
Anyone knows how can I run this phone with an external amp on OTG mode?

FYI, Ive been running my Sony a35 on OTG with my amp, and have tried connection the same amp to the usb-c, but doesn't work. Is there anything I have to change, like setting or anything?

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #19 of 24
Hi,
Anyone knows how can I run this phone with an external amp on OTG mode?

FYI, Ive been running my Sony a35 on OTG with my amp, and have tried connection the same amp to the usb-c, but doesn't work. Is there anything I have to change, like setting or anything?
Yep, you can use a OTG external amp.

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #20 of 24
Apr 6, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #21 of 24
Jul 8, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #22 of 24
iu

Specifications

Memory and storage
4GB RAM
64GB (Single SIM)/64GB (Dual SIM) UFS internal memory1
microSDXC support (up to 256GB)

SIM capability
Single SIM
Dual SIM
Nano SIM

Operating System
Google Android™ 7.1 (Nougat)

Processor (CPU)
Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 835 processor

Battery
3230mAh
Smart Stamina
Qnovo Adaptive Charging
Battery Care
STAMINA Mode
Qualcomm® Quick Charge 3.0

Durability
Water resistant (IP65/68)2
Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5 on front and back

Weight
191g

Dimensions
156 x 77 x 7.9 mm

Colour
Luminous Chrome
Deepsea Black
Bronze Pink

Display and design
5.5'' 4K HDR Display
TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile
X-Reality™ for mobile
Dynamic Contrast Enhancer
sRGB 138% spectrum compared to standard videos (SDR)
Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5 on front and back

Main camera
19MP Motion Eye™ Camera
1/2.3” Exmor RS™ for mobile memory stacked sensor
Pixel Pitch 1.22μm
Triple image sensing technology
Predictive Hybrid Autofocus
960 fps Super slow motion videos
Predictive Capture
0.5 sec Quick Launch & Capture
Anti-distortion shutter
Low-light photo: ISO 12800 / 4000 (Video)
HDR Photo
25mm wide Sony’s award-winning G Lens F2.0
x8 Digital Zoom
BIONZ™ for mobile image-processing engine
SteadyShot™ with Intelligent Active Mode (5-axis stablization)
4K recording

Front camera
13MP
1/3.06” Exmor RS™ for mobile image sensor
22mm Wide-angle lens F2.0
ISO 6400 (Photo) / 1600 (Video)
SteadyShot™ with Intelligent Active Mode (5-axis stablization)

Networks
GSM GPRS/EDGE (2G)
UMTS HSPA+ (3G)
LTE (4G) Cat16 with Gigabit-class speeds3

Connectivity
A-GNSS (GPS + GLONASS)3
WiFi Miracast
Bluetooth® 5.0 wireless technology
DLNA Certified®
Google Cast
NFC
USB 3.1 4 / USB Type-C™

Fingerprint sensor
Fast and secure unlock

Sound
High-Resolution Audio (LPCM, FLAC, ALAC, DSD)
DSEE HX™
LDAC
Digital Noise Cancelling
Clear Audio+
Stereo speaker with S-Force Front Surround
Stereo Recording

Entertainment
PS4 Remote Play

Applications
Music
Album
Video
Movie Creator
Spotify
News
What's New
Sound Photo
AR effect

Key accessories
Style Cover Stand SCSG10
Quick Charger UCH12W
Charging Dock DK60
Hi-res headset MDR-NC750
Bluetooth(R) Headset with Speaker SBH56

https://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-xz-premium/
old thread but as my XZP is coming, just gotta ask, it's recommended for NC750 there, which support hires 20-40khz.
But, does the Sony output itself (on the H/O or the speaker) support hires? I mean as in the DAC decoding from 20-40kHZ.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #23 of 24
As no one really answered before.
I just bought Sony Xperia XZ1 (brand new and for a bargaining price). The 3.5 mm output is good enough for up to 40 Ohm's earphones/headphones, definitely seen lauder ones. It's perfectly good enough to drive 32 Ohm's ones even with EQ. Wouldn't recommend it with very sensitive one's as it's SNR ain't that great. Been using it with Aurvanu Air that are both sensitive (102~103 dB) and a tad bright so actually on the uper range with what I would recommend to go with this phone. Sony implemented sound enchantments aren't that great, the stock music app actually sounds better with those than other apps (as it is a tad on the warm side which extends to lower mids so the vocals do sound better at least to me) that also suport it, with clear audio+ it's possible even to drive 64 Ohm's cans satisfactory as it boosts volume. Without enchantments it doesn't sound very good. I use it with Onkyo HF player (real-time DSD conversion [DoP] + real-time volume optimisation set to weak) & it sounds reasonable good (for a phone) like that bass is tight and rich, mids are very good & detailed & high are good with enough extension & details but still not harsh (probably because used earphones). Used earphones certainly helped there along with conversation to DSD (which dose add a notch of organic sounding to every other input format) but I must say it's a good combo. You hardly can find a combo with which even harsh vocals like Luis Armstrong & Frank sinatra will sound great while Bob Dylan (muddy) will sound as proper English. Bongos in Black Chicken sound very good and natural (even this earphones do have low bass roll-of & don't go really low). To hell even saxophone in Jazz numers sound very good (which is actually hard thing to accomplish). Separation is good but not great while sound stage is narrow but not intimate (again Aurvanu Air with it's relatively wide sound stage & good separation did greatly helped hire). Regarding pairing with XZ1 I wouldn't go with narrow sound stage & sub pair headphones, the rest will work OK. The cheap good pair that I would recommend to go with it by my preference would be a Edifier H190 (around 15$).

Apr 4, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #24 of 24
does someone know the output power of xz premium (32 ohms load) ? ( i found 31mw in the WCD9335 datasheet but i doubt it because i must raise volume to 30-50% for normal listening level on zs10 pro and i also read : "The output level of Sony XZ Premium is -14dB, lower than that of iPhones' -7dB, and also lower than the -8dB of Galaxy S8")
thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back