SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Nov 27, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #932 of 2,082
Nov 27, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #935 of 2,082
TLDR;
guys, which one is better in terms of SQ: sony1000xm3 or Bose 35 II? Did someone compare side by side?
Try this YouTube review,

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #938 of 2,082
I got these yesterday and the first impressions was decent. I don't really fancy the design, it looks somewhat bulky and awkward but the comfort is good. The pillows feels synthetic and somewhat cheap, just like the ones on Bose QC35. It might be a result of me being used to B&O BeoPlay which has some really nice leather. But I also find the leather on the Beats Studio3 Wireless to feel more authentic and higher quality?

ANC seems good. I won't go into a debate on whether they are better or worse compared to the Bose QC35. They both work fairly well but they won't block out noise completely. On my daily commute I will still be noticing some engine noise and people talking seems to be a thing that ANC still struggles with, especially cries from children and high pitched voice from womens seems to be a hard thing to deal with. It will lower the noise, but its nowhere near to blocking it but same goes for all other ANC headphones.

I don't really feel they do any worse or better than the Bose QC35, but I'm not doing a head-to-head comparison its just my overall feeling after using them for a day. The one great thing with these compared to the QC35 is the lack of that god awful feel of a vacuum when you have the ANC on. So the fact that they seem to do at least as well while not giving you the feeling of your head being stuck in a vacuum is a huge plus for the Sony WH-1000XM3 in my book. I just can't stand using the Bose QC35 for extended periods of time due to the feeling of your head, nose and ears being under some kind of awkward pressure like your sitting on a plane all day.

Overall sound quality seems decent. Seems to have clear audio and a decent soundstage. I dislike the enforced EQ on the Bose QC35 due to how they make spoken word / vocals sound. It just doesn't sound right on the QC35 and for me that listens to a lot of podcasts, audiobooks etc.. It's a dealbreaker for me. The Sony WH-1000XM3 does much better here. The sound doesn't blow me away, but it feels overall balanced and clear without any major flaws or drawbacks.

But these seem to have one major flaw... It looks like they are utterly useless when used in temperatures that creeps down to 3 degrees celsius or lower?! It didn't take more than 1 minute outside and the touch controls goes completely bunkers and haywire? Siri popping out of nowhere, activating attention mode and whatnot. Completely useless. And judging by the thread on Reddit and Sony's own supportforums this is a known issue and they are simply telling users not to use them when it's cold outside, when it's too much cold wind or when it's a high amount of humidity? Like really? According some some the previous models (WH-1000XM2) did not have the same issues? What's going on here? At least provide the option to simply deactivate the touch controls...

This is such a massive oversight. Coming from Sony (a company origin from Japan, with sub 0 degrees days for months every year, and with really high humidity and a rain season for months every year??) and for this asking price this is just pure nonsense it you ask me. I figure it can't be fixed in software, but at least give us a firmware update allowing for us to disable the touch controls to avoid the problem.

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #939 of 2,082
I've had no problems so far with touch on my xm3, been outside in down to -5 celcius and strong wind.
I have not activated/set up any voice assistance, use mate 10 pro with ldac codec and max sound quality settings.

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #940 of 2,082
I picked up some QC35 ii yesterday. I have the 1000m3s which I think are terrific but they just cook my ears even after a short period of use.

I’ll be honest I am little underwhelmed by the QC35 iis. The sound is ok without being spectacular, the volume is however noticeably lower (tested on both an iPhone x and Note 9) On the Sony’s (or Beats studio 3s for that matter) I am usually around 50% volume, 60% tops whereas on the QC35s I have to turn it up significantly, I’d say that anything below 50% is just not listenable and that 70-90% is needed. Not the end of the world I guess but I find it a little disconcerting having the volume that high!

IMO the Sony’s are definitely better across the board other than comfort and their ear cooking tendencies. I am on the fence as to whether to return the Bose TBH. I have the Beats too that I was planning to sell but I’d actually say that the ANC is only slightly worse than the Bose and the overall listen is more enjoyable. YMMV

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #941 of 2,082
I have the Bose QC35, and I have the Beats Studio3 Wireless and I currently also have the Sony WH-1000XM3 and I more or less agree. The Beats Studio3 Wireless feels underrated at this point, might be to how poor reputation Beats have gotten especially with the high-end/HiFi crowd? The Beats Studio3 Wireless has a decent ANC. I still find the Bose QC35 and WH-1000XM3 to be better, but the differences aren't huge.

The Beats Studio3 Wireless (at least when used with a iPhone) has hands down the best range and they have a better microphone. The audio isn't bad either, I would rate it higher than the Bose QC35. The QC35 has some awkward EQ that makes vocals/spoken word sound off. I don't like it. And the ANC creates this awful feel of vacuum that that Sony WH-1000XM3 and Beats Studio3 Wireless don't.

The drawback with the Beats Studio3 Wireless is it's extremely v-shaped sound profile. The soundstage feels very narrow which works for spoken word and commutes as it makes it easier to hear a lot of stuff but it makes the audio lack liveliness and space. It ends up feeling really cramped.

Good thing with the Bose QC35 is the fact that they don't shut down or act up when using in cold weather. I'm not sure what's worst, the Beats Studio3 Wireless which shuts down completely when in under 0 degrees celsius or the Sony WH-1000XM3 with its touch controls going completely bunkers making listening impossible..

Nov 28, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #942 of 2,082
The drawback with the Beats Studio3 Wireless is it's extremely v-shaped sound profile. The soundstage feels very narrow which works for spoken word and commutes as it makes it easier to hear a lot of stuff but it makes the audio lack
Simple, Beats = Bass-head headphones/earphones

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #943 of 2,082
The Beats Studio3 Wireless isn't very bass-heavy or bloated, when compared to WH-1000XM3 it's the latter that features a heavier emphasis on bass. V-shaped soundstage doesn't really have much to do with bass. It just compacts all the sound in a very narrow space and putting it front and center.

This silly notion that Beats = Bass is rather stupid and feels outdated. Neither the Beats Studio2, the Beats Studio3 or the Beats Solo3 come off as bass-heavy or bass focused at all. At least not compared to what headphones seem to trend towards no matter the manufacturer you choose these days. If you go back to the original Beats by Dr.Dre made by Monster or the Beats Pro its different but those are years old models as this point.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #944 of 2,082
I've had no problems so far with touch on my xm3, been outside in down to -5 celcius and strong wind.
I have not activated/set up any voice assistance, use mate 10 pro with ldac codec and max sound quality settings.
I wonder if maybe Sony sources certain components from different vendors, such that some units are fine and others are not.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #945 of 2,082
I wonder if maybe Sony sources certain components from different vendors, such that some units are fine and others are not.

I don't know exactly why, but there definitely seems to be differences between the first batch and the most recent batch of XM3's that came out. I believe my headphones are in the second batch (I got them about a month ago, after waiting a few weeks on back order).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back