SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 26, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #721 of 2,082

I am actually looking for something like this, but a cheaper solution, if there is a cheaper as good as this.

With a quick search, I don't even think that this can fix my issue. I want to listen to music with bt with my pxc 550. I already own a fiio q1, I just need to connect it via cable to my phone.

If there is something to connect my pxc 550 via bt to improve sound.

If not, I'm asking if Sony are louder than my pxc 550

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #722 of 2,082
While I can not do a true A/B test between the PXC550 and the 1000XM3 for loudness I thoroughly tested and reviewed the PXC550 and currently own the 1000XM3 and I think the 1000XM3 are louder.

But the differences in signatures are pretty stark as the 1000XM3 is bordering on dark and has a very polite treble response while the 550 has a more balanced sound with less bass and more treble detail without over reaching and becoming harsh.

The PXC550 also can have two BT sources simultaneously, has a microphone 3.5 cable, and be used from a USB cable with it own built in DAC. The 550 also can hold a modified EQ as well. So is a lot more versatile than 1000XM3.

The XM3 has better ANC though.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #724 of 2,082
Thanks to all for helping me with ANC. I have never bothered to learn about it, but now that I am enjoying this headphone so much I have to make sure that I know how to fully benefit from it. So it looks like I have just been using it with full ANC on and I have loved the effect. I'll experiment more. And yes, it would be easy to miss that Wind Noise Reduction. I swear I had dragged that slider around and not noticed it. Cheers everybody.

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #725 of 2,082
OK so these arrived today...
WIN_20181026_20_40_05_Pro.jpg

NAD HP70 in da house!

Only using them in DAC mode at the moment but so far they are much much more detailed than the 1000XM3. The bass is also more controlled but is heavier than the HP50 for those who have heard that headphone. I would say it les pretty much in the middle. So more than enough bass for me.

In DAC mode they are darned loud! I am using 4-6 out of 50 on my laptop and it's plenty loud for me.

Using DAC mode because I was to impatient to wait for them to charge out of the box. This way I get to let the battery charge and enjoy them at the same time.

These are much more energetic though so if you live the relaxed sound of the 1000XM3 these might be to much. But I also have only used them for around 1 hour so they need a lot more time before I can pass final judgement.

Comfort wise these are pretty good. They are slightly larger than the HP50 so will fit more people which was an issue with the HP50 and the pads are thicker as well. ( Looking at the 2 headphones this morning I had it backwards as the HP50 is actually slightly larger being about 1/4 of an inch longer on the inner diameter of the ear pads. Funnily enough the HP70 is slightly more comfortable, probably due to the thicker pads.) I have had zero changes in pressure when I turn my head which is a minor annoyance with the 1000XM3 so these seal better.

Way to early to make any big statements but I think these have the potential to be … nahhhhh to early LOL

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #727 of 2,082
You have to use the app which lets you change the auto-off time (which seems to be disabled on yours - one improvement compared to the predecessors where you can not use them indefinitely just for ANC without music)

Oct 27, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #728 of 2,082
The auto-off time is based on whether Bluetooth is on or off. If you leave the headphones and phone on your night table and go to sleep without turning Bluetooth off they'll drain overnight no matter what setting. I've tried looking for a way to turn off Bluetooth automatically when there's no audio playing for a while to no avail

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #731 of 2,082
In regards to A/V lag, I've noticed I haven't been paying much attention to even wired connected headphones out of an external DAC and amp. I've been noticing the same amount of lag out of non-wireless setups.

I can give the worst case scenario. When I used to have A&K DAP which also functions as USB DAC. This had worse lag than BT connections.

Anyway, my point is the BT lag in general shouldn't be to the point you'd notice unless really paying attention. There are minor exceptions, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #733 of 2,082
Since the 1000xm3 is more for a bass head, I wonder does eq make it more neutral? And should I get one even though my listening experience of it is too bassy for me even though I like my pair of se215?

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #734 of 2,082
Since the 1000xm3 is more for a bass head, I wonder does eq make it more neutral? And should I get one even though my listening experience of it is too bassy for me even though I like my pair of se215?
Not true, Sony 1000XM3 is not for bass head.

It's the music label fault, they intentionally boosted the bass heavily. Albums like the newest A Star Is Born OST, Drake Scorpion, Ella Mai and so on albums SQ was Bass-Head tuned.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #735 of 2,082
Not true, Sony 1000XM3 is not for bass head.

It's the music label fault, they intentionally boosted the bass heavily. Albums like the newest A Star Is Born OST, Drake Scorpion, Ella Mai and so on albums SQ was Bass-Head tuned.

That's a ridiculous statement. Most albums sound bass heavy with these headphones whereas they sound fine with QC25, QC35 and the PX. Even previous versions of sony WH1000X or X2 sound ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back