SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Nov 16, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #871 of 2,082
There seem to be issues with cold weather usage according to this thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/portable-audio/sony-wh-1000xm3-muting-in-the-cold/m-p/2534947

Anyone can confirm?
I live in one of the coldest capital cities in the world and winter is starting so over the next few weeks I'll be able to test it. I'm sure it has been colder here already than it will ever get in the UK, but that is an assumption mostly. Truthfully I don't know what the weather extremes are in the UK.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #872 of 2,082
I live in one of the coldest capital cities in the world and winter is starting so over the next few weeks I'll be able to test it. I'm sure it has been colder here already than it will ever get in the UK, but that is an assumption mostly. Truthfully I don't know what the weather extremes are in the UK.

What I find odd is that even though that is a UK site, there are people from Toronto making posts. Apparently it’s falling below freezing there.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #873 of 2,082

There are capacitive panels rate for operational temperatures as lot as -40C. -10C/14F should be reasonable for modern non-specialized stuff.
I guess anyone brave can always put it on the freezer for a few hours and see how it behaves. Probably not a good idea for the pleather :p

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #874 of 2,082
I've use mine in ~45F (~7-8C) and haven't noticed any issues, but I also don't use the touch controls very often. I've also worn them during intense winds with no false activations (that wind-cancellation effect is awesome though!)

That being said, I haven't run into issues with them while wearing different hoods either

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #875 of 2,082
What I find odd is that even though that is a UK site, there are people from Toronto making posts. Apparently it’s falling below freezing there.
Yes, I'm close to Toronto (4 hours apart) and the temperature here has been below freezing for at least a week I believe. Not very cold, but below freezing. I'm feeling for one of my professors who just took and job here after having grown up and been teaching in California (LA). He and his family are in for a thermal shock to be sure!

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #876 of 2,082
@Sonic Defender, I've just looked at your signature, now I finally understand why you and I agreed on some facts, at the same time different experience on XM3.

I'm using Samsung S9+ as my main listening source, could have lead to our differences. If I would EQ S9+ 250hz at -4dB, 125hz at -3dB and 63hz at -2dB, then most of my audiophile recordings CD bass sounded like a 5" woofer tight articulate bass, which makes Double Bass will sound a bit like a Cello.

Think I would agreed with you, XM3 bass does bloom a bit at bass, but it certainly does not sounded like some claimed it was Bass-Head tuned, which I strongly disagree such statement.

With Samsung S9+, I'm quite happy with 250hz at -2dB, 125hz at -1dB and 63hz at -2dB, for audiophiles recordings CD. For modern pop CD's, bass need further EQ to -6dB or even -8dB.

BTW, I've just ordered Pat Metheny Day Trip CD from overseas since none of Singapore CD stores carrying it anymore. I should have it by next week :)

Nov 16, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #877 of 2,082
@Sonic Defender, I've just looked at your signature, now I finally understand why you and I agreed on some facts, at the same time different experience on XM3.

I'm using Samsung S9+ as my main listening source, could have lead to our differences. If I would EQ S9+ 250hz at -4dB, 125hz at -3dB and 63hz at -2dB, then most of my audiophile recordings CD bass sounded like a 5" woofer tight articulate bass, which makes Double Bass will sound a bit like a Cello.

Think I would agreed with you, XM3 bass does bloom a bit at bass, but it certainly does not sounded like some claimed it was Bass-Head tuned, which I strongly disagree such statement.

With Samsung S9+, I'm quite happy with 250hz at -2dB, 125hz at -1dB and 63hz at -2dB, for audiophiles recordings CD. For modern pop CD's, bass need further EQ to -6dB or even -8dB.

BTW, I've just ordered Pat Metheny Day Trip CD from overseas since none of Singapore CD stores carrying it anymore. I should have it by next week :)
Awesome, thanks for the update. I'm sure you will really like that album, really good music and quite well recorded I think. Let me know what you think once you get some time listening. Cheers.

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #878 of 2,082
Can confirm i've been experiencing issues with the touch panel randomly triggering actions when outside in the cold. I thought i was the only one experiencing this ha. I have experienced all sorts of random actions being triggered from Siri being activated on my Iphone x(The most common), to the playback suddenly muting itself etc. Mind you, i do live in the Windy City (Chicago for those that don't know :)) and while it doesn't happen all the time, It's extremely inconvenient when trying to talk to someone or even pausing these damn things. The wind effect causes the device to somehow fail to register my taps to pause the playback.

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #879 of 2,082
Can confirm i've been experiencing issues with the touch panel randomly triggering actions when outside in the cold. I thought i was the only one experiencing this ha. I have experienced all sorts of random actions being triggered from Siri being activated on my Iphone x(The most common), to the playback suddenly muting itself etc. Mind you, i do live in the Windy City (Chicago for those that don't know :)) and while it doesn't happen all the time, It's extremely inconvenient when trying to talk to someone or even pausing these damn things. The wind effect causes the device to somehow fail to register my taps to pause the playback.
Sounds like it's time to make that move to California. Today was a chili 70. I nearly had to put a shirt over my tank top. Nearly. :)

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #880 of 2,082
Ahh I think about moving to California quite a bit especially when the eternal cold weather starts here and seems to linger till April-May :p. It was in the low 20's a couple days ago and we're supposed to get some snow over the weekend. I don't blame our Canadian neighbors when they start complaining about temperatures.

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #881 of 2,082
Sounds like it's time to make that move to California. Today was a chili 70. I nearly had to put a shirt over my tank top. Nearly. :)
Temperatures in the SF Bay Area have been nice, but we're having other problems.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envi...aqi-san-francisco-worst-air-quality-world-epa

RS33891_SFBridge-qut-1020x680.jpg

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #882 of 2,082
Nov 18, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #884 of 2,082
Sure. This is what I’ve been using:

xm3_eq_3.jpeg

To my ear, it’s similar to the P7W signature but with a bit less midbass.

@ryanmatic are you still using this EQ? I just picked up the XM3’s and am gonna give them a shot. I’m in the iPhone camp so will be using AAC and am playing around with the EQ .

I just listened to School by Supertramp with your EQ settings above. I closed my eyes, ANC on, and it was really quite magical (for lack of a better word) - I got chills up my spine when the song peaks at 3:15. Everything was in perfect balance. Really an enjoyable listen! I took the headphones off afterwards and was surprised to hear the kids running and jumping and playing upstairs above me. Of course I want the ANC for my work commute and not to drown out the kids but it does a remarkable job of the latter :wink:

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #885 of 2,082
The XM2s are on sale here in Toronto for $299 on Black Friday. Do you guys think that's a good price or just go all out on the XM3s?

Somewhat depends on your goals. Check out my recent post on M1/M2 vs M3. If the difference in performance matters to you then it's worth getting the M3. Otherwise discounted M2s might offer much better value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back