Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #76 of 474
  but the PHA-1A is still way out of my budget.
to be honest, the A3 has been selling pretty bad in Hong Kong, they take the price to about 230 USD, which i consider affordable. but man i can't really spend 300 USD on an dac amp to assist a 230 USD headphone.
im currently looking for about 200 USD budget and i saw there's a jp ver. of the onkyo DAC-HA200 sells for 196 USD on amazon which ship freely to HK, thats why i ask for this amp specifically.
are there any dac amp you guys would consider great with the A3 and still within the 200 USD budget?

I'll actually be in Hong Kong during the weekend, and if the A3s are indeed only 230USD I might go hunt for a pair. Are the A3s really that cheap now or is this some under-the-table deal?

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #77 of 474
I'll actually be in Hong Kong during the weekend, and if the A3s are indeed only 230USD I might go hunt for a pair. Are the A3s really that cheap now or is this some under-the-table deal?
Tell them you can pay 1,900 HKD.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #78 of 474
I like these a lot, but that design is really awkward - the last thing I want is to have my listening pleasure interrupted having to constantly readjust - I just noticed that the A2 are a design that I can maybe make work for me fit-wise. As I hadn't considered them at all I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, does anyone please have some input in the A2-A3 sound comparison before I get to try them?

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #79 of 474
I like these a lot, but that design is really awkward - the last thing I want is to have my listening pleasure interrupted having to constantly readjust - I just noticed that the A2 are a design that I can maybe make work for me fit-wise. As I hadn't considered them at all I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, does anyone please have some input in the A2-A3 sound comparison before I get to try them?
well the A2 has less bass.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #80 of 474
Look for some threads I posted in, the 2nd post in this thread has some links. I've had both the A2 and A3 at the same time. I sent the A2 back because it's not as comfortable and has microphonics, both due to the cable design. The A3's over ear wires are much more comfortable and have much less microphonics. Although I preferred the A2's sound slightly more, I just couldn't live with them while using them throughout a work day. They sound very similar but the A3 has a bit more bass presence.

FYI, I'm a big fan of Sony's over ear cable designs.

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #81 of 474

It's stable when I don't move around haha.

The constant re-adjust have to do with the ear-tips and insertion, but more towards insertion. Initially I had that problem too and having to re-adjust them every once in a while, while I was listening them on the train or moving around. But once I found the best way to insert them, all my problem is fixed. Took me one insertion whenever I put them on now.

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #82 of 474
Look for some threads I posted in, the 2nd post in this thread has some links. I've had both the A2 and A3 at the same time. I sent the A2 back because it's not as comfortable and has microphonics, both due to the cable design. The A3's over ear wires are much more comfortable and have much less microphonics. Although I preferred the A2's sound slightly more, I just couldn't live with them while using them throughout a work day. They sound very similar but the A3 has a bit more bass presence.

FYI, I'm a big fan of Sony's over ear cable designs.

+1 For Sony's Over-The-Ear Design 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #83 of 474
Thanks for all your input - I remember at one of the stores I tried them at had an actual retail demo pair (cables not modified for anti-theft) in a cabinet with the high-end models - I'll try them for actual fit......fingers crossed they become instant friends with my ears

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #84 of 474

It's stable when I don't move around haha.

The constant re-adjust have to do with the ear-tips and insertion, but more towards insertion. Initially I had that problem too and having to re-adjust them every once in a while, while I was listening them on the train or moving around. But once I found the best way to insert them, all my problem is fixed. Took me one insertion whenever I put them on now.

How do you insert them, I also struggle with that too, readjusting them every now and them

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #85 of 474
Thnaks @Meth I have tried your suggestion on inserting them at a 90° angle (perpendicular to the ear) and i haven't readjusted them at all

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #87 of 474
 ​
 ​
Just wanna share my experience and voice out some thoughts. (1 month milestone). It's really an up and down journey for me with the A3. At first impression, the A3 seem overly bassy to me which I was not used to. Then came the appeal of the stock hook which I get stares from people, including feeling that the cable's a little lengthy. Then the fit hits me, ruining the experience having to re-adjust every once in a while(Took me 2-3 weeks to realize a perfect fitting method).

But the question here now for me is, is it all worth the try? HELL YEAH. I came from feeling superficial to purchase, to hating some factors about it, and now to loving everything about it. Now, it's just amazing highs, and the bass is just mmmm~. Switched eartips, switched cable and insertion method, now it's all just perfect.

The lesson I've learned. Sure, there may be things we all dislike about a certain IEM, but a fix is all it need. Who knows it may very well be the one you're looking for. So If you happen to dislike a earphone/headphone, give it time, do adjustments, try different tips/cable/insertion/DAP. It may very well be an end game earphone for you.

It's just like looking at your love of your life, I think it applies the same way. So, If you have someone you like. You go for it like you're looking at a 1k gem which only cost 200. If you're in a mist of a quarrel, fix em like you're fixing your IEM. And If you already with someone you love, go on and thank them, gave em a silent kiss as they're what made you perfect.

- Meth (Thoughts)

Music is love, music is bliss, music is life and it goes on

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #89 of 474
  So, are you guys stating that you really can't move around at all with these? Is fit really that tedious? Thanks for any replies

I did not find this to be the case when I had them (don't own anymore), so I will say it really depends on the individual. For me the fit was quite stable and comfortable. There were a few occasions I had to run to catch a bus while these were in my ears and the seal was actually intact! 

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #90 of 474
I don't think the fit is tedious but it might take you some time to figure out a good method. When I first got them I struggled a bit with the fit but now I can just pop em in, rotate them a bit and I'm done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back