Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Apr 26, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #1,891 of 3,257
Hello, I'm looking for advice which  iem's i should buy. I'm new to iem's, i had just few and not verry expensive.

So right now I'm choosing between these three (i will write how much they cost in my country) - Sony XBA-H1 : 80, Sony XBA-H3 :150 and Audio-Technica ATH-CKX9iS : 90.
I'm listening mostly to rock, hard rock and a bit metal.

So my first question is which of these three iem's would you recommend for this kind of music and the second question is, if u recommend XBA-H3 i want to know if they are significantly better in sound quality compared to H1 and CKX9iS, considering the fact that H3 cost 60-70 more. I want to know that if i would choose H3 if they are really worth the 70 more, i have money for them but if there is just slight difference in sound quality compared to H1 and CKX9iS i dont want to pay so much more for them.

Well, that should be everything i want to know, i thank you for every advice u give me and sorry for my english i hope i didn't make much mistakes
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #1,892 of 3,257
I've never heard the H1 or Audio technica. But the H3, after lots of burn-in, sound like you're listening to music in a room. They seem to "disappear" as the source of sound. The sound is separated, wide, and they often seem to put these small, minor sounds at the edge of your ear. It's very non-fatiguing and pleasing to listen to. Just about everything I listen to sounds good with it, because of that "disappearing" effect. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #1,893 of 3,257
Just want to say, I lurked around here for while and bought my h3 mint, open box a little over month ago. These are my first real pair of iems. My first decent iems, a set of s4is.. Absolutely no comparison....these are an iem for a more mature listener. It's obvious, these were either a demo pair or the other owner gave them no chance at all.

After one month with these earphones, I am VERY happy with them. They sound incredible. They sound even better after a month.. My only DAP is an iphone 5, unamped, using EQu as the music player. I copied the sound curve from accudio/golden ears into EQu, as EQu, to my ears, preserves more of the nuances that the accudio app seems to gloss over for some reason. Then, I progold' every connection in the mix.. It makes a difference. It sounds fantastic, even if my iphone 5 is not considered to be audiophile grade..

I'm thinking about upgrading the cable, but I like the metal ear wrapping on the stock cable and keeps them in my ear with a good seal.. I'm worried that an upgraded cable might be to stiff and make them pop out of my ears, or keep me from getting a good seal. I'm looking at that silver love cable. Any thoughts?

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #1,895 of 3,257
Btw-!as great as these earphones are, anyone else feel like the connector from the cable to the actual ear phone is a little flimsy? My right side seems more loose than the left one. :frowning2: the left side has minimal side to side to side movement, while the right has both side to side and up and down movement. They work flawlessly, and sound amazing, but I don't like that. Anybody else notice the connectors wiggle ?

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #1,896 of 3,257
Btw-!as great as these earphones are, anyone else feel like the connector from the cable to the actual ear phone is a little flimsy? My right side seems more loose than the left one. :frowning2: the left side has minimal side to side to side movement, while the right has both side to side and up and down movement. They work flawlessly, and sound amazing, but I don't like that. Anybody else notice the connectors wiggle ?

I've not exactly handled them with kid's gloves, but they both seem to be pretty solidly attached, with only a tiny bit of side to side movement (maybe 1 - 1.5mm).

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,898 of 3,257

I've noticed that also... I didn't bother getting a replacement on mine, though. I'd miss it too much.

May 1, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #1,901 of 3,257
That's interesting, no midbass elevation as we all thought before........

May 1, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #1,902 of 3,257
need some help to pair the h3 with a dac, they sound a little too bright or sparkle from df 1.2, heard audioengine d3 could be good, but the 10ohm output impedance worries me.
They sounds better straight from my sony z2 :)

May 1, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #1,904 of 3,257
I am with you Magnepan Man. I would say my starting point for serious headphone audio began with the s4i before i knew about headfi and did research on cnet, consumer reports, and so on...
I started with joker's thread and figured I would start with BAs for something different and go more analytical. Then i came back to the dual dynamic beast kef m200. Naturally, my next step I went hybrid and got this Sony H3!!
So, yes, absolutely no comparison to the s4i! Here is to the headfi journey :beers:

May 1, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #1,905 of 3,257
  need some help to pair the h3 with a dac, they sound a little too bright or sparkle from df 1.2, heard audioengine d3 could be good, but the 10ohm output impedance worries me.
They sounds better straight from my sony z2 :)

i hear the DF 1.0 is more dynamic... i may get one myself.
I am with you Magnepan Man. I would say my starting point for serious headphone audio began with the s4i before i knew about headfi and did research on cnet, consumer reports, and so on...
I started with joker's thread and figured I would start with BAs for something different and go more analytical. Then i came back to the dual dynamic beast kef m200. Naturally, my next step I went hybrid and got this Sony H3!!
So, yes, absolutely no comparison to the s4i! Here is to the headfi journey :beers:

m200 are great, an audiofiles basshead phone. H3 in comparison is very in your face, gets your attention. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back