Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Aug 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #2,596 of 3,257
For those looking to experiment with tips, these are most definitely worth a shot and Amazon currently has the medium (which IMO will fit medium to large canals) for $10 on a 6pk. They sound fantastic and isolate exceptionally well:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Foam-SuperTips-Replacement-Kits/dp/B003TFEHLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409001425&sr=8-1&keywords=medium+monster+foam+tips

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #2,597 of 3,257
For those looking to experiment with tips, these are most definitely worth a shot and Amazon currently has the medium (which IMO will fit medium to large canals) for $10 on a 6pk. They sound fantastic and isolate exceptionally well:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Foam-SuperTips-Replacement-Kits/dp/B003TFEHLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409001425&sr=8-1&keywords=medium+monster+foam+tips

Hmmph... Amazon.com does not ship these to the UK - Take a look at the Amazon UK price

:frowning2:

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #2,598 of 3,257
Hmmph... Amazon.com does not ship these to the UK - Take a look at the Amazon UK price

frown.gif

I was recently on holiday in Cyprus, and while waiting for my return flight home I actually found a sampler pack of these Monster Super Tips in the duty free shop - 1 pair of every size (XS, S, SM, M, L) in both foam and gel. It set me back I think around 25 euro? When I thought about how much Comply tips cost it looked like a good deal to me, and that Amazon UK price confirms I got a pretty good deal.

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #2,600 of 3,257
  It is more the work of this new Cayin C5 amp. You can read more about it here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/729545/the-new-cayin-c5-portable-power-house  The H3 on a simple dap is decent enough but to truly hear them for what they are I highly recommend a little amp to fully maximize the sound of the H3. This new C5 I took a chance on given Cayin's history with higher end amps and I came away completely impressed with the sonics and ability of this amp. It and the H3 has a synergy that is among my favorites for an amp and earphone combo.

Highly recommended for owners of the H3. The new Fiio E11K is outstanding as well but not at the same level of sound as the C5.

The H3 is 40 Ohms and draws very little from an Amp, so it's very easy to drive, this is not an HE-6. The FiiO E11 is not what I'd consider, on the other hand if you are looking at FiiO, the E12 is quite good. As far as a source goes, If one's DAP, phone, etc.,  has a lousy DAC, then nothing will help, other than an external DAC with merit.

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #2,603 of 3,257
Holy Moly!

...Unsure as to why I did this, however - listened to some Prodigy at almost full volume on the Hugo, I really didn't realise that the H3 can kick as hard as it does!

...Interesting...

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2,604 of 3,257
Are those UE900 cables? And how do you keep em from getting all crooked and warped? Mine are all messed up from putting them in the UE tin.

I usually just roll my cables up in a circle when placing them in a case. While the UE cable does start off stiff, it breaks in over constant use.

:)

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #2,605 of 3,257
Anyone who gets these and feels they have too much bass, muddy or recessed mids, or rolled off treble, I guarantee burn in will improve all of these issues. It's not brain burn-in, promise.

The dynamic driver settles in and is the mid bass gets under control and makes room for the midrange.

When I first got them I had buyer's remorse. I stuck with them, experimenting with tips and sources. The sound does come around. They aren't my #1 iem for no reason.

I think 100 hours is the benchmark to begin to draw a conclusion on them.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #2,606 of 3,257
Just to add to my last post...

I'm listening to my h3 through my f806 - e12 as a source. No bass boost, no high gain. I'm currently bouncing back and forth between the mh1 stock tips and the heir tips found on lunashops. I've been listening to them exclusively at home, and have been comparing them to my other favorite iems (check my inventory if you're wondering what that is)

The sound of my h3 is much different from the iem I heard the first 100 hours. Burn in is real! At least on some iems!

What I hear now out of them is a very balanced and controlled bass response that extends as far as I can hear. It is prominent from the sub layer all the way up and through the mid-bass and into the midrange. I hear no bleed whatsoever. I think some might perceive a bloat or a bleed, but with higher quality tracks and sources it's actually very well presented in separation and texture.

Midrange is spot on. Separation and imaging is seldom rivaled by any iem I've heard. It gives an out of the head feeling. It really shines when multiple vocals and instruments are playing at the same time. Separation is consistent and doesn't ever seem to ever get overwhelmed. I can pick out any particular sound on a complex track and focus in on it, and it's sound never will get distorted or smeared.

Treble is very present and with better than average detail. It gets as bright as it can get without becoming sibilant. There are parts of songs where with some iems I will almost have to brace myself for the impact that the sibilance will have with my ears. I NEVER have to worry about that with the h3. The ex1000, altone200, and even sometimes with the GR07BE, the sibilance has a fatiguing effect on my listening experience. Some will knock it, saying it's "unnatural" or "not as extended as...", but I think the h3 is superior in the sense that it is what I consider fatigue free treble. It is still very present, relatively well extended and not lacking or rolled off whatsoever IMHO.

Soundstage width and separation is world class. Soundstage depth is about as good as it gets, and height is very good. Separation is phenomenal.

I own sets of iems that do surpass it in terms of detail (altone200, KC06, havi b3 pro1 just to name a few) but all things considered, the h3 is the total package. It takes bass lovers and audiophiles and strikes a balanced product in the h3.

Reviews can sometimes be discouraging on these. It's unfortunate if it caused some to be reluctant and not purchase them. They can currently be had for around $250 usd. That is a great price on a great iem. I hope more people bite on them, spend some time tip rolling, and give them 100 hours of play time/burn in. I'm sure many will be pleased with what they experience.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #2,607 of 3,257
I do often wonder about Sony H3 still, I think we're destined to meet each other again sometime in the future. I just have that feeling........

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #2,608 of 3,257
I do often wonder about Sony H3 still, I think we're destined to meet each other again sometime in the future. I just have that feeling........

So the tracking number says Thursday eh....

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #2,609 of 3,257
They are definitely a different approach and a nice compliment to the altone200.

H3 is my Batman, and altone200 is my Robin lol.

They complement each other, and shine where the other one doesn't.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #2,610 of 3,257
So the tracking number says Thursday eh....

Hmm, maybe not that soon dear friend Unity. I was thinking more along the lines of a FS section salvage job sometime in 2016 for $100.

But in the world of wacky audio who knows...!

For now I will ponder further out my window into the night sky..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back