SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 24, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #691 of 2,082
Anyone had a direct comparison between the XM3 and the original 1000X? Curious about significant ANC difference.

Interesting that you should ask that. I have both the MDR-1000x and the XM3. Brought them both to work yesterday to test the ANC as my workplace has a noisy A/C vent (bad airflow). Also I probably spent about 20 hours 'burning in' the XM3 prior. Turned both headphones on, optimised them then turned on the ANC. I found that the XM3's ANC is more effective and cut out the A/C noise more than the 1000X.

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #692 of 2,082
Just got my headphones 12 hours ago. First impression right out from the box, i think it sounds tiny some sort of box sound with very loose and boomy bass. After few hours of burn in it gets slightly better. Compare to my DT1770 , not even close in terms of clarity. NC works well for me, and its light, i can wear it for hours without having a tired neck. The earcups makes the ear hot after long hours listening. Do you guys experience loud white noise when u place your palm on the right earcup for temoporary ambient sound ?

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #693 of 2,082
Interesting that you should ask that. I have both the MDR-1000x and the XM3. Brought them both to work yesterday to test the ANC as my workplace has a noisy A/C vent (bad airflow). Also I probably spent about 20 hours 'burning in' the XM3 prior. Turned both headphones on, optimised them then turned on the ANC. I found that the XM3's ANC is more effective and cut out the A/C noise more than the 1000X.

Thanks for sharing. Would you say that extra efficiency is substantial? As in worth getting it to replace a 1000X? Curious to hear more findings regarding that.

Also, are there and significant changes to the ambient sound modes? And did they finally shorten those voice prompts "Ambient sound - voice" etc? Those are somewhat long and slow and I hate how they run over music/calls for so long on the 1000X.
Finally, I heard some bad comments regarding the new microphone on the XM3 (quite different from the previous) as being considerably worse for calls. Have you tested that yet?

Do you guys experience loud white noise when u place your palm on the right earcup for temoporary ambient sound ?

There's always a bit of hiss. AFAIK this has been present in all models, although I'm not sure if it is more or less intense in the XM3 vs its older brothers.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #694 of 2,082
Hi beowulf, I can't say the difference in ANC between the 1000x and XM3 is significant. It is noticeable, though. IMHO, the biggest reason to upgrade from the 1000x to XM3 is the SQ. I'm picking up quite a bit of detail in the music I listen to (from classical, orchestral, trailer music to EDM). I didn't really consider the voice prompts as a major problem. WRT microphone for calls, I haven't fully put it through its paces but I can't say I've noticed anything bad about it, tbh. I think it's on par with the 1000x.

Cheers!

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #695 of 2,082
Listening back many of old CD collection, there wasn't any bass to heavy problem. Look like record labels especially those Pop stars label, have intentionally have their songs EQ to heavy bass tuned :frowning2:

Below music is FLAC0 ripped from Chuck Mangione 24K gold audiophile CD

What music player is this? Classic track by the way.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #696 of 2,082
The EQ modifications are only working when using the phone, right ? These are not saved in the xm3's memory or something like that ? If not, do someone has a good Windows 10 EQ software to recommend ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #698 of 2,082
What music player is this? Classic track by the way.
Samsung phones very own Samsung Music Player, come with 10 bands equalizer.

Screenshot_20181024-231141_SoundAlive.jpg

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #699 of 2,082
I think the build quality still a bit shoddy. They need to get that improved. Bose has more ear room and build is better reliable.
Many Bose users said QC35/II has worst quality with many issues

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #700 of 2,082
Samsung phones very own Samsung Music Player, come with 10 bands equalizer.

I'd like to make a clarification. The equalizer in Samsung phones is in the phone's sound settings, and it applies to all sound output from the phone. The Samsung Music app simply has a link to the sound settings. It isn't necessary to run the Samsung Music app to utilize the equalizer.

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #701 of 2,082
Sound quality of the WH1000xM3 (based on my experience after doing my EQ cuts to the bass) is simply fantastic. Just today I was listening to what I think is one of the better albums for gauging sound quality, Dave Matthews Band, Crash and I was just as pleased as possible with the sound quality. The layering and separation of instruments was fabulous, tone and texture sounded as I expected, very natural and yet with just enough signature colour to be engaging and vibrant. The treble is bang on, the cymbal reproduction was just perfect as was, well everything. I have owned that album since it came out in the late 1990s and I have heard it on many systems, speaker and headphones, and I know it well and the xM3 portrayed it as well as I could possibly hope for, and all without a cable. Just last night I was listening to the HD820 powered by speaker taps and I didn't feel it made the music as enjoyable. Yes, it is certainly the more technical and believe me brilliant sounding headphone, but the Sony is just dynamic and engaging, plain and simple.

As always, not when left stock signature, not for me anyway, the bass has to be trimmed in a few places to allow the sound signature and capability of the design to shine through. Left stock I wouldn't even give it a 3 out of 5 for sound quality, personally. I am not saying that the xM3 reproduced everything perfectly, just that how it reproduced things was for me a perfect portrayal given my preferences for a slightly warm and dynamic sound with some weight to notes. I will gladly give up a little air for some meat to the sound, as long as the balance is struck between warmth and accuracy.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #702 of 2,082
As in worth getting it to replace a 1000X?
Hard to give a definitive answer. Sony made incremental improvements across the board — sound quality, ANC, comfort, weight, battery life. No single improvement is enough to justify updating, but the sum total might be worth it for you.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #703 of 2,082
I've been waiting for these to be in stock for weeks and bought them today as soon as they were. I picked them up today and fell in love with them, but then noticed a clicking/popping sound in the left ear when ANC is on. It's when I move my head around or walk, or press on the left cup.

Its very weird as it went away for an hour for some reason and now its back. I can hear it even with music on quietly.

I've read the few other threads with people having similar issues, but they were mostly a month ago and there doesn't seem to be any clear resolution. Some people suggest maybe the first batch wasn't great, or maybe its just on random sets?

I'm leaving the country in a couple of weeks to do a lot of travelling, and thats why I got these.

Do you think theres any chance of a solution, or should I just send them back? I'm so reluctant to go away without them, but I cant live with this popping. Its ridiculous that such expensive headphones have this issue, and its not just a one off.

I doubt its something that can be fixed with firmware? It just sounds like a physical thing, people have mentioned pressure changes. I dont really know

Has anyone got any advice, or got any further with their similar issues? I'm very disappointed!

Thanks

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #704 of 2,082
robodelfy, I can confirm my XM3 does not click or pop when the ANC is on. Mind you, it could be the movement of the headset against your ears but unlikely if it's only from the left side. Recommend doing an exchange for a new one.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #705 of 2,082
robodelfy, I can confirm my XM3 does not click or pop when the ANC is on. Mind you, it could be the movement of the headset against your ear but unlikely if it's only from the left side. Recommend doing an exchange for a new one.
I concurred mine does not exhibit click or pop too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back