SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Nov 18, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #886 of 2,082
@ryanmatic are you still using this EQ? ...I just listened to School by Supertramp with your EQ settings above. I closed my eyes, ANC on, and it was really quite magical (for lack of a better word) - I got chills up my spine when the song peaks at 3:15. Everything was in perfect balance. Really an enjoyable listen!

I am indeed! I find it to be a good balance between details, coherency, and liveliness. Glad it’s been working well for ya, too. I feel the same in that the stellar ANC, along with how pleasant AAC sounds, make me just drift away into whatever song I’m listening to.

Nov 18, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #887 of 2,082
The XM2s are on sale here in Toronto for $299 on Black Friday. Do you guys think that's a good price or just go all out on the XM3s?
Just go for XM3 it ANC alone already a class above XM2 :)

Nov 19, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #888 of 2,082
Can confirm i've been experiencing issues with the touch panel randomly triggering actions when outside in the cold. I thought i was the only one experiencing this ha. I have experienced all sorts of random actions being triggered from Siri being activated on my Iphone x(The most common), to the playback suddenly muting itself etc. Mind you, i do live in the Windy City (Chicago for those that don't know :)) and while it doesn't happen all the time, It's extremely inconvenient when trying to talk to someone or even pausing these damn things. The wind effect causes the device to somehow fail to register my taps to pause the playback.

Now that confirms what I've experienced this morning in Paris (2°C this morning), just one random pause but I didn't know where it was coming from ! Hope they can fix it in a future firmware release.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #889 of 2,082
I just wish that the capacitive touch controls had a sensitivity setting of some sort. I think i read the upcoming Beyerdynamic Lagoon will have that specific setting. Its just super annoying to be walking down the street and Siri just randomly gets activated or your music pauses/plays randomly. One of the primary reasons why i bought these were to use for commutes in the cold weather. I also noticed something odd when receiving phone calls over voip (whatsapp calls). When i picked up the call, my Iphone x wouldn't give me the option to select my connected Headphones for output. I suspect that is an issue with iOS and whatsapp's UI though.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #891 of 2,082
I hope it's just my XM3's but I have come across a few posts complaining about the exact same thing. Could it be due to the new smoother finish on the outer ear cups vs the previous leather style finish on the XM2's?
As i mentioned earlier, it doesn't occur as often but when it does, its quite annoying.

Nov 19, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #892 of 2,082
The XM2s are on sale here in Toronto for $299 on Black Friday. Do you guys think that's a good price or just go all out on the XM3s?
If you're going to spend $299, I'd say just got for the extra comfort, better sound, and improved ANC of the XM3. It does feel more "plastic", but fabrication is really good and it's a "quality electronic device".

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #893 of 2,082
I hope it's just my XM3's but I have come across a few posts complaining about the exact same thing. Could it be due to the new smoother finish on the outer ear cups vs the previous leather style finish on the XM2's?
As i mentioned earlier, it doesn't occur as often but when it does, its quite annoying.

I read a post by another user elsewhere in which they theorize this is because of cold wind making contact with the warm circuitry inside the cups. Supposedly Sony advertised the XM3 to be four times more capable the XM2, but that means it heats up four times as much.

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #894 of 2,082
Yup, phantom controls have happened twice outside with these. A very windy day turned on the talk-thru function (that I couldn't turn off) and today it just adjusted the volume one step. I don't want to think about how disappointed this makes me because I also use these while commuting, and we're just starting the cold weather season.

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #895 of 2,082
Yup, phantom controls have happened twice outside with these. A very windy day turned on the talk-thru function (that I couldn't turn off) and today it just adjusted the volume one step. I don't want to think about how disappointed this makes me because I also use these while commuting, and we're just starting the cold weather season.
Is this just a issue with the X3? I have the X2 and I was out blowing leaves the other day at it was 7 degrees here in Minnesota and it was a little windy and no issues .They keep my ears toasty outside when its cold..

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #896 of 2,082
Im close to giving up and returning these. The ANC is excellent, the sound quality very good after applying some eq, and they sure are comfy as hell. Before these i had the B&W P7 Wireless and although they did have the better sound signature for me(possibly the best i've heard in a wireless headphone), i couldn't wear them for over 15-20 mins at a time without having my head starting to fatigue and pain where the headband touched my head.
I had more instances of the wind randomly triggering actions today. One time it continuously kept pausing and playing my music and the other one it triggered Siri as usual. Only happens when i'm outside or walking. Im going to return them back to Target as they're still under the 30 day return policy but since they're so hard to get anywhere, i might wait a couple weeks in hopes of picking up a more reliable unit :-/

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #899 of 2,082
Awesome, thanks for the update. I'm sure you will really like that album, really good music and quite well recorded I think. Let me know what you think once you get some time listening. Cheers.
Received the CD :)

At default flac ripped play at S9+ max volume, Christian McBride double bass a bit more to the liking, EQ 500hz -1dB, 250hz -2dB, 125hz -1dB.

Then had the flac file volume gain by 50%, oh my you were right, Christian McBride double bass now sounded way too much, EQ to 500hz -2dB, 250hz -3dB, 125hz -2dB, 60hz -1dB, all of them can be further adjusted to another -1dB range, if wanted to make it sound like a 5" woofer.

20181120_071839-1200x1600.jpg
Pat Metheny Day Trip 2.jpg

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #900 of 2,082
@NewForce What do you think of the music? I like most of the album very much and it strikes me as essentially very well recorded and mastered. Let me know if you think overall that by adjusting the bass down for other material as well that you find the xM3 to improve. As you know, I found it night and day better. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back