Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Aug 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #2,581 of 3,257
Strangely, I'm back with the H3 plugged into my ears...

Not really tried them with the Chord Hugo, and - had some Amazon vouchers, decided to buy the FiiO SE1 replacement cable (as luck would have it, the Hugo has two identical outputs, so could compare the stock cable on one ear, and the Fiio on the other - could I hear a difference? - barely - if splitting hairs, a smidgen more treble - either way, far less tangle-prone, so the FiiO cable is a winner), however - going back to point - with the Hugo, compared to the Senn IE800s, it is a case of slightly more mid presence on the H3 vs slightly more treble presence on the H3 - Considering cost difference (and bearing in mind that the Hugo can make a silk purse out of a sows ear), I actually cannot justify taking the IE800s with me out on the road anymore - so, the H3 will now be my out and about work-horse...

Nothing against the IE800, however - as others have noted previously (and I can also, now I've upped the ante on the amplification front) there is so little difference (relatively speaking) between these two IEMs, that I cannot overlook the value for money that Sony bring to the table.

Bit confused by this "slightly more mid presence on the H3 vs slightly more treble presence on the H3 ". Did you mean slightly more mid presence on the ie 800? I've compared these (H3's) a lot to my Shure 846's and find the mids on the Shure a lot more forward but then Shure's are known for that. The Shures bass is a bit faster and more distinct but not as deep. The H3's still hold up really well and are more comfortable and I still enjoy them a lot although overall the Shure's are more balanced and accurate and overall are the best iem's I've ever heard. But I'm keeping the H3's as well for out and about as you are. .

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2,584 of 3,257

New Cayin C5 amp, Z1060 connected to my H3. Great synergy.

That is a sweet looking rig.
How does it sound?
I have the H1's + E12 + iPhone 4s.
I'm considering getting the H3's.

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #2,586 of 3,257
It is more the work of this new Cayin C5 amp. You can read more about it here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/729545/the-new-cayin-c5-portable-power-house  The H3 on a simple dap is decent enough but to truly hear them for what they are I highly recommend a little amp to fully maximize the sound of the H3. This new C5 I took a chance on given Cayin's history with higher end amps and I came away completely impressed with the sonics and ability of this amp. It and the H3 has a synergy that is among my favorites for an amp and earphone combo.

Highly recommended for owners of the H3. The new Fiio E11K is outstanding as well but not at the same level of sound as the C5.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #2,588 of 3,257
iPhone 5. That's it.
Background: After I was unable to hear a real substantial difference between it and my JDS Labs' C5, and reading Ken Rockwell's article, it felt liberating to ditch the amp. I'll probably keep my iPhone 5 as a standalone player when I get an iPhone 6.

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #2,590 of 3,257
This is kinda what I'm strugglng with: how should I upgrade the chain? via source? or amp the iphone5? I have the H3 and enjoy it straight out of the iphone5, but always tempted to extract more!!
I really gotta stay concise and portable so here is the dilemma:
-Get a DX90 and lug around an extra music player (dual sabre dacs! Aaooorrrgghlllll -*homer simpson drooling*)
-get an amp/dac combo thats iDevice compatible (cayin c6, beyer a200p, vamp verza)
-get the cayin c5 (which can act as a power station for iphone)

I wish I could spend some quality time and demo these options, but this is where HeadFi shines!!

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #2,593 of 3,257
Aug 25, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #2,594 of 3,257
Hello, Folks :D, I come from Anything but ipod after being a long-time lurker here in head-fi

I recently went to Hamburg, Germany to meet my boyfriend (I’m from Mexico), during the trip to visit Lübeck… my then beloved sony XBA-1, started to show signs of sound coming on and off (my bf told me) so I twisted the cable to get the sound, so next days I went with him to Saturn and media markt to get the Sony XBA-H3,  but they didn’t have them in stock (299EUR), Then tried sony Deutschland using my Mexican debit card and they refused it, so then I tried amazon Deutschland and yay I got them for 260 eruos +7 euros express shipping (because I had to leave for mexico in Saturday)

The XBA-1 as always one of the phones stopped working, so I asked my Bf for a hammer, tweezers, HAHA, I destroyed them, to see the technology of the BA’s O_o so small

Now for the XBA-H3, they arrived Thursday, in a factory sealed package (sold from sony direct), the question why I bought them in hamburg? A) XBA-1 passed away after 2.5 years of faithful musical service, b) I lost all hopes on sony de mexico SA, when they removed all the XBA-x line and intead left us with ****ty choices. C) Hi-res Moniker (I have some Hi-Res albums, mostly are normal 16-bit FLAC, no mp3 or AAC) and d) and most important detachable wires (common point of failure)
Build quality: feel rock-solid, typical of sony high-end products, altought all is plastic, stills feels as they will last quite a time, paint job… looks nice, alittle bit like the Sennheiser IE-800 (saw them in saturn, Hamburg), but… hope they paint job doesn’t degrade like some of my past-owned sony prducts… XBA-1 paint job is a prime example… after one year the paint was all chipped-off and looked like they were abused for nearly 20-years, oh my!, also happened with a Walkman E-507

Looks/Comfort: They look pretty shiny shiny, screaming luxury (my bf said so, I also think the same), but boy!, they’re huge :p, the biggest earbuds I have owned since those included with my Walkman X1060.. haha when I arrived at Mexico, my dad told me I looked like Frankenstein HAHA
As for Comfort at first they were so uncorfortable to wear, pain on my ear cartilage, until I elarned how to put them to avoid pain and/or dislodgind and destroying the air-seal, so for max confort I twist them so the connector points a little bit north-west and the other also noth-east( the connector is angled away from my cartilage), then I mold the hanger to my ear-contour

Included accessories: those are fairly basic, the ear-tips mad eof hybrid-silicone and those with foam (haven’t used neither of them, as I am using the complys TX-200 I ahd intended to use with my XBA-1), a shirt-clip, cord length-adjuster (I don’t use them), extra cable for smartphones (apple & android), the carrying case, c’mon sony on this one!!!!, could have been better, a plastic tray with the shape of the H3 where you could pu them in and store the cord neatly (like the case of senns IE-8 & IE80)
Now the icing of the cake, my sound quality impression:
First, some notes… Source: FiiO x3 Dac/amp7Music player & Vaio Fit-multiflip 14A laptop hybrid.
Music Genre: classical music from renaissance to late romantic (no modern, comtemporary classical here, just real classical music :D),.
Other headphones and/or speakers to compare to: Bose sound dock Series II & Ultrasone HFI-780 and from memory my boyfriend’s stereo system a fisher (didn’t ask him for the model Number, je told me it was at least 20 yrs old)

At first trial, (to detecte a possible faulty unit), sounded too much bass, with the sony hybrid medium sized tips, then I switched to my complys to use them “until they die” (they did upon arriving to mexico, tore apart)

The first runs were too much bass, (I didn’t believe in burn-in, I tought it was a myth), but with use the bass settled more and more, so now they sound fine. Bass is still prominent, strong presence, had to tweak my Fiio EQ to -1 on bass (XBA-1 was anemic on this aspect)
Mids/highs sound nice, not harsh like previous cheapie sony fontopias and later MDR series, thr mids sound a little recessed, highs are nice, well-rounded, my perfect type of presentation.
They sound very musical, very engaging, non-fatiguing, I think they match for classical music, soundstage is perfectly 3D (listening to H.F Biber missa Bruxellensis artist: Jordi Savall & Concert Les Nations, perfect disc with great acoustics) , the instrument separations is so great wow that I can hear the most distant trumpet or the kettle drums, and the singers singing.

Was surprised when the opening Kyrie  all the polyphonic shined on those, the drums, brass section, male and female singers panning and revolving around this 3D space (this seldomly works with the Ultrasone so called “S-Logic surround”).

They sound like my Bf Fisher speakers and system, so damn realistic they give the feeling of “being there live” (total immersion in the performance), something I can’t get with my bose soundDock
In summary they are quite good IEMs, although they sound a tad warm, they are non-fatiguing, wide soundstage & instrument separation, detacheaable cabl.

So if you’re looking for some replacement IEMs, give those a try, they will not disappoint.

Note: I tried the so called Scotch-Tape modding, but I ended removing it, as the bass was instantly muffled a lot, and ended sounding like cheap Airline-handed headphones LOL.

Sorry if i double posted this but the system first told me i had no permission to post (i had to login again and all was blank)

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #2,595 of 3,257
As far as today I note the XBA-H3 bass has settled down and I resetted my Fiio Bass to 0.

I  also nte the H3's drain the battery of the fiio faster (perhaps my impression, perhaps it needs a recalibration) than the XBA-1 under same Low gain setting, H3, some times require more volume to be driven (40-ohm IEM), but not as quite as fast when i use the High gain to drive the ultrasones

I love/hate comply tips IMO too expensive for a pack of 3 pairs, that only last 2 to 3 months
angry_face.gif
 (got them on may on my xba-1, used  constantly for 8 hours x 5 work-days a week, the first pair died on august, last week in fact), stull have one apir of comply lying on a small spehrical coontainer, and the sony tips (I had no choice but to buy the complys... again sony mexico, they don't dell the rubber tips that sony USA sells)

Ps: what do you think of the combo of XBA-H3 and FiiO X3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back