Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Aug 16, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2,537 of 3,257

There are different versions of the S3 though, and it's possible that some of them aren't as flat.

Not likely as it's easy to make stuff that has a flat FR, You can check on Golden Ears, all versions of the S3 LTE are flat.
IMO its biggest problem is having nearly 4 Ohms output impedance and not having sufficient damping when using IEMs or cans of less than 32 Ohms, like XBA-3 or XBA-4 IEMs. It doesn't seem to have gobs of power, then again most smartphones are lacking in this department.

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #2,538 of 3,257
Too much amp power = drains battery. Smartphones these days don't last long enough like last years, so yeah :frowning2: unless someone develop an audiophile phone. All it contain is top notch DAC and amp combo, mic that records 24/192, DSD and DXD playback. :D

No wifi, no Bluetooth or any fancy features that smartphones these day has haha

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #2,540 of 3,257
  Is the Sansa Clip able to reasonably drive the XBA-H3s?

With an alternative cable, can the XBA-H3s be worn straight down?

I think they stick out too far to me worn cable down. Just the tips would never hold it in place. The hangers are what make the H3 the most comfortable iem ... one that is so light you won't notice it's there after 5mins into your music.

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #2,541 of 3,257
Ag
I think they stick out too far to me worn cable down. Just the tips would never hold it in place. The hangers are what make the H3 the most comfortable iem ... one that is so light you won't notice it's there after 5mins into your music.

Agree. The H3's are one of my most comfortable iem's the hangers are much better than some of the memory wire cables out there and the H3's are extremely light for their size.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #2,543 of 3,257
I'm also really digging Ayla Nereo's vocals in Wildlight.
a3515004816_2.jpg

http://aylanereo.bandcamp.com/album/hers-was-as-thunder

You guys need to try this free album on the h3. I think it really captures all strengths of the IEM.

Just put $0 for buy price and it'll give you a dload link. Make sure you're getting it in Flac

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #2,544 of 3,257
I just received my XBA-H3s and am grinning ear-to-ear while listening to them right now - totally awesome! They have very quick attack, certainly aren't overly sub-bass heavy, and definitely not flabby. I am most surprised by how smooth the mid-range is. For whatever reason, I was expecting a less forward, grainy mid-range.

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #2,545 of 3,257
Honestly I can't stand the mids on the H3s. I like the bass and the highs, even though overall it's too bass-y for my taste; the comfort is great; the build is nice; the color (shiny grey, red and black) just makes me the most noticeable person in the room. The mid spoils it all. I think the H3s are quite good for music with a lot of synth (God Is An Astronaut, Foster the People, Modern Talking etc.). Since I don't spend most of my time listening to bands like these, I passed it on. IMHO, the H3s are quite overpriced.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #2,550 of 3,257
  Honestly I can't stand the mids on the H3s. I like the bass and the highs, even though overall it's too bass-y for my taste; the comfort is great; the build is nice; the color (shiny grey, red and black) just makes me the most noticeable person in the room. The mid spoils it all. I think the H3s are quite good for music with a lot of synth (God Is An Astronaut, Foster the People, Modern Talking etc.). Since I don't spend most of my time listening to bands like these, I passed it on. IMHO, the H3s are quite overpriced.

The mids may not be forward enough for some but one thing the H3's are not is over priced. The quality is top notch, 2 removable cables, etc and the sound is competitive with anything else in their price range and a lot of iem's selling for more $. If the sound sig is not to your liking has nothing to do with the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back