Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Sep 12, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #871 of 2,298
Mis-Typed, I meant DAC/DAP which stands for Digital to Analog converter and DAP stands for Digital audio player. As much as I like Apple, They really sucks when it comes to supporting decent wireless music playback. That's why I got myself a small DAP, the Sony NW-A30 and it supports Sony's own Hi-Res wireless standard LDAC (but not aptX) which can do 24/96 playback over aptX HD's 24/48. If you're willing to wait a few weeks. The NW-A40 will be released and it will support aptX and LDAC. Unfortunately, there is really no easy way of getting decent wireless music playback from an iPhone (I looked everywhere). That said, itune tracks does sounds OK over BT when I use my MUC-M2BT1 and N3.

The itech stuff look interesting, it seems accesoryjack carries them. for a cheaper alternative for connecting to the N3, maybe give this a try:

http://www.accessoryjack.com/i-tech-prostereo-l5-mmcx-ipx4-stereo-bluetooth-cable-clear.html

Hi mate, that looks interesting but I am more into having aptx hd and/or ldac codec as I have also divacore blueskull headphones now. I think I will get an aptx hd transmitter for my iphone. I know it will be a bit bulky to carry on but i can make that comprimise now.

I found a small transmitter tbh, it's called inateck aptx hd transmitter

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #872 of 2,298
Hi mate, that looks interesting but I am more into having aptx hd and/or ldac codec as I have also divacore blueskull headphones now. I think I will get an aptx hd transmitter for my iphone. I know it will be a bit bulky to carry on but i can make that comprimise now.

I found a small transmitter tbh, it's called inateck aptx hd transmitter

So you taking the digital files, converting to analog to output through the 3.5mm jack into the Inateck which convert it back to digital BT/aptX HD for the Blue Skull. I guess that you won't be using the N3. I guess that works. What kind of files do you have? There are minimal difference between 16 bit FLAC and AAC/MP4 so I think you should just try to use the Blue Skull with the iPhone first and see if that's acceptable before investing in more stuff to carry around.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #873 of 2,298
can you use comply tips for the xba-n3? if yay, which model works well?

also, if any1 can offer some thoughts, how would these compare to westone 3? (which is my current iem)

and I'm tossing up between this, the FLC8S and LZ-A4, preference is bass

appreciate any help/comments =)

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #874 of 2,298
So you taking the digital files, converting to analog to output through the 3.5mm jack into the Inateck which convert it back to digital BT/aptX HD for the Blue Skull. I guess that you won't be using the N3. I guess that works. What kind of files do you have? There are minimal difference between 16 bit FLAC and AAC/MP4 so I think you should just try to use the Blue Skull with the iPhone first and see if that's acceptable before investing in more stuff to carry around.
I use Tidal and also have some Hi-Res albums (24/96). So do you think 16/44.1 and AAC doesn't have that much difference?

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #875 of 2,298
I use Tidal and also have some Hi-Res albums (24/96). So do you think 16/44.1 and AAC doesn't have that much difference?

Source/album dependent and usually only in quiet area. if you're out and about with fair amount of ambient noise, I would say no 95% of the time. I have a mix of iTune AAC, 16 bit FLAC that I rip from my CD collection, and 24/96 that I purchased online or digitize from my LPs and it's really hard to tell the difference when I'm out and about. In the evening at home, it's easier.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #880 of 2,298
Hi guys, I have a question about Sony M12SM2 cable, since I don't find any thread dedicated to it, I presume I might ask it here.
Are they compatible with general MMCX socket? Much obliged.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #881 of 2,298
Hi guys, I have a question for Sony M12SM2 cable, since I don't find any thread dedicated to it, I presume I might ask it here.
Are they compatible with general MMCX socket? Much obliged.
jep, tried to use it with my shure iems and works flawless. Also one side point, the cable itself is made for all XBA Sony headphones, so it has this 1mm space between the earphone and the cable. This does not happen with the included cable since it has a bit rubber around it.

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #882 of 2,298
jep, tried to use it with my shure iems and works flawless. Also one side point, the cable itself is made for all XBA Sony headphones, so it has this 1mm space between the earphone and the cable. This does not happen with the included cable since it has a bit rubber around it.
That's very useful information, thank you.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #883 of 2,298
Just received the N1ap gave them a quick listen, they sound very very promising. Did a quick A-B with the v-moda zn, straight off the bat, i can't tell which one I prefer lol they both sound really good, but different. The sony sounds warmer, surprised with the bass (i guess i shouldn't with the XBA suffix really) quantity. Surprisingly, sounds more present than the V-moda ZN, but the ZN definitely win on sub bass.

A very pleasant surprise. Very engaging fun sound signature. Look forward to more comparisons to the ZN once they've been burnt in a bit more.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #884 of 2,298
Just received the N1ap gave them a quick listen, they sound very very promising. Did a quick A-B with the v-moda zn, straight off the bat, i can't tell which one I prefer lol they both sound really good, but different. The sony sounds warmer, surprised with the bass (i guess i shouldn't with the XBA suffix really) quantity. Surprisingly, sounds more present than the V-moda ZN, but the ZN definitely win on sub bass.

A very pleasant surprise. Very engaging fun sound signature. Look forward to more comparisons to the ZN once they've been burnt in a bit more.

The "BA" suffix stands for "Balanced armature" :p

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #885 of 2,298
The "BA" suffix stands for "Balanced armature" :p

I'm new to the sony lines having been away from them for years lol XB is the extra bass line then? BA is balanced armature as you say, so XBA is extra bass/balanced armature? lol

There's something very appealing about the sound to me with the N1, switching between the ZN I can feel the N1 sound more meaty, full bodied, however with clear vocals. The ZN are a tighter sound across the board, the bass and sub bass (wow) in particular is super controlled and tight and energetic (up until I heard the N1, I thought the ZNs were quite bassy earphones lol), the bass on the N1 are great but when switching over from the ZN sound more boomy, on some tracks like Breath by Prodigy, the heavy bass rumble can be a bit much. If the N1 had the bass/sub bass of the ZN that would be ideal. Which leads me to think whether the N3 would be better suited for me... I read earlier in the thread that they're not has heavy handed in the bass department as the N1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back