Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Dec 5, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #946 of 2,298
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been looking at TOTL Campfire offerings, but I'm quite reticent to pull the trigger on either an Andro or Dorado while I have the N3 in my arsenal.

One thing I've got to say is that there really doesn't seem to be much noise about the N3. There are no reviews from the usual suspects, and for what is an IEM that IMO punches well above it's price point there's really only this relatively tiny thread. It kind of makes the N3 a bit of secret diamond in the headphone world.

I'm not surprised by the lack of reviews for Sony products. I think the current audiophile mindset leans toward small producers. It's like the beer industry - where products from a big name producer like Coors don't get as much respect or attention vs. a small craft brewery.

Can a big name producer make an audiophile IEM with market-leading technology? Absolutely - e.g. Beyerdynamic's Xelento and T8ie MK2.

I think Sony has done something amazing in the N3s. It's an audiophile headphone that blows most >$300 to <$1000 mid-fi out of the water In terms of musicality and clarity. Easy to wear, carry around, with the best quality non-adjustable bass I've heard from an IEM. The mids (upper and lower) are clear and the highs are smooth. These headphones really amp me up, and the overall sound signature is truly engaging and balanced. It's exactly what I was looking for in a hybrid IEM. It's the very definition of coherent.

Compared to the Andromeda, the N3 sounds richer, but doesn't have the same sense of space and revealing of details. If you're planning to upgrade to the Andromeda - it may sound a tad thinner than what you're used to.

Of my IEMs, I would rank them - Andromeda > Sony XBA-N3 >> InEar Prophile-8 in terms of enjoyment.

If ranking by technical ability, it would be InEar Prophile-8 >> Andromeda > Sony XBA-N3.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #948 of 2,298
Why do Sony and some other large brand manufacturers not sell their high end offerings outside of Japan?

Perhaps they're saving the best for the local market? Just pure speculation.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #949 of 2,298
Perhaps they're saving the best for the local market? Just pure speculataction.

I totally agree to this. It does seem alot of high quality Japanese products never leave the country.

I have the N3 as well as CA Andromeda and Vega. All have very different sound signatures and I listen to them based on my moods. Andromeda when I'm not in the mood for bass heavy listening (mostly for acoustic\live music). Vega for high energy in your face music (Rage Against the Machine, Hiphop) but gets fatiguing quickly. N3 for well balanced and full sound without the over the top bass (most favorite for R&B genre). Out of them all I feel the N3 is the most versatile and comfort.

I've owned at least one model from each generation of Sony's XBA line and each generation has been an improvement. I can't wait to see what the next generation will bring.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #950 of 2,298
I recently got the Andromeda. I have to agree with all of the opinions above that Andromeda sounds very different from Sony's IEM line.

My current conundrum is that I want to keep either the N3 or the Z5 to compliment the Andromeda, and I am having a hard time deciding. I think N3's advantages are it's small size, ease to drive, and more intimate sound. Z5 is better because to me it sounds wider and has more clarity (but I don't know if it really matters since I have the Andromeda now). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #951 of 2,298
I recently got the Andromeda. I have to agree with all of the opinions above that Andromeda sounds very different from Sony's IEM line.

My current conundrum is that I want to keep either the N3 or the Z5 to compliment the Andromeda, and I am having a hard time deciding. I think N3's advantages are it's small size, ease to drive, and more intimate sound. Z5 is better because to me it sounds wider and has more clarity (but I don't know if it really matters since I have the Andromeda now). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's always hard to "let go". Seems like you already figured out the strengths of each one. Now it's up to you to prioritize which of those characteristics means most to you and decide from there. Usually what helps me decide is to let go of the one that rarely gets any playtime.

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #953 of 2,298
Perhaps they're saving the best for the local market? Just pure speculation.

I don't think so. I understand doing special editions for areas but completely not selling an item doesn't seem like something a smart business would do. That would be like Sony selling the PS5 to Japan only. I can't think of any other good reason except there isn't a market here for expensive IEMs maybe. The trend here seems to be going to over ear bluetooth (beats trend) from what I personally notice out and at the gym.

If you use them both, keep them both. I recently bought the RSA t20is along with the N3's with the intent of keeping only one but I like them both so much I couldn't send one back. Sell whatever is collecting dust.

Dec 8, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #955 of 2,298
Does anyone have comparisons of the N3 to the 1More Quad or Pinnacle P1?

Also, how good is the isolation? Would it work for public transit?

Thanks
I have demoed 1more quad and P1 before. Without considering price factor, N3 definitely is the winner.

Edit: For isolation I would rate N3 >= P1 > 1more quad

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #956 of 2,298
Does anyone have comparisons of the N3 to the 1More Quad or Pinnacle P1?

Also, how good is the isolation? Would it work for public transit?

Thanks

I currently own the triples and bought the quads before returning them. They are a slight upgrade to the triple's. The highs on the triple's can get somewhat digital sounding. The quads fix that and offer more a more balanced sound. The issues I had were the size and weight of the quads. I could wear the triples all day and not even know they were there but the quads were heavy and brought strain quickly.

As far as compared to the N3's I find the sound signature similar but the N3's do everything better. Better detail, better bass/mids/treble. The N3's are like the triples where I can wear them all day and not know they are there. Sound isolation is adequate. It probably depends on the tips. The comfy tips seem to have better isolation but I just wear the standard ones.

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #958 of 2,298
I have managed to lose my N3s :frowning2:

Although I have quite a few sets of IEMs, I found that these were my favourite pair, with just the right combination of everything.

Has anyone else who had the N3 (and liked them) moved on to anything else and found them better still? If not, I am tempted to go with another set.

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #959 of 2,298

Although I have quite a few sets of IEMs, I found that these were my favourite pair, with just the right combination of everything.

Has anyone else who had the N3 (and liked them) moved on to anything else and found them better still? If not, I am tempted to go with another set.

Sorry for your lost :triportsad: Nothing that I've tried beats the comfort of my N3. Sound-wise the only thing I have that I'll choose over the N3 but really depends on my mood are the Andromeda and Zero Audio Duoza though they all have a different sound. However if I were in your situation I'd probably pick up another set if I could find them below their usual $300 asking price.

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #960 of 2,298

There's a new AKG N5005 but it's much pricier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back