Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Aug 26, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #1,144 of 2,298
Anyone using the N3 with Shanling M3s in balanced out mode....?
Bringing a full-bodied sound with its mWatts output ?

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #1,145 of 2,298
C7ChgsX.jpg

Background:
About two weeks ago, my go-to earphones, the JVC HA-FXZ200s, became too damaged for mobile use. Many times, the cord had been yanked out of my phone after getting caught on something. Eventually, this took its toll on the jack part of the cable — sound would cut in and out. So I ordered a replacement. While waiting for those, I used the JVC HA-FXT200LTD as a backup. I was unsatisfied however, because of the 200LTD’s comparatively weaker bass, and brighter sound. I did not want to continue my commute and daily listening with those. My plan was to purchase some AirPods for mobile use, so as to reduce the chances of damaging my earphone cables again, and use the FXZ-200s while stationary. The FXZ-200 was personal endgame stuff for me. Not to say that they couldn’t be better, but to say that if I was going to spend money on something, it had better be leaps and bounds ahead. I wasn't convinced that I needed to spend on another pair of earphones and an amp. Just give me my phone and the 200s and I'm good. However…

The Sony XBA-N3AP caught my eye while I was browsing Amazon. I had owned the XBA-H3 previously, which I gave away because the FXZ-200s sounded superior to me in every way. While I waited for the new JVC HA-FXZ200s to arrive (which may take as long as the first of August), I purchased the N3, and here they are two days later.

On first listen of the N3, they get plenty loud with a lower amount of volume. As for the quality of the sound compared to the FXZ-200? These are slightly behind on the bass, but other than that, you’d have a tough time even telling them apart. Highs are the same. Details are the same. I’ve tested them with a variety of songs that show different things. For example:

Bob Marley — Waiting In Vain (Depth)
Coldplay — Clocks (Layering)
Beegees — Night Fever (left-to-right channels)
Kenny Lattimore — For You (Airiness)

etc.

They sound so similar to me that it’s almost unremarkable. Keep in mind that this is without any burn-in. I've spent close to an hour going back and forth between the two. I wouldn't really mind if the N3 never changes over time, because they are practically 90% of what I wanted. The FXZ-200s still has that "special something" to the sound that I’m not getting at the moment with the Sonys — something that made me want to keep using them. Nonetheless, I'm no stranger to patience burn-in — the FXZ-200s changed remarkably over hundreds of hours of use.

As I listened to the N3, I began to notice the strengths. The song that did it was "I'll be alright without you" by Journey. From the way it opened up, there was no denying that the N3 has the larger soundstage of the two, because of the highs.

These things sure do take a while to break-in. Whereas I initially planned to use them as a backup, I was annoyed by how harsh the vocals sounded. I would at times try to listen to them only to put them down after a few seconds. Since last week, I noticed that the midrange was more tamed, and compared to the FXZ200, vocals were clearer. The FXZ200 instead now sounds harsh whenever singers get loud... The improvement was undeniable when I was listening to some Charles Bradley. I've been enjoying these for most of my listening.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #1,146 of 2,298
So I got the XBA-N3's, daily drivers not much to complain about.

Got one issue though, the connectors are losing their grip and both earplugs comes off easily. Really annoying and will probably result in me losing them.

Not sure what end is losening up, anyone had this problem?

Never done this before, but could one expand the clamping mechanism on the cord connectors to make for a tighter fit?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #1,147 of 2,298
So I got the XBA-N3's, daily drivers not much to complain about.

Got one issue though, the connectors are losing their grip and both earplugs comes off easily. Really annoying and will probably result in me losing them.

Not sure what end is losening up, anyone had this problem?

Never done this before, but could one expand the clamping mechanism on the cord connectors to make for a tighter fit?

If you look closely at the Sony cable connector, It not one solid piece. It's compose of 4 separate 1/4 circle segments. The bottom protruding ring is the part the cause the loose connections as after many removals and insertions, it tends to get compressed a bit. All you need is to use a fine tweezers or a sharp razor blade and inset it between segments and ply it out a bit.

Sep 2, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,148 of 2,298
If you look closely at the Sony cable connector, It not one solid piece. It's compose of 4 separate 1/4 circle segments. The bottom protruding ring is the part the cause the loose connections as after many removals and insertions, it tends to get compressed a bit. All you need is to use a fine tweezers or a sharp razor blade and inset it between segments and ply it out a bit.

Did the trick! Thanks

Sep 8, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #1,149 of 2,298
I was looking for a good but not crazy expensive iem substitue for my Audioquest NO which I do not use much because of its over ear form factor and apparent "fragility" when moving around.

After some research I ended picking up the N3. I had very good previous experience with Sony gear. I really liked the MDR7520 when I had it or the CD900ST. I even enjoyed the cheaper ZX700 a lot.

I have to say I am quite impressed out of the box. They are sturdy, very very comfy and sound very good. I am not a fan of the cable though but the good news is that I can always pickup another cable later.

They are very revealing, refined and indeed not agressive at all. Used with the audioquest DFB, separation, soundstage and clarity improve further to very good levels. I like mids a tiny bit more forward though as I felt voices were further in the background than what I like. Tried the Ostry blue tips OS100 which fit perfectly and made the magic trick. I might also try the JVC spiral dots but I do not think they will lift the mids as much.

Really satisfied with this purchase. I will give it a few weeks but I can see those retiring the audioquest NO without remorse. Thank you again Sony !

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #1,150 of 2,298
Oh, yes, a special mention to the bass quality which is probably the best I have hear to date... Textured, tight, impact. Very easy to enjoy !

Sep 8, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #1,151 of 2,298
I was looking for a good but not crazy expensive iem substitue for my Audioquest NO which I do not use much because of its over ear form factor and apparent "fragility" when moving around.

After some research I ended picking up the N3. I had very good previous experience with Sony gear. I really liked the MDR7520 when I had it or the CD900ST. I even enjoyed the cheaper ZX700 a lot.

I have to say I am quite impressed out of the box. They are sturdy, very very comfy and sound very good. I am not a fan of the cable though but the good news is that I can always pickup another cable later.

They are very revealing, refined and indeed not agressive at all. Used with the audioquest DFB, separation, soundstage and clarity improve further to very good levels. I like mids a tiny bit more forward though as I felt voices were further in the background than what I like. Tried the Ostry blue tips OS100 which fit perfectly and made the magic trick. I might also try the JVC spiral dots but I do not think they will lift the mids as much.

Really satisfied with this purchase. I will give it a few weeks but I can see those retiring the audioquest NO without remorse. Thank you again Sony !

They do jump up significantly in separation/imaging going balanced. Worth having that cable/output.
My only issue with balanced directly off a DAP was there was not enough "heft/weight/meatiness" to the presentation though.

Had hoped to try them off the iBasso PB3 balanced portable amp, but its now discountinued... ;-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back