SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Nov 24, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #916 of 2,082
Is AAC exempt from transcoding in this case? I figured it would be since it’s an actual file format that the headphones understand natively, whereas SBC/aptX/LDAC are transmission protocols.
I haven't fact checked it, but there are members on this forum who claim that there is transcoding even when playing an AAC file through the AAC Bluetooth codec, the reason being that the system is always running audio through a sound mixer to include alerts and other sounds. This means all audio is first transcoded to PCM, run through the mixer, then transcoded to the Bluetooth codec.

Nov 24, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #917 of 2,082
I trimmed around 190Hz I think by close to 4db, I also trimmed around 125Hz down about 3db and finally I think it was around 60Hz taken down about 1.5db. Experiment around those frequencies. Find a track with a repeating bassline that is clearly problematic. Start with one cut and drag the handle for the frequency around and see as the frequency changes if you like the effect. You can change the frequency and amplitude of the cut at the same time so if you find a good spot to settle on for a frequency, try adjusting how much you cut and see. Sometimes less of a cut is good, sometimes not. Then after you dial in what works, try another frequency unless the one cut is enough for you, we all hear somewhat differently so my preference may not be yours. I don't find the fun was taken out of them at all, it just became a more accurate "fun" sounding headphone in my opinion.

Thanks for the insights, Sonic! Much appreciated. I’ll play around and test your suggestions as a start and reply eventually. Danke!

Nov 24, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #918 of 2,082
No it will pass the digital signal via Bluetooth and bypass the on-board DAC. The digital-to-analog conversion will be handled by the DAC in the headphones.

The Bluetooth receiver (headphones) does all the work so even a good smartphone makes an excellent source.

I'd like to clarify that the original digital input doesn't pass straight through. It will be recoded and compressed by the Bluetooth codec (SBC, aptX, LDAC, etc) for transmission over the limited Bluetooth bandwidth. However, the signal remains digital until it gets to the digital-to-analog converter on the headphone.

thanks for the answers, I finally got the XM3, I really like it and was wondering what DAC was it using

Nov 24, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #919 of 2,082
thanks for the answers, I finally got the XM3, I really like it and was wondering what DAC was it using
I believe it is a Sony in house developed DAC, but I could be wrong. Interesting question so hopefully somebody who knows will chime in. I think Sony does a great deal of such technologies in-house so I would be surprised if they used an off-the-shelf chip for DA conversion, but you never know.

Nov 24, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #921 of 2,082
I believe it is a Sony in house developed DAC, but I could be wrong. Interesting question so hopefully somebody who knows will chime in. I think Sony does a great deal of such technologies in-house so I would be surprised if they used an off-the-shelf chip for DA conversion, but you never know.

interesting , it looks like the DAC is the QN1 chip, it really improves the quality on the source, even though if it is just aptX or SBC(?), probably the DSEE effect?

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #922 of 2,082
A small side note here; it was mentioned a while back that the XM3’s remember the EQ settings when switching devices. When switching between my iPhone and iPad, this is true. However, as soon as I connect to my Mac it nukes the setting. Listening on the Mac just uses the stock EQ. When I reconnect to my iPhone and open the Sony app, EQ is set to “Off”. This makes switching between multiple devices even more painful than it already is.

The random playback issues in sub 0 temperature (or whatever it is - and it’s not my coat because I had that thought at the time and my collar was not up) is also a pain. And they really struggle to maintain a good seal when walking outside and when my bus hits bumps, which causes the ANC to get confused. They’re not as “on the go” friendly as I was hoping for my specific daily use, unfortunately.

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #923 of 2,082
A small side note here; it was mentioned a while back that the XM3’s remember the EQ settings when switching devices. When switching between my iPhone and iPad, this is true. However, as soon as I connect to my Mac it nukes the setting. Listening on the Mac just uses the stock EQ. When I reconnect to my iPhone and open the Sony app, EQ is set to “Off”. This makes switching between multiple devices even more painful than it already is.
Your EQ settings should still be on the XM3, it just switches the EQ to OFF once you connect to a device that uses apt-X (which is what your Mac uses), apt-X HD, or LDAC. Agreed that it's a pain, though. One of the easiest and biggest improvements to the next iteration would be for Sony to pay the license fees (or fix whatever the holdup is) and allow multi-device pairing, along with an EQ that works for all codecs.

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #925 of 2,082
I completely missed this thread!

I have owned the M3s since launch pretty much and had the M2s before that. Regarding the sound quality and ANC as others have said they are impressive. I have issues with comfort though and specifically how hot my ears get. When first putting them on my initial impression was that these are more comfortable than the M2s but my ears get very hot using them on my daily commute and pretty much every time I remove them the pads are coated in sweat. Never got this on the M2s (or any other headphone for that matter)and it is not like I am running in them or anything. By comparison my Studio 3s are way more comfortable. It has got to the point where I am not using them at the moment.

The Studio 3s though do not sound quite as good and the ANC is not as good either, I find myself therefore considering the QC35s as they are currently £40 off in the sales. 3 sets of ANC headphones is perfectly acceptable right?

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #926 of 2,082
@NewForce What do you think of the music? I like most of the album very much and it strikes me as essentially very well recorded and mastered. Let me know if you think overall that by adjusting the bass down for other material as well that you find the xM3 to improve. As you know, I found it night and day better. Cheers.
After longer hrs listening to the CD, he & co seem like recorded the album after heavy breakfast ,it's a kind slow on most of the tracks. Don't get me wrong they play well, but I think I like 'As Falls Wichita, so Falls Wichita Falls' album more, maybe you should try it too and tell me what .

Yupp, you were right, XM3 indeed having slightly more bass when compare to other light bass BT headphones, using older quiet recording default ripped volume and listening at just 50-60% of default volume couldn't reveal more. Once the volume crank up additional 50% or 100% and listening at max S9+ volume, then XM3 bass begin to sound much boomy. Given this fact, all modern pop recordings are terrible bass heavy, by default ripped their bass already sounded very boomy, which I need to adjust bass EQ to -6dB~-8dB level, before can really hear them properly on S9+ and XM3 combo.

BTW, I more into fushion jazz like Fourplay, Earl Klugh, Lee Ritenor, Norman Brown, Marcus Miller and so on...

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #927 of 2,082
Ok, so more on the airplane time of testing ANC vs passive noise isolation.

If you are taking a large airplane with 3 columns of seats, there will be most engine noise (80dB).

If you take a small sized one with 2 colums of seats, there will be less noise (70dB).

The 80dB level is when you notice how well ANC does it's job compared to iem passive noise isolation.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #928 of 2,082
I had no issues at around 5C/41F in a long walk.

Out of curiosity, anyone operated the touchpad outdoors under strong winds but moderate temperatures? (0C/32F+) :)

Just wondering if it might be temperature, air pressure or perhaps a combo of both. Still puzzled tho, as the capacitive panel should be perfectly fine down to ridiculous temps. I didn't get to test it today but weather will go cold here (-2C/28F or lower) the upcoming week so I'll keep an eye on it.

So now I have to sub-zero test the new jacket and the new headphones. :dt880smile:

71BMxXW6PpL._UY741_.jpg
Are you from cold climates? I need to find a good cheap alternative to Canada Goose with more or less same level of warmth. Any recommendations?

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #930 of 2,082
Screenshot_20181127-091150_Poweramp.jpg
After longer hrs listening to the CD, he & co seem like recorded the album after heavy breakfast ,it's a kind slow on most of the tracks. Don't get me wrong they play well, but I think I like 'As Falls Wichita, so Falls Wichita Falls' album more, maybe you should try it too and tell me what .

Yupp, you were right, XM3 indeed having slightly more bass when compare to other light bass BT headphones, using older quiet recording default ripped volume and listening at just 50-60% of default volume couldn't reveal more. Once the volume crank up additional 50% or 100% and listening at max S9+ volume, then XM3 bass begin to sound much boomy. Given this fact, all modern pop recordings are terrible bass heavy, by default ripped their bass already sounded very boomy, which I need to adjust bass EQ to -6dB~-8dB level, before can really hear them properly on S9+ and XM3 combo.

BTW, I more into fushion jazz like Fourplay, Earl Klugh, Lee Ritenor, Norman Brown, Marcus Miller and so on...
We got somethin in common!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back