Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #61 of 474
Thanks for the fast and insightful input! Is the sound signature of the A3's vastly different than then a SE535? And if so how is it different? From what I've read 535's are very rich sounding with excellent mid presence and highs. Would they be considered a step above the A3's in audio fidelity since they are still 100-200 dollars more expensive? Everything I've read and heard so far about the A3's are exactly what I want in my new portable dailiy iem. I wish it could double for stage monitoring, but it's okay if they have really good resolution.

IMO, honestly the 535 isn't worth the price tag, neither is the 425 or 315. Only the 215 and 846 are what they worth.

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #62 of 474
Does anyone have experience with the Sennheiser IE80 - are the A3 a deeper insertion than the IE80? Is there any/much sound leakage?

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #63 of 474
Thanks man!
I was wondering why Sony supplies the Z7 with kimber and not the z5 although both were released the same time.
I am guessing a new model will be out soon. Wonder what suprises lay ahead!
XBA-A3 is the worst monitoring headphone you can get lol. No isolation at all and it will fall out of your ear if you're moving around on stage. I use the SE215 with Sensaphonics Custom Shell for stage performances. 

The cable is much better built and has 8-braid rather than the 4-braid. I haven't done any direct A/B comparisons (I didn't want to keeping detaching the fragile connectors) but many have noted that the High Performance Cable is a worthy upgrade.

It is not a Kimber Kable unfortunately.

I hear you. I do that to my vegetables with no mercy:pizza:
No is not kiber as i know, it's sony made, but sounds great that I like to spare the good things last and use first or eat the things i dont like first LOL

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #64 of 474
Does anyone have experience with the Sennheiser IE80 - are the A3 a deeper insertion than the IE80? Is there any/much sound leakage?

IE80 has better isolation and more comfortable to my ears. That said, I prefer the A3 sound over the IE80.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #65 of 474
IE80 has better isolation and more comfortable to my ears. That said, I prefer the A3 sound over the IE80.

I recently bought the IE80 and was hugely disappointed in them. I was unable to try before buying, so relied on reviews. They are of great quality and they don't sound bad, but I was very disappointed in the lack of sub-bass - regardless of tuning, and yes they are authentic - when I put the A3 on to try I couldn't help but smile at that low end. My only concern is how the A3 will sit in my ears, as I struggle to find a decent position with the IE80. I said in a previous post that the demo ones have all been modded so no one steals them - they seem to sit well in my ear, but how the actual ones sit is starting to concern me.

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #66 of 474
I recently bought the IE80 and was hugely disappointed in them. I was unable to try before buying, so relied on reviews. They are of great quality and they don't sound bad, but I was very disappointed in the lack of sub-bass - regardless of tuning, and yes they are authentic - when I put the A3 on to try I couldn't help but smile at that low end. My only concern is how the A3 will sit in my ears, as I struggle to find a decent position with the IE80. I said in a previous post that the demo ones have all been modded so no one steals them - they seem to sit well in my ear, but how the actual ones sit is starting to concern me.

Don't know if this helps, but here's how it looks and fit. The driver sits comfortably with the help of the over-ear guides. Guide's material is light, flexible and soft(really helps to keep the fit light and easy on the ears). Doesn't hurt my ear or feels fatiguing even after long period listening. With that being said, ear-tips plays a big part on the comfort. Personally I'm using the JVC Spiral Dot. The short, large bores enables it to go deeper for comfortability and better isolation. I also really liked the texture of the tips which feels smooth and soft, yet isolates firmly(unlike ear-tips which is soft & comfortable but always slips out).

Side-view (XBA-A3)

Back-view (XBA-A3)

JVC EP-FX9M-B Spiral Dot (Medium)

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #67 of 474
Don't know if this helps, but here's how it looks and fit. The driver sits comfortably with the help of the over-ear guides. Guide's material is light, flexible and soft(really helps to keep the fit light and easy on the ears). Doesn't hurt my ear or feels fatiguing even after long period listening. With that being said, ear-tips plays a big part on the comfort. Personally I'm using the JVC Spiral Dot. The short, large bores enables it to go deeper for comfortability and better isolation. I also really liked the texture of the tips which feels smooth and soft, yet isolates firmly(unlike ear-tips which is soft & comfortable but always slips out).

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Side-view (XBA-A3)

Back-view (XBA-A3)

JVC EP-FX9M-B Spiral Dot (Medium)

Thanks very much for that Meth, that's very helpful. I have found the previous (older) Sony iems I've owned to sit nicely, and was concerned to hear about possible insertion issues. I already got the Spiral Dot tips to try to help with the IE80, I was planning to use those anyway.

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #68 of 474

That's how i do look with them, (facing selfie front view), they do stick out quite a bit

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #69 of 474
It's a shame that with all the low profile designs out there eg. Shure 535, Sennheiser IE80, Westones etc that Sony ended up with such an awkward protruding design

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #70 of 474
It's a shame that with all the low profile designs out there eg. Shure 535, Sennheiser IE80, Westones etc that Sony ended up with such an awkward protruding design

Yes and they seem to have done this since the ÉX series made of aluminum (the ones that look like the Earbuds included with the 2007 sony walkman A818), IMHO they should have done like the Rhapsodio solar or some brands that make multi-drver IEM thick shell but that fits the whole ear area

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #71 of 474
I don't think they're easing up on the bolt-like design just yet. The newer XBA-300 has similar design cues, just a matter of over ears or straight down. Sound is awesome no complaints, but most of the time I have to sit still to appreciate the music. Can't lie down and can't do simple chores... ergonomics and aerodynamics should be improved.

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #72 of 474
I don't think they're easing up on the bolt-like design just yet. The newer XBA-300 has similar design cues, just a matter of over ears or straight down. Sound is awesome no complaints, but most of the time I have to sit still to appreciate the music. Can't lie down and can't do simple chores... ergonomics and aerodynamics should be improved.

So you have issues with getting a comfortable/stable fit? I listen to music when I do the housework, It's really frustrating having to constantly re-adjust

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #73 of 474

So you have issues with getting a comfortable/stable fit? I listen to music when I do the housework, It's really frustrating having to constantly re-adjust

I don't get any issues of comfort at all

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #74 of 474

It's stable when I don't move around haha.

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #75 of 474
It's not really the comfort, it's more to do with not having to constantly re-adjust. I'm in Japan at the moment - I just spent the last hour trying the xba-300, A-Bing with the A3. I quite like them, they're about $85 (in my currency) cheaper, and there is potential for a more secure fit - desicions, desicions......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back