Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Apr 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #1,862 of 3,257
Ya I am a Sony fan myself and I can tell you the DX90 is the real deal. It synergizes with everything I own. Which is an accomplishment unto itself. The H3? Unbelievable from the DX90. Do some reading on the DX90. Should be easy to find.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,864 of 3,257
There is a clear difference when using a silver OFC cable on the H3.. It definitely brings up the sound of the H3 to another level. I like the stock cable of the H3 but aftermarket Silvers will bring even more sonic qualities to what is already a fantastic foundation on the H3. Will be worth the investment.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #1,865 of 3,257
Just a small update on these.. I let them burn-in some more overnight. 

One reason why I purchased these, was because I read about the wide soundstage and how it has a "out-of-head" feel to it. 

I personally never got anything close to that feeling from these [Sounded like the music was inside my head], until I started listening to them today. There's easily more than 100 hrs on these. 

On sone songs, I noticed that certain parts are more spaced out, and I can feel them at the edge of my ear; It sounds wider. For example: 

THE CARS - DRIVE [w/ lyrics]     
Bob Marley - Is this Love     

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #1,866 of 3,257
Hmmm, decided to take the dog for a walk and give the H1 a listen as they have not had much love lately. Have to say I am wondering why I let them sit around. Currently out of the IEM's I have on hand these really are the nicest sounding. When I get my UE900 back then that will change but out of what still have on hand they are really stand ahead of the crowd. I may decide not to sell these and keep them along with the QC20 for IEM's, I also have a pair of Aurisonic Rockets coming in some day.

I can imagine how much nicer the H3 or the JVC850 are but I can't justify the cost difference especially since I spend more time with headphones these days.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,867 of 3,257
just got mine the other day and it really awkwardly shaped, but more comfortable than the UE 900. The cables are nice and 2 tone, but im going to return them even though it was 250. The sound isnt as good as I thought it would be and the weird design makes it annoying to put it in and out of my ear. Finally the warranty is trash, only 90 days.... everyone else has 2 years!!! Maybe I should wait for the W40 to drop in price hmmmm...

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #1,868 of 3,257
The warranty length is ridiculous. Thankfully, I was able to get them at the discount, and bought a 2 year warranty from Sony for $30. At $280, total, I'm very happy... even with its bulkiness. Heck, before I was given a price match adjustment at Adorama I was happy (originally paid $348). I doubt I would have bought the extended warranty from Sony without the price match, however.

As for you not liking them when compared to your UE900... different strokes for different folks. Use these, exclusively, for a week and then see what the results are when you go back.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #1,869 of 3,257
I am not sure how the H3 fit but if it is anything like the MDR7550 I found those to be an unusual but highly stable and comfortable design. Having said that I don't mind the UE900 either. The H1 is also pretty comfortable in my opinion.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #1,870 of 3,257
The H3 is probably one of the most fiddly earphone I've ever tried next to the M200 and R3. 

Finally finished my review and I'll be posting it very soon. Not really impressive if you dissect its performance but surprisingly an enjoyable sound overall.

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #1,871 of 3,257
  The H3 is probably one of the most fiddly earphone I've ever tried next to the M200 and R3. 

Finally finished my review and I'll be posting it very soon. Not really impressive if you dissect its performance but surprisingly an enjoyable sound overall.

Yeah  I kinda tend to agree that if you look at it purely from a technical performance point of view it doesn't seem that impressive, however taken as a whole I find its particular combination of qualities so enjoyable I often prefer it to my Shure E500s.

Has anyone heard these driven out of a DX50 (have been looking to get a budget DAP and it seems like at that price range it's either the Dx50 or the X3 ... and the X3 apparently has a warm sound which may not really match up to the already bassy H3).

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #1,872 of 3,257

I do think that fit is a very personal thing. While I am a "medium" tip for most IEMs, I find many IEMs which are shaped like the Shures or Westones too large for me. I can't fit a Shure 425 or a 535 comfortably and the Westone W40 just manages to fit. This means that I've not bothered to buy/try most of the new flagships bar the H3 and the Senn IE800

The "vertical" (?) design of the EX600/1000 and the H3 fits my ears rather well although they do jut out a bit. I can also fit the JVC FX850 for the same reason.

Kind regards

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #1,873 of 3,257

I do think that fit is a very personal thing. While I am a "medium" tip for most IEMs, I find many IEMs which are shaped like the Shures or Westones too large for me. I can't fit a Shure 425 or a 535 comfortably and the Westone W40 just manages to fit. This means that I've not bothered to buy/try most of the new flagships bar the H3 and the Senn IE800

The "vertical" (?) design of the EX600/1000 and the H3 fits my ears rather well although they do jut out a bit. I can also fit the JVC FX850 for the same reason.

Kind regards

They do fit me alright but just takes time to properly set them. Once they're in, its all good.

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #1,874 of 3,257

They do fit me alright but just takes time to properly set them. Once they're in, its all good.

Cool. My technique to fit the H3 is: 1. lift the memory wire; 2. jab the IEM in the ear, 3. pull down on the memory wire. Works for me 
smily_headphones1.gif
 because the medium (green) hybrid tip happens to be just right for me.

Kind regards

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,875 of 3,257
I (thankfully) haven't had any problems with the H3 fit. It sits snugly and did so right out of the box :)

I also got the ATH IM50 around the same time and their fit is something I am still struggling with. These are HUGE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back