Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Sep 20, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #886 of 2,298
I'm new to the sony lines having been away from them for years lol XB is the extra bass line then? BA is balanced armature as you say, so XBA is extra bass/balanced armature? lol

There's something very appealing about the sound to me with the N1, switching between the ZN I can feel the N1 sound more meaty, full bodied, however with clear vocals. The ZN are a tighter sound across the board, the bass and sub bass (wow) in particular is super controlled and tight and energetic (up until I heard the N1, I thought the ZNs were quite bassy earphones lol), the bass on the N1 are great but when switching over from the ZN sound more boomy, on some tracks like Breath by Prodigy, the heavy bass rumble can be a bit much. If the N1 had the bass/sub bass of the ZN that would be ideal. Which leads me to think whether the N3 would be better suited for me... I read earlier in the thread that they're not has heavy handed in the bass department as the N1.

I own the N3 and the ZN. To be honest, the N3's bass I find are far superior than the Zn's. The N1/N3 when properly amped and EQ'd you will get the most benefit from. The ZN maybe perceived to have more bass, but I think this is false, as the mid-bass is emphasized or tuned that way. If you play with the EQ a little bit more, I am confident that the N1's bass would be more significant than the ZN; You may notice that the ZN's bass will distort and hit the ceiling a lot quicker.

The only advantage I find that the ZN have is that is gives a more 3D sound, the spatial sound qualities are hard to beat. But having said that, I find the comfort and cables of the ZN are horrendous compared to the N3. The N3 I find are more revealing, in a way that if you have a weak link in your setup, it will be very apparent. It wasn't until I switched to higher quality, beefier cables that I noticed I was getting the full sound.

Now, whenever I play music or watch movies or play games, it's literally like I am in a club or movie theater. Lol.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #887 of 2,298
I own the N3 and the ZN. To be honest, the N3's bass I find are far superior than the Zn's. The N1/N3 when properly amped and EQ'd you will get the most benefit from. The ZN maybe perceived to have more bass, but I think this is false, as the mid-bass is emphasized or tuned that way. If you play with the EQ a little bit more, I am confident that the N1's bass would be more significant than the ZN; You may notice that the ZN's bass will distort and hit the ceiling a lot quicker.

The only advantage I find that the ZN have is that is gives a more 3D sound, the spatial sound qualities are hard to beat. But having said that, I find the comfort and cables of the ZN are horrendous compared to the N3. The N3 I find are more revealing, in a way that if you have a weak link in your setup, it will be very apparent. It wasn't until I switched to higher quality, beefier cables that I noticed I was getting the full sound.

Now, whenever I play music or watch movies or play games, it's literally like I am in a club or movie theater. Lol.

Thanks for the comparison, yeah I agree the spatial quality is definitely something that is apparant from the get go with the ZN. I love that element about them.

I'm actually the opposite when it comes to the cable, I prefer the V-moda cable, it feels more sturdy and robust.

I have to say, female vocals sound so lush on the N1...

I'm wondering whether it's worth the price difference from the N1 to N3... obviously I'm curious to hear the difference but I'm currently happy with what I'm getting out the N1. Will see how I get along with them over the course of the week...

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #888 of 2,298
Tested the N1 and ZN together non stop pretty much since getting them, I'm leaning towards the ZN, as it's an overall more enjoyable listening experience for me. The boosted bass was a bit much on the N1, it got to the point where I felt fatigued listening to it and any song with any hint of bass, it felt like it made the songs all about that bass, whereas the ZN's presentation was more balanced with a better quality of bass. Really like the sound of the mids and highs on the N1 though but I can't see myself with these long term. Top marks to Sony though, really great effort. I haven't used Sony earphones for some years not since ex70-90 era (loved them) but these would be a great choice if you are a bass head.

If the N3 are similar to the N1 but with a wider soundstage and a more tamed bass, I would def be interested in them.

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #889 of 2,298
Tested the N1 and ZN together non stop pretty much since getting them, I'm leaning towards the ZN, as it's an overall more enjoyable listening experience for me. The boosted bass was a bit much on the N1, it got to the point where I felt fatigued listening to it and any song with any hint of bass, it felt like it made the songs all about that bass, whereas the ZN's presentation was more balanced with a better quality of bass. Really like the sound of the mids and highs on the N1 though but I can't see myself with these long term. Top marks to Sony though, really great effort. I haven't used Sony earphones for some years not since ex70-90 era (loved them) but these would be a great choice if you are a bass head.

If the N3 are similar to the N1 but with a wider soundstage and a more tamed bass, I would def be interested in them.
I hated the N1 when I tried them at a store while I loved the N3 one first listen if that tells you anything. I have been very picky about price to sound ratio since day 1 but it was the N3 that broke that thinking of mine. I disliked how the N1 bass is presented, to me it was bloated and big as hell while the N3 is definitely more tamed in the bass and very very tight

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #890 of 2,298
I hated the N1 when I tried them at a store while I loved the N3 one first listen if that tells you anything. I have been very picky about price to sound ratio since day 1 but it was the N3 that broke that thinking of mine. I disliked how the N1 bass is presented, to me it was bloated and big as hell while the N3 is definitely more tamed in the bass and very very tight

I'll admit the N1 def has me intrigued enough to try the N3. Will have to look into them at some point. Thanks for your thoughts. Is the soundstage any better on the N3?

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #891 of 2,298
I'll admit the N1 def has me intrigued enough to try the N3. Will have to look into them at some point. Thanks for your thoughts. Is the soundstage any better on the N3?
Hmmm I cant really recall about the soundstage between the 2. It was pretty long ago. Sorry about that :/

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #892 of 2,298
. Is the soundstage any better on the N3?
The soundstage is pretty much the same, logically really because the driver configuration is the same. Maybe seems a little better because of the increased clarity of the N3, but the main advantage of the N3 is better clarity and more defined bass and treble.

Sep 25, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #893 of 2,298
The soundstage is pretty much the same, logically really because the driver configuration is the same. Maybe seems a little better because of the increased clarity of the N3, but the main advantage of the N3 is better clarity and more defined bass and treble.

I see, thank you for your overview. I will probably order a pair to hear for myself very soon.

However, here in the UK, there is an £80 price difference between the N1 (£125 at the time of writing) and N3 (£220) so i'm weighing it up, whether that difference in sound is worth that.

My v-moda ZN which i am more than happy with, are £70 less (£150) than what the N3 costs as well and ultimately I found more satisfying than the N1s.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #896 of 2,298
Not much to add since the unit have been out forever ;-P, but a lot of us still monitor this thread
Also, I think most people are happy with them, and they seem very reliable so there isn't much to discuss. :)
I don't know anyone who has had issues that need thrashing out repeatedly like some threads :wink: if a replacement ever comes maybe there will be talking points, but I'm so happy with them that it's not even a question about getting anything else for some time.
Just noticed that they are selling locally now for only $170 which makes them the best bang for buck IEMs around IMHO.
When a new model emerges I'll be tempted, but these suit my needs perfectly.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #897 of 2,298
Also, I think most people are happy with them, and they seem very reliable so there isn't much to discuss. :)
I don't know anyone who has had issues that need thrashing out repeatedly like some threads :wink: if a replacement ever comes maybe there will be talking points, but I'm so happy with them that it's not even a question about getting anything else for some time.
Just noticed that they are selling locally now for only $170 which makes them the best bang for buck IEMs around IMHO.
When a new model emerges I'll be tempted, but these suit my needs perfectly.
I am planning to purchase one in December to pair with wm1a. Checking the price from Amazon and if the price got drop and maybe tempted to get it early, do you have a link where I can get it with that price?

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #900 of 2,298
I am planning to purchase one in December to pair with wm1a. Checking the price from Amazon and if the price got drop and maybe tempted to get it early, do you have a link where I can get it with that price?

Depends on current pricing and exchange rate, but try Amazon UK when you go to the checkout screen they will remove VAT if you aren't in europe (IIRC mine were ~220usd). Amazon Germany too.

IMO these don't need a high end dap to their best, but if you do go WM1A, there is a new N3BP version that comes with a 4.4mm pentaconn termination.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back