Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Oct 19, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #916 of 2,298
N3 not an expansive sounding presentation to me either, definitely a 'closed' kind of sound but within that I find no big issues with the imaging/seperation from various sources. I mostly use them on noisy streets etc.. though, so probably wouldn't be noticing that much anyway/
Yes, I just tried it yesterday, and the more i use it, the better it is, except for the soundstage. I found the low to be tight, and overall music is very smooth, compared to the XBA-300. Its still a good purchase.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #918 of 2,298
I had also bought and really quite surprise about the sound! It is a very addictive sound. Not only the bass is good with texture but it is also having good treble which the resolution is good! The piano sound very real too.

I want to buy a custom and had tried a few like UERR, UM maestro v2, AAW w500, w900 recently and surprise that i still like sony xba-n3ap. The sound is just addictive and non fatigue.

Currently, i have UM Martian and er4sr. Using Fiio x7 ii as my dap.

XBA-n3ap is a very good iem! The bass might be a bit overwhelm but shiok! The treble is high enough not to sibilance. Resolution is good! I have 7520 before so i know how good is the dynamic driver. It is a clever and good design with the dynamic driver as low and mid while the armature is for high treble. This will sound coherent and nice resolution. Fantastic iem! Loving it!

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #922 of 2,298
What is the fitment like on these? They look quite large, I'm worried whether I'll be able to insert them deep enough... Do they sit quite shallow in your ear?
To me, it doesn’t really sits inside the ear camel, but it doesn’t act like a suction that will stick onto your canal wall once you plug in and create a very nice and fit seal. At least for me

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #923 of 2,298
What is the fitment like on these? They look quite large, I'm worried whether I'll be able to insert them deep enough... Do they sit quite shallow in your ear?

This is a wide nozzle with a shallow fit for me- I have shallow fit in general & sometimes have discomfort with straight nozzle into larger diameter body styles (like Dunu 2000), but the proportionately narrow front body and off-center set of the wider dynamic driver actually rests comfortably just inside my antigragus and adds stability. - but I can imagine some might have a problem if the dynamic ends up resting just on top of the tragus instead of totally inside or outside ( though it might be possible to wear it comfortably over-ear in this case depending on how much stability they get from the tips).

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #924 of 2,298
This has probably been asked and answered already so apologies.

But how do the N3AP's compare to the A3 in terms of Bass, Mids, Highs and the soundstage? biggest difference i can see in spec is the driver size 9mm vs 16mm? Seen 12mm listed in places for the A3

Thanks

Edit: Wonder how they also compare to the Z5's

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #925 of 2,298
This has probably been asked and answered already so apologies.

But how do the N3AP's compare to the A3 in terms of Bass, Mids, Highs and the soundstage? biggest difference i can see in spec is the driver size 9mm vs 16mm? Seen 12mm listed in places for the A3

Thanks

Edit: Wonder how they also compare to the Z5's

They are close yet different. The A3's bass goes lower but are not as quick as the N3. The mid have a bit more sparkles but it also have a 4K spike that can be bothersome to some but can be mellowed out with certain tips. The N3 has warmer vocal coming from the dynamic driver but lacks some details in the mid as it does not have a dedicated midrange driver. The N3 is easier to drive from a phone but if you have a DAP with a bit more power, the A3 is very good. Also depends on what gene of music you listen to.

As to the Z5, Here's some of my posts on the Z5 thread.

Even brand new out of the box compared to my fully broken in A3 (if you believe that stuff). The difference is quite noticeable using the NW-A35 (will have to wait till Monday to try it on the HA-P50 at the office). Bigger sound stage, more controlled and tighter bass that reach lower. Some have said that the high-mids/low-highs are a bit recessed compared to the A3, This turns out to be a good thing as on the A3 they can be a bit sharp at times.

Does seems to take a bit more power to drive, up at 80/120 compared to 70/120 to the A3 (it also maybe that with less of those sharp mids of the A3, I can comfortably run them at a higher volume) . Going to let it play on a loop overnight over the weekend to get some hours in and see but so far, well worth the cost.

I have tried mine on a few DAP/DAC. First up is the Sony NW-A35, It's better than my iPhone but the bass is a bit muddy and the mid are missing some sparkles which is to be expected with only 35mW/ch @ 16 ohm. I then tried them on my Teac HA-P50 (160mW/ch) DAC and they sounds great, the Bass are tight and controlled, the mid is maybe a bit recessed and the high are very detailed, It's one of the most airy and wide soundstage I heard on any IEM and you can listen for hours without fatigue. The vocal are not cold like most BA mid but rather warm. Then I got the MUC-M12SM2 upgrade cable and I got the mid to move a bit forward with more sparkles and improved clarity in general. I highly recommend getting the MUC-M12SM2 as it's much more comfortable to wear over the ear than the stock earhook and almost no microphonics.

Currently driving my Z5 with a PHA-2A via balance output and it cannot be beat.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #926 of 2,298
Hi. Been lurking for a bit. The N3's will be here tomorrow after some failed attempts at upgrading due to fatigue. I sent back the 1more quad's and JVC 850's. They were just too heavy and were putting pressure on my ear canal. I currently wear the 1more triples all day without any issue at all. They kind of sit in the ear though. I hope the Sony's work out. I have good luck with cheaper sub $50 Sony's in the past.

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #928 of 2,298
Hi. Been lurking for a bit. The N3's will be here tomorrow after some failed attempts at upgrading due to fatigue. I sent back the 1more quad's and JVC 850's. They were just too heavy and were putting pressure on my ear canal. I currently wear the 1more triples all day without any issue at all. They kind of sit in the ear though. I hope the Sony's work out. I have good luck with cheaper sub $50 Sony's in the past.
I tried the 1more triple before...not sure why it is so expensive....cause to me the sound quality is just fine....not great but the reviews for the earphone are all very positive.

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #929 of 2,298
Do you like bass? Combined with clarity?
Natural sound, no sibilance but plenty extended treble?
If so, I predict happiness. :)

Yes a V shape with detail is exactly what I am looking for. I'm sure they will sound great but I'm more worried about fatigue after the other two I sent back but from searching this thread I keep seeing only positive comments about comfort. Several people saying they were the most comfortable IEM's they have ever had. That was enough so sell me even though it was more than I was planning to spend.

I tried the 1more triple before...not sure why it is so expensive....cause to me the sound quality is just fine....not great but the reviews for the earphone are all very positive.

You think $100 is expensive for the triples? Huh, I think they blow away my Shure 215's and they are the same price. I thought the Shure's sounded good when I first got them. Now they sound flat and muddy. I can't think of 1 thing the Shure's do better actually as far as SQ goes. Better build and cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back