Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Apr 21, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,876 of 3,257
I (thankfully) haven't had any problems with the H3 fit. It sits snugly and did so right out of the box
smily_headphones1.gif

I also got the ATH IM50 around the same time and their fit is something I am still struggling with. These are HUGE!

I agree. It takes practice to find a good fit. Also, the stock's tips are dookie because the stem is thick while the bore is small - combining with the big nozzle of the IM50 makes the diameter even wider. Finding another tips is recommended

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,878 of 3,257
  would you have any recommendations??

I've had the IM70 with these tips from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pairs-Hybrid-Replacement-Set-Eartips-Earbuds-for-Sony-XBA-MDR-DR-Series-JVC-/221401999941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338c966a45&nma=true&si=uH3AxA8Kh2tED%252F4L7b85gJ2M7QM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 for around 2 weeks and have no comfort issues so far - better, isolation is increased with these.
The tips should look like these

Make sure put it like this, not all the way up to the earphone's bore. The tips fit tightly enough so it won't move around. Hope it helps

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #1,880 of 3,257
Greetings,

I will be looking for an upgrade in 6 months, so I decided to start gathering information right now. I can get IE80, XBA-H3 and EX1000 at the same price, that is ~300 US Dollars. 

Currently I am using IE60 with iPod touch (that sounds dreadful to my years after two years listening with IE60), I do plan to change the player later. Can't say that I am not satisfied with IE60, my original plan was to go with IE80 but they were not available. As far as my playlist goes, I listen to jazz, progressive rock and classical music.

Please advise. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #1,881 of 3,257
I just got very lucky, Sony New Zealand had a sale and the XBA-H3's were $230 NZD, the bargain of the decade to be honest.

I am so impressed with these!,  out of the box they are sensational, I was expecting a bass monster judging from what I have read, but no they seem very balanced and they rival my UERM's to a certain degree.

they are certainly more pleasurable to my ears (and of course its a matter of opinion) than my westone 4's UM3x's and Grado gr10's

I am really impressed with these. 
atsmile.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #1,882 of 3,257
  Greetings,

I will be looking for an upgrade in 6 months, so I decided to start gathering information right now. I can get IE80, XBA-H3 and EX1000 at the same price, that is ~300 US Dollars.

Currently I am using IE60 with iPod touch (that sounds dreadful to my years after two years listening with IE60), I do plan to change the player later. Can't say that I am not satisfied with IE60, my original plan was to go with IE80 but they were not available. As far as my playlist goes, I listen to jazz, progressive rock and classical music.

Please advise.

Based on your chosen genres, you may want to look into the H300.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/708754/tour-t-peos-h-300-3-way-hybrid-australian-tour-thread-impressions-reviews

My review of the H3 will be posted in a day or two. So stay tuned...

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #1,883 of 3,257
Comply's do not work well with my H3's

I finally got the TS200's from comply.  I have used Comply's with other iem's and for the most part, felt they improved the experience. After listening to with them for several hours and then switching back to the Sony Hybrids, I have to say that the Sony's are definitely superior for the H3 EXCEPT for isolation where the Comply's are far better. Also somewhat easier to get a better seal with the Comply's (I have big ears and the largest Sony's are JUST big enough). This also makes the Comply's a little more secure. BUT as far as sound goes, the Sony's are simply much better. I think the Comply's tend to warm up the sound and fudge the bass which the H3's clearly don't need. (Yes I made sure the Comply's were not compressing the sound tube) Clarity with the Sony's is far superior, vocals are clearer and more forward and the treble has more bite without being harsh. Even the bass is better, the drums are sharper with more punch. I listened to Hurricane by Dylan 3 or 4 times with each tip - It's a great song for testing because of the huge variety of instruments, vocals and percussion (Also Hurricane Carter just passed away in Toronto so a bit of a tribute) So I'll be buying a backup set of the Sony's but it drives me nuts that you can only get them in a pack with S,M,L instead of being able to buy 3 pairs of Large. Why would anybody want to buy REPLACEMENT tips for iem's in a variety of sizes?  . 

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,884 of 3,257
Just curious - what's the difference bet Red and White if any?

Quote:
  I've had the IM70 with these tips from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pairs-Hybrid-Replacement-Set-Eartips-Earbuds-for-Sony-XBA-MDR-DR-Series-JVC-/221401999941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338c966a45&nma=true&si=uH3AxA8Kh2tED%252F4L7b85gJ2M7QM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 for around 2 weeks and have no comfort issues so far - better, isolation is increased with these.
The tips should look like these

Make sure put it like this, not all the way up to the earphone's bore. The tips fit tightly enough so it won't move around. Hope it helps

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #1,886 of 3,257
Currently out of stock but try the LL, light purple hybrid tips. I have large ears and these work great.

https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/viewItemDetail.do?operation=getItemDetail&itemID=662891&category=6&categoryName=Headphone

Comply's do not work well with my H3's

I finally got the TS200's from comply.  I have used Comply's with other iem's and for the most part, felt they improved the experience. After listening to with them for several hours and then switching back to the Sony Hybrids, I have to say that the Sony's are definitely superior for the H3 EXCEPT for isolation where the Comply's are far better. Also somewhat easier to get a better seal with the Comply's (I have big ears and the largest Sony's are JUST big enough). This also makes the Comply's a little more secure. BUT as far as sound goes, the Sony's are simply much better. I think the Comply's tend to warm up the sound and fudge the bass which the H3's clearly don't need. (Yes I made sure the Comply's were not compressing the sound tube) Clarity with the Sony's is far superior, vocals are clearer and more forward and the treble has more bite without being harsh. Even the bass is better, the drums are sharper with more punch. I listened to Hurricane by Dylan 3 or 4 times with each tip - It's a great song for testing because of the huge variety of instruments, vocals and percussion (Also Hurricane Carter just passed away in Toronto so a bit of a tribute) So I'll be buying a backup set of the Sony's but it drives me nuts that you can only get them in a pack with S,M,L instead of being able to buy 3 pairs of Large. Why would anybody want to buy REPLACEMENT tips for iem's in a variety of sizes?  . 

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #1,887 of 3,257
Apr 23, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #1,890 of 3,257

Thanks for the good read! I completely agree on the significance of the tape mod.

You're welcome!

Yeah, the improvements the tape mod brought to the H3 is a lot more significant than what it did with the MH1.
Truly impressed! I can believe Sony didn't implement a better bass port design to achieve the same result as the tape mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back