Sony XB1000 vs audio technica pro 700 mk2 vs beyerdynamic dt770 pro-80
Jun 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Spaceman24

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everybody, this is my first thread so don't be too critical. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I have been searching for some medium range headphones (~$200) with awesome bass ( punchy, powerful, and super deep) while still having great mids and highs. However, I'm mainly looking for bass since I almost only listen to dubstep and a little hip hop and rock. I have been scouring the whole web and other forums, but no one did a head-to-head with the 'phones in the title and there seems to be many mixed opinions. I realize sound is subjective to individual tastes, so I'll try my best to describe what I want: high quality MASSIVE bass, clear mids, and NO sibilance (unless it can be eq'd out) and yeah that's about it. I will only be using it at home, so size is no issue. I will also be getting a portable amp (probably zo2, or fiio e6/11) and be playing through my iphone 4. I welcome suggestions, but I am pretty decided on these three.

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 21
The XB1000's don't have the deep bass you are looking for, it is more refined. Plus they run for like 239~ new.

The Pro700MkII's have massive bass as well as a great soundstage, but there fatal flaw is that they are horribly uncomfortable, the cones protecting the drivers dig right into your ears.

The 770's deliver that massive bass, without drastically sacriaficing sound quality (mids, highs) and keeping the sound refined. Basically has all you want. Not to mention they are extremely comfortable. The amp you have in mind should be fine, improving the highs, making them more crisp as they tend to be slightly tinny in my opinion in-amped, causing a harsh response. In-amped however, they still have one of the best bass responses out there in my opinion.

If you want to save a bit of money, however, I would suggest the Sony XB500's. They have a very prominent low end and don't kill the quality like the Beats. They are a little muddy in the mid range and they slightly drown out vocals. If you are an electronic listener, then this shouldn't be a problem. Plus they only run for about 60~ dollars, and you won't need an amp. Don't let the 40 ohms on the 500's scare you. They lose sound quality when amped.

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 21
I am also very interested in the XB1000 and very disapointed to know that they do not have a deep bass.

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 21
i thought the defining characteristic of the xb1000's was its monstrously extended, deep sub bass? what it doesnt have from what i've read is any real hard hitting slam or kick, dont quote me on any of this tho, i never heard them just what i think i've read through a couple of threads

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 21
why don't u have xb700s in there?

I even tried the 500s vs the 700s and I'd still say 700 is an outperformer for bass!

Pair it with a fiio E11 for true rumbling thunderous seismic boomy bass.

I mean it!

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 21
Wow thanks for all the suggestions!:thumbsup: OK, here is where i'm at now: no xb1000, maybe xb700, leaning strongly toward dt770's, unsure on pro700 mk2's since I heard you can make it more comfortable with m50 pads. So, aside from comfort, which of these (xb700, dt770, pro 700 mk2) would be best? Thanks so much!:musical_note:

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 21
The Dt-770's by far. they are my favorite out of the three. I own the XB500's (on my head right now), and they don't even come close to the bass that the 770's offer. Good uck with whatever you choose.

(Even with the M50 pads, the MkII's are still too uncomfortable for extended use, all because of the infamous AT head-clamp)

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 21
That's the only thing that they are pretty on par with each other. The MkII's are very... Glassy to me.. They have a very cold sound signature to me, whereas the 770's have a warmer, more vibrant signature.

It all depends on the listeners preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back